Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Muscle in back ..

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2013, 01:15 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Muscle in back ..

Been doing a lot of crossfit and hurt my back due to what I assume was bad form, to the right of my spine. Not overally painful but enough to make me take notice.

Went away after a few days and I was back lifting. This morning I got out the shower and it just came back, it's sore enough to stop me taking a deep breath. Goes away if I lie on my back for a bit.

Any ideas?
Old 18 September 2013, 02:12 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See a Doctor, but I know from experience that back muscles can take ages to heal - if indeed is a muscle - white muscle and all that stuff.

I used to be gung ho about injuries and now I move more stiffly 'cos of that. Now I let it rest.
Old 18 September 2013, 02:50 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Worth bothering a doctor for ?
Old 18 September 2013, 03:06 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've stuffed up the muscle that runs vertically along my back in line with my collar bone - a real stabbing pain. Physio has helped - it's partly because a recurring old dislocation makes my back muscles try and do the work my shoulders should be doing - one of the muscle/tendon is quite slack, the other end in ultra toned - weird!
Old 18 September 2013, 03:07 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
See a Doctor, but I know from experience that back muscles can take ages to heal - if indeed is a muscle - white muscle and all that stuff.

I used to be gung ho about injuries and now I move more stiffly 'cos of that. Now I let it rest.

Why bother? Doctors are just overpaid fatcats with massive pensions raping the taxpayer in their state sponsored monopoly. They are also "insert some nonsense TDW has regurgitated from an A'level sociology text book here"
Old 18 September 2013, 03:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is crossfit good for you?
Old 18 September 2013, 03:37 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I've stuffed up the muscle that runs vertically along my back in line with my collar bone - a real stabbing pain. Physio has helped - it's partly because a recurring old dislocation makes my back muscles try and do the work my shoulders should be doing - one of the muscle/tendon is quite slack, the other end in ultra toned - weird!
In the sense that they have made themselves gatekeepers to health care then yes it is necessary if you think you have an injury that might need treatment.

Old 18 September 2013, 04:29 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

TdF; a physio helped fix it not a doctor!

And the muscle I meant runs along the shoulder blade (scapula) not collar bone (clavicle); oops!
Old 18 September 2013, 04:44 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

See a good sports massage therapist.
Old 18 September 2013, 04:52 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Is crossfit good for you?
If you do it right .. clearly I've done something wrong somewhere ..

Originally Posted by mamoon2
See a good sports massage therapist.
Expensive ?
Old 18 September 2013, 06:14 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

TdF; a physio helped fix it not a doctor!

And the muscle I meant runs along the shoulder blade (scapula) not collar bone (clavicle); oops!
At the risk of offending any physio's, they know **** all, at least from my experience.

If you have injured something bad enough to need surgery then you have to see a Doctor. Obviously most injuries just need rest and so the physio isn't going to do any damage.
Old 18 September 2013, 06:42 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i agree, massage seems to do more for me than a physio can
Old 18 September 2013, 07:09 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I have physio'd a shoulder back from constantly dislocating to 99% strength.
I have physio'd a very bad knee from hobbling to running a 40 minute 10k.
I have physio'd a bad hip from painful to winning a triathlon two weeks later.

Good physios are worth their weight in gold.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 18 September 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 18 September 2013, 07:25 PM
Type_R_1984
Scooby Regular

Just keep giving your back a good stretch. Might be sore but just take it slowly this will help it heal faster. When your back heals up you should do regular core work. This will stop it from happening again. Hope this helps.
Old 18 September 2013, 07:37 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I came on here with sciatica and a doctor was usless. After 8 weeks of the doctor i decided to see a sports person. He did help but my driving job - sitting down all day didnt. The pain came and went and has done for the last 3 yrs. normally its like an ache but every now and then it stops me in my tracks.

I paid for a bupa checkup and was refered to a specalist. Ironicly the specalist the was the same private guy i was paying to see over the years and he refered me to have an mri scan. Turns out disc 5 in my back is having the jam squeezed out of it.

I go back in a few weeks to see my options. If it stays as an ache i can deal with it. The stabbing pains i cant. Its been three years since it first happened. Just take things very easy until you have had the ok. even if you think its fine, it wont be for a few more weeks.
Old 18 September 2013, 07:46 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've just done my first run in month after being hit in the calf muscle by a surfboard - couldn't walk for three days and been hobbling for ages.

Cycled on it at the weekend - fine. So did a tentative 3.5 mile trail run. First mile was fine, it ached on the second, more so on the third but by then I was nearly home. Exactly 7 min/mile average (fairly speedy for a hilly trail/coast run) then my calf completely seized up and now hurts. Oops.

I had a major back spasm last year - proper agony and was given very strong pain killers; think it was a trapped nerve as it just eventually went but that was a week of serious misery and included a trip to Finland for a few days.

Hope yours works out but maybe it's similar? Do you do pull ups in cross fit? That was what probably knackered my upper middle back.
Old 18 September 2013, 09:10 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I have physio'd a shoulder back from constantly dislocating to 99% strength.
I have physio'd a very bad knee from hobbling to running a 40 minute 10k.
I have physio'd a bad hip from painful to winning a triathlon two weeks later.

