Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Places to stay/visit in France (driving to Spain)

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2013, 10:35 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Places to stay/visit in France (driving to Spain)

I'm beginning to hatch a holiday plan for next year, basically driving down to Spain to meet up with some friends for a weeks holiday.

I'd ideally like to stop for a couple of days half way there and half way back (ish)

Any ideas or suggestions please, there will be 2 adults and a 5 year old.
Old 14 September 2013, 08:31 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm driving to Spain next year aswell for my wedding but I'm taking the overnight ferri down to Spain instead as its a very long drive otherwise
Old 14 September 2013, 08:38 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We did a lot of touring in France a few years ago and found the Ibis chain quite good.
Old 14 September 2013, 11:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

When you say "places to stay", are we talking things to do/see?
Or just decent hotels?

If it's the former, let us know.

If it's the latter, divide the distance in two and start looking for chain hotels nearby.
Campanile, Ibis, Climat, Balladins etc etc.

Usually decent prices if booked in advance, all do meals.
Old 14 September 2013, 12:44 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Spent just over 2 weeks in Limousin during the summer, loads to do, but not sure you would want to be stopping there?

Have been to Andorra in the summer months and it was pretty crap, despite all the hype about cheap camera kit and electricals etc.
Old 14 September 2013, 04:12 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
When you say "places to stay", are we talking things to do/see?
Or just decent hotels?

If it's the former, let us know.

If it's the latter, divide the distance in two and start looking for chain hotels nearby.
Campanile, Ibis, Climat, Balladins etc etc.

Usually decent prices if booked in advance, all do meals.
Both really, to split the drive up and stay somewhere interesting for a couple of days. More interested in good places to see.
Old 14 September 2013, 04:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Biarritz looks fun - I've not been, but the surf is supposed to be epic

Trending Topics

Old 14 September 2013, 07:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They've got some them nice chateaux in the Loire valley, almost half way if you stick a pin in the map with your eyes closed
Old 14 September 2013, 10:17 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Had a quick look on the map and although your direct route would take you to the west of central region, it is not that much of a diversion to make a stop there.

We stayed in a tiny village called St Martin le Mault, absolutely nothing there other than a fantastic restaurant and pleasant scenery, it was only an hour's drive to Limoges, which is the capital of the region - definitely worth a visit.

If you go, take a trip to oradour sur glane (google it for the detail) but basically a village wiped out in about half an hour by a German Panzer Division in June '44, De Gaulle ordered that the village should not be rebuilt, but remain as a reminder of the events which occurred and as a memorial to those who died that day.

We had our 3 year old twins with us, so we also visited all the tourist stuff. ZooParc du Beauval, was a great day out, with some interesting species and specimens to see. The wild bird display which runs 3 or 4 times thoughout the day, is spectacular. If wild birds are your thing, there is a similar display in the medieval town of Chauvigny, called "geants du ceil".

Vallee Des Singes, is also a good day out, if spending a day around primates is your thing. The setup at the park lets you get up close to the smaller monkeys, but the bigger stuff is kept at a safe distance, but without being behind glass screens. Some great opportunities to photograph the inhabitants of the park if you are into photography.

The evening shows are supposed to be very good at Futuroscope, albeit that they are narrated in French, we didn't go, as we felt the kids were too young.

We also visited l'ile aux serpents and near la trimouille, and Planet Crocodile near Civaux - both were interesting and informative.

I could go on and on, but there is certainly plenty to do, there were loads of things that we simply couldn't do because of the age of our children.
Old 14 September 2013, 10:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Wink

I, on our way to pyrenees ( parent) thought we'd get as far as we could . She (girlfriend ) called a halt after we'd gone past one too many formula 1, and we pulled off road into a hotel de France somewhere near chateauroux if I remember.
Very uninteresting except it was heavy snow next morning for a while
Old 14 September 2013, 11:04 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Biarritz looks fun - I've not been, but the surf is supposed to be epic
It certainly is ;-)

We spent a bit of time there on our five week trip. The whole area is stunning.
But we went in a camper so won't be much help with accommodation ideas'
Old 15 September 2013, 01:48 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Had a quick look on the map and although your direct route would take you to the west of central region, it is not that much of a diversion to make a stop there.

We stayed in a tiny village called St Martin le Mault, absolutely nothing there other than a fantastic restaurant and pleasant scenery, it was only an hour's drive to Limoges, which is the capital of the region - definitely worth a visit.

If you go, take a trip to oradour sur glane (google it for the detail) but basically a village wiped out in about half an hour by a German Panzer Division in June '44, De Gaulle ordered that the village should not be rebuilt, but remain as a reminder of the events which occurred and as a memorial to those who died that day.

We had our 3 year old twins with us, so we also visited all the tourist stuff. ZooParc du Beauval, was a great day out, with some interesting species and specimens to see. The wild bird display which runs 3 or 4 times thoughout the day, is spectacular. If wild birds are your thing, there is a similar display in the medieval town of Chauvigny, called "geants du ceil".

Vallee Des Singes, is also a good day out, if spending a day around primates is your thing. The setup at the park lets you get up close to the smaller monkeys, but the bigger stuff is kept at a safe distance, but without being behind glass screens. Some great opportunities to photograph the inhabitants of the park if you are into photography.

The evening shows are supposed to be very good at Futuroscope, albeit that they are narrated in French, we didn't go, as we felt the kids were too young.

We also visited l'ile aux serpents and near la trimouille, and Planet Crocodile near Civaux - both were interesting and informative.

