Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Salary or a new challenge

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2013, 02:55 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salary or a new challenge

Ok so here is my predicament. I have been in my company for 6 years I started as a trainee and worked my way up to operations / logistic manager. I've built a team of 5 people and the company has grown from 1. 2 million per annum to what should be 8+ this year. I earn what I consider very good money although we always want more. The dynamics of the company have changed over the last 12-18 months and where I was a part of the decision making and alot more hands on ive found myself out of the loop and not so much involved in the meetings etc

Now .here's the question, now I'm not so much a part of the company and now working for it, my actual job/ position/role is well let's say rather dull and repetative. There is not much i can move to within my company nor really progress earnings wise other than as business grows my commission will increase. So what would you do? Stay and suck it up, leave to pastures new

The issue with leaving is i have no idea what to do next, it very doubtful I will see the same salary especially if I change fields with a potential 40% drop if I do. I've become custom to the salary yet need the challenge of something new

Conservative advice / questions more than appreciated
Old 12 September 2013, 02:58 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id love to do a job i love and get paid for it, but i carry on doing one i dont mind as it pays well.
Old 12 September 2013, 03:10 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Thing is tommy I used to love the place and working for my boss as i was on the pulse with it all. Now it's just a job and although the money is there I'm going mind knumb it's just a big jump to make and the grass is not always greener so I'm curious to what others would do.
Old 12 September 2013, 03:27 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

I was a high flyer now I'm just counting the last few years to retirement taking it easy as stress is a killer ,nearly finished me off

Decision is to be made after asking yourself questions
Are you rich
Plenty money in the bank to last for a year or two
Are your family dependant on you
Morgage
Kids grown up and not need the back of finance
Health
Could you live on half the salery
Try it by putting half of it in the bank for untill after xmas
Travelling time in the day

I get a bigger thrill out of my part time jobs on advisory panels and committees and council then my job
More thanks and appreciation is worth a lot

You need to look at the above questions
I'm looking forward to working part time in a few years time in a gift shop or cafe for pocket money as again with challenge and responsibility comes something more important then cash and that's your health

If you can answer the above and realise you or your family don't need it too much ££££

Go for it
Old 12 September 2013, 03:33 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

i prefer the money to do the things i want when im not at work, kind of makes it worthwhile when the weekend comes.

but if i had the money to be in the position of taking a lower paid job i love id do it today.

unfortunately im not though.
Old 12 September 2013, 03:33 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

stupid double posts
Old 12 September 2013, 06:40 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A difficult decision for sure, Lordy has it pretty much spot on with his advice, I was in a similar predicament about 5 years back, working in a Retail sales/management job which I had done for 10 years and knew inside out but my hand was forced in a way due to unrealistic upper management requirement in a difficult economic climate...And my attitude towards their targets etc...No offense lordy as i know you were in the same business not sure if you worked for Phil Harris though,

I jumped ship and became a self employed tradesman, To be totally honest it's harder work with lots of traveling for similar pay if not less at the quiet times but I get my weekends, bank holidays and time off when I need which suits me fine..the downside obviously no pay, It's a big decision to make so make sure you got all the boxes ticked, Especially if there are kids and a mortgage.

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 12 September 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12 September 2013, 06:50 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Why do you say there are no challenging positions or promotions open to you within the company?
Old 12 September 2013, 07:20 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1 why do you go to work? money ?
2 does your job provide for you a living your happy and comfortable with?
3 are you in a position to change you workplace in a way to stimulate yourself more?
If two or more are yes stop moaning as its more like bragging lol

If 1 isn't yes you need a life budd

Last edited by wrx9181; 12 September 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12 September 2013, 07:30 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
A difficult decision for sure, Lordy has it pretty much spot on with his advice, I was in a similar predicament about 5 years back, working in a Retail sales/management job which I had done for 10 years and knew inside out but my hand was forced in a way due to unrealistic upper management requirement in a difficult economic climate...And my attitude towards their targets etc...No offense lordy as i know you were in the same business not sure if you worked for Phil Harris though,

I jumped ship and became a self employed tradesman, To be totally honest it's harder work with lots of traveling for similar pay if not less at the quiet times but I get my weekends, bank holidays and time off when I need which suits me fine..the downside obviously no pay, It's a big decision to make so make sure you got all the boxes ticked, Especially if there are kids and a mortgage.

gaz we all know you do the job you do now as its your hobby, hanging around toilets
Old 12 September 2013, 07:34 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Old 12 September 2013, 07:55 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I've made impulsive decisions in the past which I regret (although no major harm done). Sleep on it...it's a cliche but no need to rush these things. See how you feel in a few months.
Old 12 September 2013, 08:56 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Is working for yourself an option?
Old 12 September 2013, 08:57 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I had it all ....... Easy job, good pay company Jaguar. Went to work one day and thought I need a challenge. Handed my notice in that day.

