Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

speeding points

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2001, 08:06 PM
JW390898
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant believe it only doing 42 in a 30 and the *******s got me on one of those hand held laser jobbies - 3 pts coming up, thing is i want some advice at what point if you tell you insurance should you immediate?or on renewal etc, or can you stay stum on it?

On the same topic doies anyone know if snoopers and the likes (radar detectors etc) actually are any good, i know snooper have a full package which can supposedly spot anything currently in use and costs aorund about 500 notes by the time you get all the modules.

Any advice on these pts much appreciated.
Old 06 May 2001, 08:12 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I can't believe it either, 42 in a 30 and you're moaning

Sorry, I don't mean to appear rude but if you break the rules you should expect to get busted!

Bob

PS welcome to Scoobynet
Old 06 May 2001, 08:28 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It's also traditional that I don't give any sympathy whatsoever to speeding posts.....something to do with living in a 30 limit and seeing every other car speeding through it...

Radar detectors are a total waste of money - the only way to be 100% sure of not getting nicked is to keep to the speed limits.
Old 06 May 2001, 08:31 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

On the whole 30 limits are there for a reason. National speed limits are fair game though.

Steve
Old 06 May 2001, 09:44 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry fella,

42 in a 30 and three points! I'd have given you six!

42 wasn't a slight slip of the right foot, it's a blatant dis-regard for the restricted speed limit.

I take it you don't have kids??

Learn from this and watch your speed around town

Regards
Data
Old 06 May 2001, 10:01 PM
JW390898
Scooby Regular

Granted i would have always agreed with you (and never really push my luck) but this was an A road with a hand held just 25 yards from where it becomes a 40 from a 30, no houses or even a single shop just field, now why else other than to earn money - people speeding down built up roads by schools and so on then yeah get em but (hands held i got done and accept a fine etc) but pts for it just feels harsh regardless of your black and white legal or not bull**** - you telling me that you never exceed 34 as thats all (had a a convo wiv the pig) you need to be doing - i think youd feel a bit harshly done by!

Ne ways my real question was anyone know if you have to declare pts immiediately or on renewal and do 3 make a diff, not do you think I deserved it.
Old 06 May 2001, 10:27 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

I think it say's it on the ticket, but you have to inform insurance co as soon as possible, advisable would be in letter form just incase you have an incident and they say "ah but you told us you only had x points".

Si
Old 06 May 2001, 10:34 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Wink

Hi

Well Well

All you asked was about snoopers and you get pounced on for speeding

Whilst I don't condone it Please don't all stand there saying YOU DON'T

Anyway I have a Snooper 812 Detector
Great but it does pick up a lot of pelican crossing radar but on the Main roads it has been very useful
Also those mini Gatso cameras (so liked by the Essex Constabulary) send the little thing mad

Also got a snooper defractor Very handy against the hand helds

Phil
Old 07 May 2001, 01:05 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jamie check yer email,
Cheers
SCOOP
Old 07 May 2001, 02:49 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Yeah nice one guys, man gets done for speeding and all you can do is shoot him down. Speeding, not dangerous driving. Dont class the man as a criminal.

Cem
Old 07 May 2001, 04:57 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>a hand held just 25 yards from where it becomes a 40 from a 30 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never feel sympathy for people done for speeding but this is an example of blatant revenue grabbing!

However, you were still breaking the speed limit in the 40 zone by 2mph LOL
Old 07 May 2001, 02:11 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JW390898:

Ne ways my real question was anyone know if you have to declare pts immiediately or on renewal and do 3 make a diff, not do you think I deserved it.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, then wouldn't the simplest thing be to pick up the phone and ask your insurance company, then you will know. Only they know the answer.

Old 07 May 2001, 03:25 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry I was looking for Scooby net and found the Mary Whitehouse old mens club.

Quote:- "The only way to avoid speeding fines is to stick to the limits"

I don't remember him asking for that, if you cannot answer the question then don't keep spouting the I don't speed and have no points or claims aren't I clever line. Sure he's 42 in a 30, he's been done and that's it, he asked a straightforward question and the old ladies come out again.

Actually the only way to NOT get done is not to drive at all, as anyone can make a mistake. I make no judgement on anyone as it could just as easily have been me. If only you DAVE and BOB could be so open minded to accept the law as it is and that people are actually prone to making mistakes, then again I'm sure you were both Taxi Drivers

Quote "Hey I had that John Prescott in the back O me cab last week, told me to put me foot down !!! " Bloody Hangings too good for the like O them.......

Regards
CK
Old 07 May 2001, 04:30 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi camk,
WELL SAID M8.
Considering that there`s a thread on Scoobynet at the moment "RADAR DETECTORS group buy" which has had over 60 posts so far, can we assume that some Scooby drivers might drive above the speed limit, or wot??

I havent noticed you guys who are so Anti-speeding have a go at that thread.