Good physios are worth their weight in gold.

You forgot to mention your in laws own a yacht
Old 18 September 2013, 09:17 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
You forgot to mention your in laws own a yacht
Shut your noise you fat b4stard.
Old 18 September 2013, 09:38 PM
ohyainnit
Scooby Regular

Get it checked out mate I ignored a back problem for months now I have found out I got a ruptured disc and I'm waiting for an MRI trust me always worth a 5 min trip to doc
Hope it gets better for you mate
Old 18 September 2013, 09:46 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Shut your noise you fat b4stard.

Having done basic training including officer stuff, I'm apparently highish on some list. Not as high as those who have served "properly" though

Old 18 September 2013, 09:50 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Having done basic training including officer stuff, I'm apparently highish on some list. Not as high as those who have served "properly" though

Well at least I do train. I'm fairly certain you do sweet FA. As well as that you regularly contribute F all to threads and just jump in and take swipes at people. For such a "successful" civil servant, you don't seem very happy. Poor you.
Old 18 September 2013, 09:59 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Well at least I do train. I'm fairly certain you do sweet FA. As well as that you regularly contribute F all to threads and just jump in and take swipes at people. For such a "successful" civil servant, you don't seem very happy. Poor you.

How earth would you have any idea whether I train or not?

In other words you are just being your normal judgmental self. Not that it's any of your business but I exercise regularly and eat well, thanks very much for asking.

Now please do tell us how rich your in laws are, where their yacht is moored and what an athlete you are. I never get bored hearing about it

You must be the first person on SN who talks so much b0llocks that another member has put your b0llock statements on his signature
Old 18 September 2013, 10:06 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Doctors are just overpaid fatcats with massive pensions raping the taxpayer .....
Yeah - that's when they're not raping their patients
Old 18 September 2013, 10:10 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

How earth would you have any idea whether I train or not?

In other words you are just being your normal judgmental self. Not that it's any of your business but I exercise regularly and eat well, thanks very much for asking.

Now please do tell us how rich your in laws are, where their yacht is moored and what an athlete you are. I never get bored hearing about it

You must be the first person on SN who talks so much b0llocks that another member has put your b0llock statements on his signature
What have you contributed to this thread? Absolutely f**k all. What do you contribute to 99% of threads? Absolutely f**k all.

What the f**k has the inlaws boat got to do with anything?

I used examples of why physio can be very good to try and HELP Pimmo. You just take some cheap and completely irrelevant shots. You really are a complete idiot.
Old 19 September 2013, 07:50 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I've just done my first run in month after being hit in the calf muscle by a surfboard - couldn't walk for three days and been hobbling for ages.

Cycled on it at the weekend - fine. So did a tentative 3.5 mile trail run. First mile was fine, it ached on the second, more so on the third but by then I was nearly home. Exactly 7 min/mile average (fairly speedy for a hilly trail/coast run) then my calf completely seized up and now hurts. Oops.

I had a major back spasm last year - proper agony and was given very strong pain killers; think it was a trapped nerve as it just eventually went but that was a week of serious misery and included a trip to Finland for a few days.

Hope yours works out but maybe it's similar? Do you do pull ups in cross fit? That was what probably knackered my upper middle back.
I do, but the pain isn't at the level you or the others with back pain are describing.

I'm not bed ridden, I just get quite down about things that stop me breathing

It feels less aggressive today, I've been using the ICE "cream" stuff .. no not ice cream, you know what I mean, and a pain gel, but I don't feel they are reaching deep enough to help it.

Woke up on my back and couldn't feel it at all, (the pain that is) I'm off work on holiday anyway, so guess it's another wasted day.

I've been reading that rest is only good up to a point, so I'm trying to keep active. Walking etc
Old 19 September 2013, 08:08 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Mine just went on its own; I was still running and generally active apart from the two days it first hit. And breathing hurt too; it sounds quite similar.
Old 19 September 2013, 08:31 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Osteopath, but a proper one that has been to the London school of Osteopaths for about 5yrs, not some gimp in a white coat that did it at night school or over the tinternet, I saw maybe 15 or 20 fakes over a 15yr period to sort a shoulder injury that would pull my back out and trap a nerve on my ribs at the front causing quite debilitating pain, he sorted me totally in about a year and was worth every penny, I still see him 2/3 times a year just to straighten me and align everything, you'd be amazed how crooked a body can get without realising it, being pulled in various directions by different muscles.

Stretch, stretch and then stretch some more.
Old 19 September 2013, 11:04 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

What have you contributed to this thread? Absolutely f**k all. What do you contribute to 99% of threads? Absolutely f**k all.

What the f**k has the inlaws boat got to do with anything?

I used examples of why physio can be very good to try and HELP Pimmo. You just take some cheap and completely irrelevant shots. You really are a complete idiot.

You really have no insight do you?
Old 19 September 2013, 11:09 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

You really have no insight do you?
At least I understand what the word "insight" means.
Now trot along and hassle somebody else you vacuous old fart.
Old 19 September 2013, 11:09 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
If you do it right .. clearly I've done something wrong somewhere ..

Expensive ?
£25 i pay. It's not enjoyable one bit but works wonders

Quick Reply: Muscle in back ..