Never looked back .......

If you can afford it, do it !
Old 12 September 2013, 09:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
If you can afford it, do it !
That's exactly what he/she needs to think.

Steve1982, I read in your post that that things have changed lately at your workplace, and you don't feel as valued since you're not as much involved in decision making meetings. I also read that you find the job repetitive and dull along with not much opportunities for further promotion. But on the positive, you say that you're very well-paid, and even if the basic doesn't increase to your expectation, your commission will grow with the growth of your employer company.

Feeling devalued and not getting so involved could be the reason why you feel not so good about the job you're doing that pays you well. In addition, most jobs can feel boring and repetitive after as long as 6 years tbh. It also means that they're getting easier for you, which is not a bad thing.

You need to work out what's more important for you- value and new challenge or the sense of security with money; how far you have raised your living standards with your current good wage packet; how important it is for you to stay on your job e.g. what about your dependants; what if you have to take a drop in your salary, can you face that if so etc. etc. Basically, are you in a position to grab the bull by it's horns? Let me add that the 'position' is secondary, personality type is primary in determining that.

Some people that make changes for feeling more valued and to try out new challenges also end up missing their wage packet and/or the familiarity. Then they rationalise to defend their losses. They end up finding themselves struggling with their day-to-day life, which does no good for their morale. So, the craving for value may bring certain value in one area, but decreases the value for self in another area.

I suggest have a damn good think. Unless you've genuinely had it at your current workplace, stay on. Things may change for better again there. But if you continue to feel this internal unrest, start looking for equally good or better jobs elsewhere. Then apply and move whilst on this job. That should keep you more intact imo; subject to how much of a risk taker and 'hardly bothered about bylosts' you are, of course.

I'd rather be a braveheart to tell you to **** it all off, and move to the new challenge. But you need to feed yourself and your family, pay your mortgage, run your scooby etc. Not everybody is a Himalayan hermit with the ***** made of steel.
Old 12 September 2013, 11:44 PM
Lisawrx

I don't really think I can add anything more than has already been said, especially by TH. Very good post. Plus, I have stayed in a job for the last 14 years now, for a good chunk of it, feeling devalued, so I'm probably not the best at giving advice.

What I would say, is think very hard about what is most important to you, money or feeling valued in a personal rather than financial way, or whether it would be possible to find a career/job that provided both, a least at a level you could cope with. TH is also right in that, if you do decide to jump ship, look whilst still working, many people say it's easier to find work when in work.

However, you are right that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. Unless you can start a business of your own, you are always going to be working for somebody, and with that always comes the possibility that you may find yourself not being thought enough of, or being kept out of the loop etc. However, you could find a position elsewhere and it could be the best move you ever made. I'm sorry that doesn't help, but life is full of uncertainty, and it's impossible to know how something would turn out until you try it.

All that said, back to your current job for now, have you actually spoken to anyone about how you are feeling? Maybe they do genuinely value you, but because you have been there a long time, you know your job well, are competent, they may just be like many employers, and just leave you to it. They forget to tell those staff time to time that they still matter. A bit like how companies offer great deals to new customers but neglect the existing ones because they are just there, they pay so the company doesn't need to bother any more, until of course said customer gets fed up and decides to move on. I'm not suggesting btw that you threaten to leave, just for you to speak to someone and tell them you don't feel part of the company in the same way any more and you feel there is no way to progress in the future. Lay your cards on the table, you never know, if they are decent, they may surprise you.

If not, carry on job hunting as maybe you would be better off elsewhere.
Old 13 September 2013, 12:00 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

ok, if you have got to your current position in 6 years then you have done very well. I would write down how you have managed that and then get a professional cv done. You may laugh but if you get the right people doing it, you will be able to go for jobs at the *next level*. don't get me wrong you will get knockbacks but that's part of the learning process
Old 13 September 2013, 12:55 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoy my current job but in a very different way to what I used to do and thought I was going to have a very long career in. It lacks the buzz and excitement but I am paid three times as much to do it. I work shorter hours and face different but less taxing challenges.

That's very nice when it comes to buying bits for my car or saving up for a mortgage, pursuing my other numerous hobbies. Or just deciding that I want to bugger off to Tenerife for two weeks at short notice.

At the end of the day I am working with nice people, working much more friendly hours and feel more rewarded because of what I get back from the job rather than the challenge I face within it.

I have told many a young person to consider their future carefully because when you're chatting to St Paul at the pearly gates you're not going to tell him you wished you'd spent more time at work.

