Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Phone contract up soon, new phone given???

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2013, 08:51 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phone contract up soon, new phone given???

Just a quick question. I'm soon coming to the end of my 24 month contract. It's my first ever contract as I was always payg before. Question is, when the contract is up, do they offer you a free new phone?
Old 12 October 2013, 08:57 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

You can upgrade, so keeping your tariff, and getting a slightly better phone.
Or you can get a new contract and get a new phone and tariff you want, and also change networks.
Or you could phone up your supplier, say that you wanna leave. They will ask why so you say what phone you want, and what tariff you want and they will try and match it (they usually do).
Old 13 October 2013, 12:22 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait till my contract is up,i got fed up of the phone case so didn't use it,my phone is now battered around the sides,plus i usually don't go for crappy plastic..
Old 13 October 2013, 04:12 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LDNSTi
Just a quick question. I'm soon coming to the end of my 24 month contract. It's my first ever contract as I was always payg before. Question is, when the contract is up, do they offer you a free new phone?
They will probably offer you certain phones for free but you still have to pay something towards the more expensive ones, depends what your after.
Old 13 October 2013, 04:18 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze
They will probably offer you certain phones for free but you still have to pay something towards the more expensive ones, depends what your after.
That's correct. Or you may have to pay the highest contract fee to get a new iPhone model handset absolutely free.

The ones that come totally free with cheaper contracts are usually dated or inferior handsets.
Old 14 October 2013, 02:09 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

The chances are, the network will do nothing. They will quite happily continue to provide the same service for the same money, as effectively you have paid of the hp for the phone, so they are making more profit.

They will allow you to sign a new contract, where it all starts again. New phone, different terms and new minimum contract term.

You can move to a SIM only contract, where you will get the same or better service for less money as you aren't paying for the phone if you are happy with your current one, or you can cancel the service.

Either way, you need to get in contact with the network or reseller to ask them what they will offer you. Don't think they will automatically get in touch.
Old 16 October 2013, 12:46 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

As said, I doubt they will contact you direct, although you might get a phone call from someone claiming to work for the network but actually doesn't.

They've just bought the data of people coming to the end of their contract so they can sign you up instead on the network direct.

If you're happy with the phone, go sim only, you'll get better value for money.

If you want a new phone and can't afford to buy one, ring up your network and ask what's available for you.

If you can afford to buy the phone you want, buy it outright and then go sim only and save money in the long run.

http://www.best-payg-deals.co.uk/
Old 16 October 2013, 04:57 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

The wife's iPhone contract ran out last month, as she was happy with the phone she got a gift gaff sim only payg. Very good deal for £10 a month.