Police blamed for tragic deaths

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2013, 09:13 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Police blamed for tragic deaths

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-failings.html

Now I know it’s the Daily Mail, but I can’t see how the police are to blame for this.

She knew the threats were there as she was the one who informed the police. They then arrested him, but based on ‘innocent until proven guilty’, he was released on bail pending further enquires.

They then visited her again and told her of the outcome and offered her advice for her safety, such as offering a safe refuge etc

What more are they expecting the police to do.

I notice the doctor did not inform anyone that he had attended the surgery in a distressed state clinging onto a picture of his son – but does that cross patient/doctor confidentiality – and if so, should that have been broken in cases such as this?

A tragic story as 4 people have lost their lives in this incident and it’s really down to one person who is at fault. But I think society try and blame everyone else for it.

Just wondered what other people thought
Old 23 October 2013, 09:32 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trouble is the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. In this case if they had managed to impress on her the dangers and she had upped sticks and gone to a safe house only for nothing to happen they would doubtless be accused of over reaction and wasting people's time etc.

How many times do the police hear a gilted ex lover or the likes make threats and yet nothing ever comes of it. Whilst there may be failings in this case I think in general it's a hard one to call as the line between threats and action is rarely crossed.
Old 23 October 2013, 12:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad story but the cops aren't qualified to assess mental health issues and if anyone is to "blame" it must be the medics who decided he was OK to release. But you can't lock up everyone who threatens a loved one.

With hindsight I guess the only thing the family could have done was move away.

dl
Old 23 October 2013, 10:40 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Reading the report, the police failed to inform her that she was "at a high risk of Homicide" -- therefore, in my opinion, they are to blame..

Instead of 'investigating' they should have taken immediate action to protect the victims -- not 'advised' them..