If you really need that challenge then go for it, but I'd sit on the easy money if I were you. Find a challenge elsewhere
Old 13 September 2013, 08:00 AM
alphaj12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
not sure if you worked for Phil Harris though,
Now that name rings a bell with me, I was 20 odd years in retail management and left for the same reasons you did(not Phil Harris although I had a store manager of that name years ago, same guy I bet)
Old 13 September 2013, 08:50 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
If you really need that challenge then go for it, but I'd sit on the easy money if I were you. Find a challenge elsewhere
^^^ This would be my advice...
Old 13 September 2013, 09:00 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
All that said, back to your current job for now, have you actually spoken to anyone about how you are feeling? Maybe they do genuinely value you, but because you have been there a long time, you know your job well, are competent, they may just be like many employers, and just leave you to it. They forget to tell those staff time to time that they still matter. A bit like how companies offer great deals to new customers but neglect the existing ones because they are just there, they pay so the company doesn't need to bother any more, until of course said customer gets fed up and decides to move on. I'm not suggesting btw that you threaten to leave, just for you to speak to someone and tell them you don't feel part of the company in the same way any more and you feel there is no way to progress in the future. Lay your cards on the table, you never know, if they are decent, they may surprise you.

Wise words - Lisa.

Talk to them and tell them how you're feeling and how you want a bigger challenge. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 13 September 2013, 09:20 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If you have really had a hand in the growth of the company - then there are two things I would say.

They won’t want to let you go - consider asking the day to day director (if there is one - I guess there will be) if you can maybe take a position under him. You would need to have a serious game plan, and of course prove your worth down the line - but your past performance should be justification for consideration.

Second, if you can document the growth look for positions in other companies.

What I would say though (and don’t take this the wrong way), in a company of £8M T/O you will probably become a small gear in a big machine. To start with if they T/O 8 times less than this then each person has a big responsibility. I guess at T/O of £1M the company probably had around 10 employees? I bet its 50 now. If not more. So your position gets diluted. And I think to be realistic the only way you will get this type of roll back is to start all over again with a small company.

On the plus side, IME, there are lots and lots of small businesses who need good people. It’s so hard to find someone who will take ownership (without being an actual shareholder) and someone who can strive to perform better each year.

So you are valuable to others. But often small companies can’t pay the same as larger ones - hence your problem.

If money is the main goal I would stay where you are, start slowly but surely trying to get yourself back into a position where perhaps you could be promoted or move into another part of the business. Perhaps next time they advertise for a manager for a different role you could try and step into that role for more of a challenge.

Either way, good luck.
Old 13 September 2013, 09:41 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alphaj12
Now that name rings a bell with me, I was 20 odd years in retail management and left for the same reasons you did(not Phil Harris although I had a store manager of that name years ago, same guy I bet)
He is Lord Harris of Peckham now and has been for a few years, Charitable conrtibutions gets you a long way with the right crowd. Don't get me wrong it's not him I had an issue with it was all the regional/divisional budget politics.
Old 13 September 2013, 09:14 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Me personally I would wait stay in the job as it pays well and search for other jobs that pay good and is a new challenge take your time with it and dont just jump at any opportunity.

me personally started out as a trainee in a oil company 8 years ago and worked my way up to a senior position which pays fantastic
also get to travel but spend a lot of time offshore on oilrigs not on a rotation though.
very attached to my job and the people I work with but just got offered another job working abroad as a expat.

I thought to myself do I stay in my current position where I would be employed the rest of my career as it is an international company and many people work there pretty much their whole working life or do I take a gamble.

I am taking the gamble and signed my contract two days ago for working in Saudi Arabia
doing month on and month off for alot more money also a new challenge too as now I am specialising in certain downhole oiltools.

If you do decide to leave do it on the best possible terms as if you ever need to go back there is that option.
when I said I was leaving to my boss he said there will always be a position here for me if I ever need it which is good as it is a extra safety net.
Old 13 September 2013, 10:23 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Scoobynet can be a brilliant place for general life advice.

Lots of wise words on this thread IMHO.
Old 14 September 2013, 08:42 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I've just come out the 4th year (basecraft year) of my apprenticeship aged 29! Most the other lads around me are 20-22 so you can imagine with a receeding haircut and thick beard I stick out a bit.

Do I care? Nope. When times hit a low in 2008 and I lost a steady income job that was going nowhere, I panicked and fell into self pity and depression with bills mounting. 5 years on and having just finished said apprenticeship, I may still only be a "fitter" on paper but it opened up a world of opportunity for chasing the ££ if I want to travel abroad to work in the coming years.

Ask yourself, can you afford to drop the ££ to start something afresh, new and challenging? Obviously as per above, my hand was forced but I go to work now and enjoy the challenges mechanical fitting brings. I wouldn't have said that 13 years ago when I left school! Best of luck in your decision.