Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

EU investigation into oil companies

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2013, 09:20 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EU investigation into oil companies

Does anyone know if anything has been released about what is happening with this?

Petrol Price Fixing Dossier Handed to EU Investigators

Just asking as petrol is £1.40 a litre again here!
Old 13 September 2013, 11:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I could write the report for you:

My money would be on: "No price fixing, no profiteering, no profit made on petrol or oil, and the huge profits they make come directly from the fairies.
Oh, and please can me and my mate have directorships when no longer gainfully employed....?"

There, how's that?

Call me a cynic, but we've had just that in the UK SOOOOOO many times.... Why would EC be any different?

Although they do seem to have reigned in the Mobile Phone companies...mine now only charges me 7p a minute to receive calls abroad.
Old 13 September 2013, 12:45 PM
Type20Paul
Scooby Regular

For people unhappy that oil companies make large profits, consider this:
Oil and gas reservoirs are measured in millions or billions of barrels or cubic feet. Oil and gas are commodities. Oil and gas are sold in absolutely enormous quantities.
Now, given that in mind do you not think it is inevitable that a well run company that sells a commodity in millions of units will make large profits? When it comes to percentage of turnover that is profit you will find oil companies are very low compared to the likes of supermarkets and utility companies. Supermarkets aim to make 20-30% on each item sold (as an average), the catering industry looks to make 30% and oil companies? Well they make often much less than 5%. The difference is they sell in bigger volumes. Joe publics issue should really be the tax on the oil or gas that they pay but people see oil companies making big money and think 'oh they are making lots of money, we must hate them'. Is the way oil companies work always righteous and in 'the spirit of the law' surrounding tax etc? No. Are they worse than any other company you care to name? Not at all. So instead of getting excited about BP or Shells profit and loss account why not consider that the company who made the trousers you are wearing or the company from which you purchased your dinner will have sold them for a much bigger profit than the company who supplied you with your petrol.
Old 13 September 2013, 12:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Type20Paul
Oil and gas reservoirs are measured in millions or billions of barrels or cubic feet. Oil and gas are commodities. Oil and gas are sold in absolutely enormous quantities.
Now, given that in mind do you not think it is inevitable that a well run company that sells a commodity in millions of units will make large profits? When it comes to percentage of turnover that is profit you will find oil companies are very low compared to the likes of supermarkets and utility companies. Supermarkets aim to make 20-30% on each item sold (as an average), the catering industry looks to make 30% and oil companies? Well they make often much less than 5%. The difference is they sell in bigger volumes. Joe publics issue should really be the tax on the oil or gas that they pay but people see oil companies making big money and think 'oh they are making lots of money, we must hate them'. Is the way oil companies work always righteous and in 'the spirit of the law' surrounding tax etc? No. Are they worse than any other company you care to name? Not at all. So instead of getting excited about BP or Shells profit and loss account why not consider that the company who made the trousers you are wearing or the company from which you purchased your dinner will have sold them for a much bigger profit than the company who supplied you with your petrol.

So stick that in your pipe

dl
Old 13 September 2013, 12:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yeah thanks for that.

Now can anyone answer the question I raised?
Old 13 September 2013, 01:00 PM
Type20Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Yeah thanks for that.

Now can anyone answer the question I raised?
Just replying to the post above mine. Will make sure to stay resolutely on topic from now on.

Google is your friend
Old 13 September 2013, 01:02 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Brilliantly put.

It's the lot who tax us to death on petrol that need looking at not the oil companies, on every £1 quid of fuel how much of that goes into the Governments pocket?

Trending Topics

Old 13 September 2013, 01:08 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

IIRC about 65p....
Old 13 September 2013, 01:10 PM
Type20Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Brilliantly put.

It's the lot who tax us to death on petrol that need looking at not the oil companies, on every £1 quid of fuel how much of that goes into the Governments pocket?
Around 76.7p is duty and VAT. Around 3.6p to the retailer and delivery company.
Old 13 September 2013, 01:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Well..yes....except that my car doesn't run on Levi 501's, or fish and chips.

Nor does the price of THOSE commodities effect almost everything else sold in the UK.
Old 13 September 2013, 01:26 PM
Type20Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Well..yes....except that my car doesn't run on Levi 501's, or fish and chips.

Nor does the price of THOSE commodities effect almost everything else sold in the UK.
True, but nor is the price of your 501's or fish and chips 76.7% tax.
Old 13 September 2013, 01:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

FFS can we not turn this into a tax argument. Duty on fuel is not a percentage, its a fixed rate and hasn't changed for a good while now. We all know the govermnet are screwing us, but they have been for decades now, nothing has changed on that recently.

This thread isn't some thinly veiled rant about prices in general. I just genuinely wondered if anyone knew anything further about the investigation? It was the £1.40 I paid last night that made me think about it. That's all!
Old 13 September 2013, 02:48 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

FFS can we not turn this into a tax argument. Duty on fuel is not a percentage, its a fixed rate and hasn't changed for a good while now. We all know the govermnet are screwing us, but they have been for decades now, nothing has changed on that recently.

This thread isn't some thinly veiled rant about prices in general. I just genuinely wondered if anyone knew anything further about the investigation? It was the £1.40 I paid last night that made me think about it. That's all!
Old 13 September 2013, 03:35 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
The last increase in fuel duty was to 58p for unleaded and occurred on 23/03/2011 which in the context of the current fluctuation in price and an ongoing investiagtion into price fixing constitutes "a good while"!

Thank you, however, for a contribution from the Daily Telegraph (no doubt one of your favourite newspapapers along with the Daily Mail ) and it's a pity it wasn't remotely on topic, but there you go!
Old 13 September 2013, 04:00 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well since you're the king of going off on a tangent, I thought it was appropriate, however, your grattitude is appreciated.
Old 13 September 2013, 04:15 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear what you are saying, but how can you possibly ignore the tax aspect, when it forms the bulk of the price we pay.
Without wishing to cause offence, it seems to me that any EU or other form of price fixing investigation just looks like so much window dressing for morons who don't understand this and conspiracy types - not saying that you are either.
I wouldn't say the government are screwing us, they are just spending our money for us, because they think we are too stupid to do it for ourselves. C'est la vie.
ps - ain't heard nothing about no investigation.
Old 13 September 2013, 04:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
I hear what you are saying, but how can you possibly ignore the tax aspect, when it forms the bulk of the price we pay.
I'm not ignoring it, I'm just not addressing it in this thread.
Old 13 September 2013, 05:25 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not ignoring it, I'm just not addressing it in this thread.
And I'm still hearing you buddy
Old 14 September 2013, 11:53 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

These so called investigations can go on for years and rarely achieve anything. Same thing happened with the big insurance companys. Taking such action is only the government passing the blame. Their the biggest price fixers of them all.
Old 14 September 2013, 12:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I saw Diesel at £1.48.9 the other day!

Les
Old 14 September 2013, 03:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Still €1.35 in France.

But then, the French government didn't tell lies about particulates in order to bang the duty up on diesel, did they Liebour?