Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody got a Snooper Radar Detector?

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2013, 07:54 PM
Scooby-kid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Anybody got a Snooper Radar Detector?

Hi all,

Have been thinking about getting one of the GPS speed camera alert type things that also have a detector built in for mobile traps. After a bit of reading it seems that the Snooper 3Zero is highly regarded.

I'm just after some feedback if anyone's got one - I know a lot of people say it's too late if the device has picked up a radar beam but after a bit of a scare earlier in the week (still waiting for potential ticket) after passing a mobile van at silly speeds I think this would be a good investment.

http://www.snooper.co.uk/speed-trap-...-detector.html

Please keep the "just stick to the limit" comments to yourself - we all own fast cars here, and I'm sure many of you stray over the limit when the conditions suit

Many thanks,
Scott.
Old 03 October 2013, 08:08 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old hat now speed detectors
We all used to have them 13 years ago when they were fashionable

Don't think I've seen one for years on a scooby
Most people have sat navigation with speed zones marked now
Old 03 October 2013, 08:38 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I had a snooper and found it would go off with ever shop front i passed. If you travel the same route alot your better off doing the limit on the bits whee you suspect a van would be. Infact you should do the limit all of the time.

Ive heard that the radar used on electric garage doors interfear with camara vans but i can not confirm this.
Old 03 October 2013, 10:50 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

the camera van will use laser not radar

the gps units are good for static camera's but if you drive the same route everyday it wont tell you what you dont already know

if you go different places a lot then the GPS unit is usefull
Old 04 October 2013, 08:03 AM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

I had one about 10+ years ago on my Skyline, seemed to work then but there are apps you can have for free that tell you where speed cameras are on your phone or even on your stereo if you have the correct one.
Old 04 October 2013, 02:27 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have/had a Beltronics (euro550?) one years ago - it's now in my wardrobe. Radar detector was useful for static camera points, but like others have said my in car GPS now flags them up – I just don’t know if they are working or not.
It also has laser detection, but I'm pretty sure you are reliant on 'scatter' for it to work, i.e. the gun is being pointed at another vehicle for it to be useful; having said that, the thing went off once on the A46 just south of Coventry and low and behold, there was a camera van zapping people from one of the bridges, and I was, er, making progress at the time, so it saved me then.

If you want to avoid getting zapped by vans/lasers, then I think the garage door system is your only route. There is plenty written about them on various forums, including stories about perverting the course of justice; I have no idea if that is true, or indeed just stories. There are also items written by people who get zapped by camera vans when they are well under the limit, which then adds substance to the theory that the op just zaps everything in sight and doesn't make a prior opinion before pulling the trigger, not that it would make any difference.
Old 04 October 2013, 06:06 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

The valentine 1 is supposed to be good, never used one though.
Old 07 October 2013, 01:09 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

I still use Road Angel - saved me more than once......... especially if I'm travelling outside of my own location and don't know where the cameras are...

Tried the Sat Nav versions, found them to be crap myself - kept on going back to Road Angel and never regretted it.
Old 07 October 2013, 01:47 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Not sure if it's available in the UK but over here we use the Coyote system - about £150 to buy the unit then around a £5 per month. It has all the known sites and also picks up the mobile ones (don't really know how it does that but it does), there's a new version coming out that is also being linked to the police helicopters that are used for speeding (again no idea how that works either but apparently is does) - it's extremely efficient and has the big advantage of actually being legal (as long as you have the monthly subscription).

You think it's a load of old b*ll*cks but when you're travelling at speed and the thing goes off you slow down and low and behold around the next corner is a flic with a radar gun hiding in the bush - amazing stuff

P.S. It's not a radar or laser detector, it's a "danger area" warning device. The logic they've used to legalise it is that the police are only using their mobile devices/laser guns/etc in "danger areas" (otherwise they would be just to earn pennies and we all know they would never do that) and therefore a device that warns and informs of "said danger areas" cannot be construed as being illegal, lol.

Last edited by LVC; 07 October 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07 October 2013, 01:54 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a 3Zero.

As said, it goes off a lot for false alarms.

But I still use it for when I'm in unfamiliar territory - it might just save me one day.

Last edited by joz8968; 07 October 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07 October 2013, 02:13 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

had one on my last Scooby, didn't do much, beeped for no reason a few times, never near a camera ..
Old 07 October 2013, 02:32 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a road angel which after many years seems to have died, i think its just the battery though.

Helped me out a few times, i always have it on in the scooby, easier to see while getting a wriggle on as you dont have to look at the dash and it does remind you about the ones you have forgotten about, esp on those early morning/late night runs where the mind is elsewhere!
Old 07 October 2013, 03:37 PM
Scooby-kid
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys

Scott.
Old 07 October 2013, 03:48 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...As eluded to above, if nothing else, it acts as an incredibly accurate speedo lol.