Easier to have a pop at 1 guy who asks for some freindly advice huh !!!
Old 07 May 2001, 05:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad luck m8 - if we're honest we have all broken the speed limit enough to get caught on many occasions - I have not been caught previously because of good luck, but more recently because of extra training which has slowed me down in 30 limits - sounds odd, but the advanced driving bods often suggest leaving the car in 3rd gear in a 30 zone - although it is very easy to accelerate, you have to mean to do it, and sticking to 30 is really quite easy once you get into the habit of doing it. The points and probable extra insurance premium are bad luck, but maybe it will be the trigger for changing your habits a little (by saying that I am not being patronising or idealistic I hope). It has to be argued that if you had to choose a speed limit for the police to enforce it would be the 30mph limits as this is where the pedestrian fatalities occur. Regarding detectors I do not have one, but according to an EVO review the Bel 900 series were said to be the best - Valentine One were also rated but are better for LHD cos of the angle of the display. However, these COULD be banned at some point, and realistically they are unlikely to help you with laser since there is so little scatter for the detector to pick up on and by the time it did you would be caught. They do help quite effectively with GATSOs from the sounds of it. Morpheus Geodesy would also be worth looking at? Try the speed trap bible website - don't have the URL sorry. My conclusion is "enjoy" national speed limit A/B roads where safe to do so, be incredibly careful in 30 zones, and almost as careful on M/dual. You can still enjoy the car and keep your license that way.
Old 07 May 2001, 06:49 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I don't really give a to55 what any of you think about me slagging off 30 limit speeders - I live in a rural 30 limit and watch every other car speeding through our village - where there are loads of kids, cyclists, horse riders, walkers on the roads. Last year my neighbour was killed in a car accident just up the road where speed was a factor. The same year a kid was knocked off his bike 100 yards from my house by a speeding driver and was lucky to survive.

The law is the law, yes sometimes it is an ***, but if it says a 30 limit than that is that - stick to it, if you don't think it is fair - tough! If you think you know better and get nicked, hard luck.

And yes before I am accused of being a hypocrite I do stick rigidly to the 30/40/50 limits - despite what people say in this thread it isn't difficult if you actually pay some modicum of attention to what you are doing.

I did actually answer both the questions - re points and insurance - ask your insurer; do radar detectors work - no, the only sure way is to keep to the limits.
Old 07 May 2001, 11:03 PM
JW390898
Scooby Regular

Do I need post in a different language for you? if you read back then I clearly state that the start of the A road has no shops,houses schools not a single sodding building (and also state I agree with regards anywhere you have children,shoppers life!) I also live in rural in a village so can also relate.

Still being that I only used it as an opener for my questions and not a sympathy cry as despite the fact that I resent cameras being mounted in what can only be revenue gaining positions as apposed useful areas such as those you named I hold my hands up to having exceeded limits.

I inquired about points as its very hard to phone your insurance co. and ask without telling them (which was what i was asking), but i will take your detector opinion on board - cheers.

Perhaps more careful analysis of a post before preaching the samaritan may be in order.
Old 08 May 2001, 08:17 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Edited because I decided I couldn't be bothered to respond.....

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 08 May 2001).]
Old 08 May 2001, 09:28 AM
networx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't buy a 'snooper' they will just give you a good warning on traffic lights, automatic doors.

Check out
Old 09 May 2001, 08:11 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Did you get stopped? Roadside hand held hairdryer laser guns don't video, so you will only get nicked if you were stopped. If it was a tripod mounted camera, then they normally have video, and thus you have to sit and sweat for 3 weeks or so, but these cameras are normally hidden in vans/MPVs.

Once you get the points/FPN tell insurers straight away, 3 points has very little effect on premium anyway. I have 12 points for insurance purposes, and only pay 12% more than if I had a clean license.

Some Radar detectors do work, but only the good ones. Bel 980/990 are the best out there, detect most things, but are still not infallable. From experience, Snoopers and cobra ones are crap.

As Dave says, the best way to avoid getting nicked is not to speed. Since my latest misdemeanour I have been sticking religiously to all speed limits 20,30,40,50,60,70, it really isn't that hard, and isn't such a dramatic lifestyle alteration. The upside is being able to drive without paranoia

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 09 May 2001).]
Old 09 May 2001, 09:04 AM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

DON'T tell the insurance company right away. You are not required to disclose such information until time of renewal.

My wife is an insurance broker (political risk but the same principles) who has recently passed insurance exams and assures me that the price you paid for your 12 months cover covers you for 12 months regardless of things like this.

They assess you at the time of the quote. You don't expect to pay more if you have an accident half way through the year do you.
Same here. And in fact you are not abliged to tell them either.

There certainly are some 30mph limits which are a total joke. Please don't think that there is something sacred about all 30mph zones! There are people who are quite happy to cruise around motorways at 100 then come over all holier than thou when someone does 40 in a 30 regardless of what that particular road may be like, eg no houses, no pedestrians and certainly no "little-kiddies-on-tricycles"...
Both situatiuons are breaking the law and both may well be perfectly acceptable in my opinion.
Old 09 May 2001, 09:19 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

I bet you never got done in the Pug eh Jamie ?
Andyp
Old 09 May 2001, 01:54 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BT52b:
<B>DON'T tell the insurance company right away. You are not required to disclose such information until time of renewal.

[/quote]

On your head be it a claims investigator I know always checks license status as a first port of call. For the sake of a couple of quid increase I wouldn't take the risk.

The price is the price for 12 months, so current premium won't (or shouldn't) change, but they could still refuse or at least delay any payouts if there is a discrepancy with your points tally!!