Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buildings and Contents Insurance Bargain

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2013, 12:34 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Buildings and Contents Insurance Bargain

Just had to break the news to Aviva that I won't be renewing. The nice chap I spoke to on the phone said there was no way he could beat my renewal and he'd have done the same

Had a bit of junk mail from Legal & General that I would have normally thrown in the bin but I had a look and they were offering £100 in M&S vouchers if you take out a policy with them. Thought to myself well that's probably because they're much more expensive than anyone else to start off with.

So did the usual trawl of the comparison sites to beat my renewal quote and L&G were coming out as one of the cheapest even without the voucher offer. Went with them in the end as it seemed such a good deal.

Aviva renewal quote £204
L&G new customer quote £180
M&S Vouchers £100

Buildings and contents insurance for this year £80 £124 saved.

May be useful to others if you're coming up for renewal soon: http://www.legalandgeneral.com/insur...3-dm/aug/e615/

Last edited by Graz; 12 September 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12 September 2013, 01:07 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good deal
I paid £118 last year for rural Cumbrian postcode
Detached etc
That was std 500000 rebuild and 50k contents amd £400 excess and no extras like legal cover or all that stuff that you don't really need

Also paid £88 for the bungalow we have as well
Bargains and I find the cash back and compare the market /money supermarket can come up woth some crackers hence change companies every year
Old 12 September 2013, 01:10 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

nice - ashame i renewed with LV in July for another year.
Old 12 September 2013, 01:15 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Sounds too good to be true really, and we all know what that means
Old 12 September 2013, 01:55 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Very tempting. Building and content came out at £119 with accidental damage, minus vouchers = £19........!!!!

You have to wait 75 days for the vouchers.

Last edited by paulr; 12 September 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12 September 2013, 06:18 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Regarding the vouchers, its not one where you have to spend £500, then get £100 off?
Old 13 September 2013, 09:05 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Regarding the vouchers, its not one where you have to spend £500, then get £100 off?
Doesn't say that anywhere so hopefully not

Trending Topics

Old 12 October 2013, 03:02 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Any updates before i sign up?
Old 12 October 2013, 05:23 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks

Just worked for me too and I'm already with L&G via Swinton!
Old 12 October 2013, 05:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Good thread.

I'll be renewing with L&G. I don't know what I'm going to do with Marks n' Spa vouchers, though. None of us in our family are M&S fans apart from my Mother in-Lawship. I'll try to blag the vouchers to her for fifty quid. Let's see what she says.
Old 12 October 2013, 05:41 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Over £400 contents only here. In rural Cornwall. Maybe I should shop around a bit more?!
Old 12 October 2013, 05:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Some friends of mine don't have any insurance. They say its all a con, as you hardly claim. I have to agree with that, as I only claimed once in my life time when we had a theft. The claim was as little as £500 for our mobile phones, whereas over the years, I would have paid a good few thousands of pounds to the insurer for no returns but just the peace of mind. Those friends of mine say that these insurances are for insecure people who worry about 'what if..'. They say that if something goes wrong, they'll get it fixed with their own money. Even if the house gets burnt down, they'll sort it. If they die, whoever lives in the house would pay the remaining mortgage. What they mean is that all those thousands of pounds are better gaining interest in your bank, and re-build your life; rather than you giving it out to some third party who'd control your payments, and will only pay your claim out if it suits them.

I think there's a thought in that, no matter how unconventional it is.

What do you lot think?
Old 12 October 2013, 06:24 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Some friends of mine don't have any insurance. They say its all a con, as you hardly claim. I have to agree with that, as I only claimed once in my life time when we had a theft. The claim was as little as £500 for our mobile phones, whereas over the years, I would have paid a good few thousands of pounds to the insurer for no returns but just the peace of mind. Those friends of mine say that these insurances are for insecure people who worry about 'what if..'. They say that if something goes wrong, they'll get it fixed with their own money. Even if the house gets burnt down, they'll sort it. If they die, whoever lives in the house would pay the remaining mortgage. What they mean is that all those thousands of pounds are better gaining interest in your bank, and re-build your life; rather than you giving it out to some third party who'd control your payments, and will only pay your claim out if it suits them.

What do you lot think?
1. Piece of mind is a commodity worth paying for
2. I remember watching Grand Designs and there was a guy who had a 500k mortgage on a house he bought, it burnt down and was uninsured. Ouch !!!!!!!!
Old 12 October 2013, 06:51 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot

What do you lot think?
The blunt answer - "they" are stupid. I'd rather pay £150 a year than risk loosing everything.
Old 12 October 2013, 07:00 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A lot of very well off people have no insurance - they view it as an unnecessary cost which might be why they are rich.
Old 12 October 2013, 07:20 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
The blunt answer - "they" are stupid. I'd rather pay £150 a year than risk loosing everything.
Hm.

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
A lot of very well off people have no insurance - they view it as an unnecessary cost which might be why they are rich.
Yeah, these people are from 'very well off' bracket, Matt.

I suppose they're secure with their wealth to face up to the unforeseen disasters, so why should they pay someone else to pick up their pieces.
Old 12 October 2013, 08:06 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I didn't realise we were talking about people that well off. If you aren't going to lose everything when your house burns down and can afford to rebuild it from cash in the bank, then it's possibly worth the risk.
Old 13 October 2013, 07:56 PM
Bikerboygreen
Scooby Regular

Many thanks Op - I have just saved a small fortune (embarassed to admit how much I have been paying Natwest!).
Old 13 October 2013, 08:02 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I pay £600 a year for mine but I have extras added, wait until you are forced to make a claim on that cheap insurance and see what happens. Its the reason I binned Halifax insurance as it may be cheap but if you claim they are a joke.
Old 13 October 2013, 08:15 PM
Bikerboygreen
Scooby Regular

Fortunately I have never had to claim mate. It was the £1,100 renewal from Natwest that I thought was the joke!
Old 13 October 2013, 08:16 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Just had to break the news to Aviva that I won't be renewing. The nice chap I spoke to on the phone said there was no way he could beat my renewal and he'd have done the same

Had a bit of junk mail from Legal & General that I would have normally thrown in the bin but I had a look and they were offering £100 in M&S vouchers if you take out a policy with them. Thought to myself well that's probably because they're much more expensive than anyone else to start off with.

So did the usual trawl of the comparison sites to beat my renewal quote and L&G were coming out as one of the cheapest even without the voucher offer. Went with them in the end as it seemed such a good deal.

Aviva renewal quote £204
L&G new customer quote £180
M&S Vouchers £100

Buildings and contents insurance for this year £80 £124 saved.

May be useful to others if you're coming up for renewal soon: http://www.legalandgeneral.com/insur...3-dm/aug/e615/

£200 for buildings and contents??

I don't understand where I'm going wrong, I pay about £800
Old 13 October 2013, 08:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's the same as car insurance, if you don't bother to hunt around but just stay with the same provider, you're easy meat

These people rely on complacency
Old 13 October 2013, 08:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

very true

I was talking to Alex this summer, he said most of the houses he sells to are to people in the insurance business
Old 13 October 2013, 09:38 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I pay £600 a year for mine but I have extras added, wait until you are forced to make a claim on that cheap insurance and see what happens. Its the reason I binned Halifax insurance as it may be cheap but if you claim they are a joke.
What extras? Accidental damage, legal cover, away from home loss.??
Old 14 October 2013, 11:04 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by paulr
What extras? Accidental damage, legal cover, away from home loss.??

Its for jewelery and money when out.