Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What do you reckon?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2013, 09:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What do you reckon?

Just bought a new car, well new for me, it's a couple of years old.

Two of the alloy wheels were kerbed - as part of the deal the Dealer said, "We'll refurbish those, you won't notice the repair" .... fair enough, deal done.

Now, this car has 'special' alloy wheels, a kind of shadow chrome/gunmetal effect - all part of the Special Edition of this car.

I arrive to collect the car yesterday, the wheels have been repaired - and you can't see where the kerbing was ...... BUT, the two wheels are plain alloy silver!!!!!!!!

The two tyres are on the same side .... but, look on the other side and the wheels are the special gunmetal sheen.

Obviously, I said, "Put it back up for sale and give me my money back!" ...... Dealer not wanting to do that of course - however, the wheel sprayer/dent man was there.

He said that it's impossible to spray the shade that was there originally - it has to be silver!! Now, I think that's bollox! I said just spray all four wheels gunmetal ... as long as it isn't bog standard silver!

He said he cannot spray gunmetal ...... WTF? Is he 'aving a larf or is it not possible?

Finally he said he could spray them the same as a Honda Type R ..... now, I thought these were gunmetal - but they're not - just a darker silver!!

Anyone know what's what here .... am I being taken for a dumb ***?

Last edited by pslewis; 05 October 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05 October 2013, 09:26 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis

Two of the alloy wheels were kerbed - as part of the deal the Dealer said, "We'll refurbish those, you won't notice the repair" .... fair enough, deal done.

Now, this car has 'special' alloy wheels, a kind of shadow chrome/gunmetal effect - all part of the Special Edition of this car.

I arrive to collect the car yesterday, the wheels have been repaired - and you can't see where the kerbing was ...... BUT, the two wheels are plain alloy silver!!!!!!!!

The two tyres are on the same side .... but, look on the other side and the wheels are the special gunmetal sheen.

Obviously, I said, "Put it back up for sale and give me my money back!" ...... Dealer not wanting to do that of course - however, the wheel sprayer/dent man was there.

He said that it's impossible to spray the shade that was there originally - it has to be silver!! Now, I think that's bollox! I said just spray all four wheels gunmetal ... as long as it isn't bog standard silver!

He said he cannot spray gunmetal ...... WTF? Is he 'aving a larf or is it not possible?

Finally he said he could spray them the same as a Honda Type R ..... now, I thought these were gunmetal - but they're not - just a darker silver!!

You can do anything to a set of wheels, cost dependant! Did you get written onto your deposit note that he would repair and make right the wheels?
Old 05 October 2013, 09:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I paid for the whole car upfront - I got a good deal as he wanted the cash in the September accounts.

The contract states "Refurbish Damaged Wheels".

Dealer has been good, he will spray all four (or should I say, pay for them to be sprayed by a mobile sprayer/dent knocker) - but plain silver all round simply isn't correct for this Special Edition.

The Manufacturer calls these wheels - 'Tinted Alloys' - they are a very attractive deep shadow chrome/gunmetal colour.

I suspect they simply don't want to spend too much money getting it close to correct.

The Dealer is giving me another car on Friday while they try to get it right, they are spraying a single wheel and then get me to look it over ...... if I agree to it they will do all four.

I just want them to be different, as befits a Special Edition.

Last edited by pslewis; 05 October 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05 October 2013, 09:39 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I paid for the whole car upfront - I got a good deal as he wanted the cash in the September accounts.

The contract states "Refurbish Damaged Wheels".

Dealer has been good, he will spray all four (or should I say, pay for them to be sprayed by a mobile sprayer/dent knocker) - but plain silver all round simply isn't correct for this Special Edition.

The Manufacturer calls these wheels - 'Tinted Alloys' - they are a very attractive deep shadow chrome/gunmetal colour.

I suspect they simply don't want to spend too much money getting it close to correct.

The Dealer is giving me another car on Friday, they are spraying a single wheel and then get me to look it over ...... if I agree to it they will do all four.