I could go on and on, but there is certainly plenty to do, there were loads of things that we simply couldn't do because of the age of our children.

Some great information there, thanks. I'll go through it with the missus tomorrow.
Old 15 September 2013, 07:38 AM
kb1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
I'm driving to Spain next year aswell for my wedding but I'm taking the overnight ferri down to Spain instead as its a very long drive otherwise
Good advice its a long drive with a 5 year old in the car
Old 15 September 2013, 08:01 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kb1
Good advice its a long drive with a 5 year old in the car
That's what we did with a 2 and a 4 year old; they absolutely loved the ferry (Pont Aven; more like a cruise ship!).
Old 15 September 2013, 08:29 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Google Marbella bangers. Idif this a few years ago and stayed in the ibis cheap yet good. E taps are very cheap and well, like a hostal
Old 15 September 2013, 09:58 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

We drove down to south of France this year from Calais. Planned to find places to stop somewhere en route but ended up kipping in the scoob for a couple of nights at different aires by the motorway. They are very civilized with picnic tables and toilet/shower blocks. Quite enjoyed ourselves though weather was hot, wouldn't fancy it if cold.
Old 15 September 2013, 12:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The Limousin is nice, there are chain hotels around Limoges and the motorway through there is about 200 miles free.

With youngsters in the car, check that they have plenty to do:
We used:

Home made "spotting" books for country of car, colour of car, car/van lorry, petrol stations etc etc.
Fairy stories on tape...that always produced quiet and calm, no matter how many times we heard them. Can now be had from the local library on CD etc.
Plenty of different music they liked.
When very young, nursery rhymes, counting songs etc etc.
Hand held games.

Edited to say: both ours went from 2 years old...it's easier with one, two can interact badly if they want....

Ours used to do a three or four day journey with mostly ease.

Last edited by alcazar; 15 September 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 15 September 2013, 03:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Generally speaking my road trips to Spain is to bypass as much of France as possible LOL Nothing against France (much), I just prefer Spain.

Bordeaux is a good halfway point when setting off in the UK from the Midlands. As you get there just as rush hour starts, so it makes it a good time to stop as otherwise you'd be sitting around in slow traffic being harassed by ***** on three wheeled scooters. Usually I just stop on the outskirts by the airport so there ain't much there, but I'm told there is more nicer places in the city if I wanted make a few days of it.

What I have done instead is to drive all the way to Northern Spain in one day. Zarautz is just about doo-able in one day's worth of driving if you don't faff about.

Next time I plan to go an extra hour into Bilbao and stop here: http://www.palaciourgoiti.com/en/hotel.html When the A63 (formerly N10) South of Bordeaux is finally finished it should knock off enough journey time to make it there in a day.

I happened to stop there when waiting to catch the Ferry to the UK and they did a discounted room rate that was only £20 more a night than a Ibis. Suffice to say it was worth the extra.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 September 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 15 September 2013, 03:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
That's what we did with a 2 and a 4 year old; they absolutely loved the ferry (Pont Aven; more like a cruise ship!).

Done that a few times.

Great when the sea is calm, But somewhat nauseous when the Bay of Biscay is choppy, both the Pont Aven and Cap Finestere are stabilised, so they don't roll, but that doesn't stop them pitching.

Now I normally don't get seasick, but on one occasion I had to cancel a meal I booked in the restaurant (I was gutted - last chance to have a decent-cooked steak before I reached the UK ). The Cap Finestere is can be a bit claustrophobic if its full IMO, Pont Aven is much roomier.

I also recall shouting at many dozy women in the vehicle hold to keep their handbags/shoulder bags away from my car's bodywork when walking pastmy car and not giving a sh*t that the buckles were scratching against the bodywork of every car they walked past

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 September 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 15 September 2013, 04:39 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Ali; I saw some shockers in the car area too and have a couple of suspicious scuffs on the sliding door. Luckily we were out of the way of most people both ways.

Seeing a woman trying to shove a buggy through a too small gap was a cringe.

Out crossing down was mirror flat. A few feet of swell made the return journey a bit lively but I had two sea sickness pills while everyone else was fine. What a wimp!!
Old 15 September 2013, 05:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

LOL I admit I use the wrist bands "just in case", and they do help.

Its strange how its gets me sometimes...once it was mega choppy and I was fine, but one guy in our party who touted "I don't get seasick" with all his tall stories of choppy booze trips to Calais had literally turned green and spent the whole crossing in bed. Yet on another trip I was sick and he was fine, and that crossing wasn't as bad.
Old 15 September 2013, 06:33 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I went to a stag do once, mostly sailors.
We crossed from Hamble to Cherbourg in a 1917 53ft Bristol Clipper - in a force 9-10 and 15ft swell. A big yacht race was abandoned, we saw nothing but huge tankers as waves relentlessly crashed over the boat.
I was I'll for 12 hours and caught the fast ferry home once we arrived!
Old 15 September 2013, 07:53 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Carcassone is on the way and is very nice.
Old 16 September 2013, 03:47 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I went to a stag do once, mostly sailors.
We crossed from Hamble to Cherbourg in a 1917 53ft Bristol Clipper - in a force 9-10 and 15ft swell. A big yacht race was abandoned, we saw nothing but huge tankers as waves relentlessly crashed over the boat.
I was I'll for 12 hours and caught the fast ferry home once we arrived!
I love the great seas as I do a bit of power boating but that sounds like the worse stag do ever!!!