I just want them to be different, as befits a Special Edition.
Well he seems to be working with you at least. What car is it? Are they a diamond cut alloy or simply painted?

Lets face it any colour / finish can be pretty much achieved with the right paint shop. If they are diamond cut (like a 19" M3 alloy) they are pretty expensive to do, but this is something obviously he should have known and should absorb.

Just as a note, I would recommend you never hand over all the balance until you come to complete the deal and drive the car away. Just makes your position a little weaker I would say and also can potentially expose you.

Last edited by S555 MKR; 05 October 2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05 October 2013, 09:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

They are painted, it's a Mazda.
Old 05 October 2013, 09:44 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Even Halfords sell a gunmetal colour! lol

I guess you will need to see what he has done with this 'sample' wheel for you and take it from there.

Good luck
Old 05 October 2013, 09:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Have you still got that MX5, PS? We also have it in our family now. Nippy and sexy little things, aren't they?

By the way, you should be able to get wheels re-painted as you like. I've never heard before that you can only have it in this-or-that colour only. That's my guess, anyway.

Last edited by Turbohot; 05 October 2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05 October 2013, 09:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Cheers!

I stood open mouthed when he said he couldn't do gunmetal ...... I nearly said, "You're in the wrong business then" - but he may have had a valid point.

I'm sure he can paint them gunmetal - or add black into the silver? Maybe paint silver and then put black into the lacquer?
Old 05 October 2013, 09:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
have you still got that MX5, PS? We also have it in our family now. Nippy and sexy little things, aren't they?

By the way, you should be able to get wheels re-painted as you like. I've never heard before that you can only have it in this-or-that colour only. That's my guess, anyway.
I still have my fantastic 1995 MX5, love it .... but, due to my arthritis it's getting harder for me to drive it

So, I went and bought a 2011 MX5 KENDO in Dolphin Grey Mica - it's the RC 2.0litre model ........ as part of this model it has tinted alloys. It's absolutely brilliant - but this wheel thing is annoying me.

It can be done then is what I'm hearing?
Old 05 October 2013, 09:52 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers!

I stood open mouthed when he said he couldn't do gunmetal ...... I nearly said, "You're in the wrong business then" - but he may have had a valid point.

I'm sure he can paint them gunmetal - or add black into the silver? Maybe paint silver and then put black into the lacquer?
Quite often wheels have a paint code themselves, I presume he knows this? A simple gunmetal with plenty of hard lacquer for the wheel and I'm sure you would be happy though.

Just to mention I am a trader myself and if I felt there was an issue getting the wheels back to standard that should have been broached to you at the point of sale.....not on hand over

Last edited by S555 MKR; 05 October 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05 October 2013, 09:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I would like to send them the code for the wheels, then no excuses.
Old 05 October 2013, 09:55 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I still have my fantastic 1995 MX5, love it .... but, due to my arthritis it's getting harder for me to drive it

So, I went and bought a 2011 MX5 KENDO in Dolphin Grey Mica - it's the RC 2.0litre model ........ as part of this model it has tinted alloys. It's absolutely brilliant - but this wheel thing is annoying me.

It can be done then is what I'm hearing?
Oh, right. Yeah, it can be done in my opinion. I can't see why not, PS.
Old 05 October 2013, 09:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not a lot
Old 05 October 2013, 10:04 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I would like to send them the code for the wheels, then no excuses.
Mazda should give you this info if you ring the local dealership. Sometimes you will get the odd one that will be a little unhelpfull but just try another dealership is what we do. They might not always be able to put there hands on the info right away but will find it out for you.

This is what an actual bodyshop more often then not will do unless they have a matching service where they scan the colour.

Andy
Old 05 October 2013, 10:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I've e-mailed Mazda UK for a paint code .... also asked them if they can supply replacement wheels of this type (as the Dealer claims he cannot get them as Mazda don't sell them anymore, it's only a 24 month old model!!!! I think he just doesn't want to buy new ones for me!).
Old 05 October 2013, 10:14 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

He dosn't need to buy new wheels for you, in your contract with him you have agreed for him to 'refurbish damaged wheels'. I agree the wheels should be of good quality and the same colour of course, but the agreement wasn't to replace them?

If they are simply kerbed as you stated on the OP there is no need to replace!

As above I would attempt to get the code for the finish from Mazda (if they have a code). If not then take them to a paint supplier or bodyshop that can scan the original wheel and from that mix the paint for the job. He can then have them painted by his usual painter. Really he should be doing all this for you.
Old 05 October 2013, 10:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Not a lot

I know you talk in dpbian language, Duncan , but what do you mean by that^???

Anyone?
Old 05 October 2013, 10:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S555 MKR
He dosn't need to buy new wheels for you, in your contract with him you have agreed for him to 'refurbish damaged wheels'. I agree the wheels should be of good quality and the same colour of course, but the agreement wasn't to replace them?

If they are simply kerbed as you stated on the OP there is no need to replace!

As above I would attempt to get the code for the finish from Mazda (if they have a code). If not then take them to a paint supplier or bodyshop that can scan the original wheel and from that mix the paint for the job. He can then have them painted by his usual painter. Really he should be doing all this for you.
He should be, but he has my money and would rather I just buggered off ..... he did agree that the wheels were different on each side of the car.

I now have two silver wheels and two 'special' wheels ..... so, we need to get all four to my liking.

It's just that the painter said he couldn't do gunmetal and I think that's bollox ...... quite why he said that puzzles me somewhat?

I am happy for all wheels to be the same, and for them to be different to all the other MX5 wheels (which are silver) - as that's one of the reasons the KENDO costs more than the rest!
Old 05 October 2013, 10:53 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Toss

Last edited by zip106; 06 October 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05 October 2013, 11:20 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Subaru ever give a paint code for their Prodrive wheels........Bright Flitter for example?

Shaun
Old 06 October 2013, 12:52 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

What kind of car dealer paints two wheels a different colour?!?!?!
Old 06 October 2013, 07:39 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro

This▲▲▲▲
Old 06 October 2013, 08:49 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Yet another PSL windup,

special wheels, like your, pre mobile mobile- free contract, & dead pixel pedro.

Running out of trolling topics lol

Mart
Old 06 October 2013, 09:02 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

A mobile repair will only last a couple of years at best. I would agree to take the car as is only if they refund you £300 to get the wheels sprayed yourself. At present, the car you paid for is not as described and you have no obligation to take it.

In future though, don't be a complete tool and hand over all of the money before you are happy with it. School boy error there Pete.
Old 06 October 2013, 09:03 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
It is staggering - maybe most people don't notice?
Old 06 October 2013, 09:07 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
A mobile repair will only last a couple of years at best. I would agree to take the car as is only if they refund you £300 to get the wheels sprayed yourself. At present, the car you paid for is not as described and you have no obligation to take it.

In future though, don't be a complete tool and hand over all of the money before you are happy with it. School boy error there Pete.
I know about the paying all up front ..... I wouldn't normally do it - but, end of the month and end of the quarter meant a cracking deal as they needed that sale for their bonuses.
Old 06 October 2013, 10:06 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You said it.
Old 06 October 2013, 11:30 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mart360
Yet another PSL windup,

special wheels, like your, pre mobile mobile- free contract, & dead pixel pedro.

Running out of trolling topics lol

Mart
It is staggering - maybe most people don't notice?

It really is isn't it
Old 06 October 2013, 12:01 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

.... am I a dumb ***?
Old 06 October 2013, 03:54 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Frankly Pete I am appalled at this level of service from the garage, but then what did you expect? if you replaced your car every year like most normal people do then you would have received the level of service you were expecting. I suggest that in future, if you have such a high expectation of service you eplavce yur car yearly like the rest of us.

Quick Reply: What do you reckon?