Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2013, 11:20 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you wear your watch ?

Just bought this
http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...zf17-1464.html
as a every day watch and took 3 links off it so it fits snug and can only squeeze a finger under the clasp. Seen guys wear a watch like a bracelet and need to adjust on wrist to look at time why ???? just curious.
Old 23 August 2013, 11:43 PM
Phaeton
Scooby Regular

The question is why do you want a watch? Haven't had one for 20 years since getting a mobile phone

Alan...
Old 23 August 2013, 11:50 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

|I work in a big multinational aerospace company my phone lies on my desk so a watch is handy for me. I got my first watch in 1972 and my first mobile phone in 1995 so I am more used to looking at my wrist for the time than a phone.
Old 24 August 2013, 07:50 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear them quite loose. I don't like them too tight on my wrist, but not so loose that they rotate around the 'wrong' way!

Yes, I have a mobile phone too, but it's easier to look at a wrist watch than take a phone out of my pocket.
Old 24 August 2013, 08:04 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phaeton
The question is why do you want a watch? Haven't had one for 20 years since getting a mobile phone

Alan...
Ahhhhh there's always one "why do you need a watch when you have a mobile phone...." Because some people can appreciate decent timepieces, a watch shows something about your character, it's actually easier to quickly check the time and date on a watch compared to a mobile phone believe it or not, a lot of watches are waterproof; mobile phones aren't, I enjoy wearing a watch. Probably more reasons but that's some of mine.

I was recently on holiday and you wouldn't believe the amount of people asking me for the time...

I wear mine quite snug on a rubber divers strap. I'm not a fan of brackets but I wear brackets a bit loose.

Last edited by LSherratt; 24 August 2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 24 August 2013, 08:11 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Yes, I have a mobile phone too, but it's easier to look at a wrist watch than take a phone out of my pocket.
Going one step further, for the last 8 months I've only been wearing my Smartwatch to show me who's calling, texting and emailing me. Handling my phone at all has been cut drastically.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:32 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Where it quite loose but I have quite thin wrists aswell

Last edited by domino46; 24 August 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:38 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Just bought similar and removed three links - I have fairly slim wrists. Pretty comfortable although I use a G Shock (I have 4...!) for active stuff.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:40 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
Seen guys wear a watch like a bracelet and need to adjust on wrist to look at time why ???? just curious.
Why do people do anything that isn't essential?

Why do people wear earrings, necklaces, braclets, rings?

It's called choice. Not really rocket science is it.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine is a plastic Casio digital, does everything I need, time in 24 hours mode, day, date, countdown, stopwatch, waterproof to 50m, and has a battery that lasts 10 years.
It cost the princely sum of £8.99 off ebay and gains two seconds in six months.

I wear it tight enough to stay, on the INSIDE of my right wrist.
Old 24 August 2013, 10:46 AM
Lisawrx

Alan...
This possibly doesn't apply to many on here due to their jobs, but in mine, we're not allowed to carry phones during our shift.

I like wearing a watch anyway, and I like it to be fairly snug so it doesn't turn around the wrong way. Not sure if this question was really aimed at women, but thought I'd give my opinion anyway.
Old 24 August 2013, 10:51 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't take my phone into a lot of the offices of my customers so I have a watch which gets used during the week. Worn loose enough not to cut my circulation, but tight enough not to rotate on my wrist. I also have a GPS watch for running which I wear quite snugly on it's velcro strap
Old 24 August 2013, 12:02 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

On my wrist.....
Old 24 August 2013, 01:21 PM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

I can't wear a snug watch, has to be loose (not that easy as have quite large wrist anyway) and wear it on the right wrist.
Old 24 August 2013, 01:38 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I wear mine quite snug, I can just get a finger under it.

I wear it on the left hand as everyone knows only gays wear them on the right hand.

Oh and that Subaru watch above......... Awful
Old 24 August 2013, 01:45 PM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2

I wear it on the left hand as everyone knows only gays wear them on the right hand.

Oh and that Subaru watch above......... Awful
Wasn't aware of that, not sure my wife and kids were either
Old 24 August 2013, 01:47 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BadBadLeeroyBrown
Wasn't aware of that, not sure my wife and kids were either
Neither were Michael Barrymore's
Old 24 August 2013, 01:57 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Wear it on the right , no idea why must be a gay!

Watches are a wealth statement, as much as a car etc
Old 24 August 2013, 02:06 PM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Neither were Michael Barrymore's
But I'd imagine he was.
Old 24 August 2013, 02:59 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Left wrist. i wear it quite loose but not loose enough it can rotate.
As for not wearing a watch because you have a phone. Good luck when your battery runs out. I prefer mechanical watches, even if i have to make the odd adjustment. The sound of a high beat watch ticking gives it soul. The sound of tick tock from a quartz watch is just soulless to me and the clock on a phone just has no class what so ever.
Old 24 August 2013, 03:17 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Alan...
Probably easy to do if you sit in an office all day.

No doubt many folk on this forum have active / practical / physical based jobs so having to dig there phone out of their pocket would be a hindrance and certainly not practical, especially if, say, you're a roofer or something. It would be pretty impractical for me to ask Terry Taliban to stop firing for a few minutes whilst I rummage around for my phone, in the middle of a desert.
Old 24 August 2013, 03:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Why do I wear a watch?

Simples.

Its quicker than rummaging around trying to find my sodding phone. Which usually is left in the car or on a ledge because if its in my pocket it looks like I have a deformed ***** (and if its in my back pocket the screen gets smashed when I sit down) . And if it were in my pocket, I have to take off the key pad lock which the whole process is about 1 second longer than looking at my wrist!

My daily wear is a aincient Ellesse Sport chronograph. Citizen movement, with a custom stainless steel strap (the leather strap melted...leather and used engine oil don't mix ). Technically the strap is worth more than the watch.

It has a stopwatch and timer which I use regularly for timing jobs...quicker than timing via the phone which I've left lying about somewhere (again). The countdown timer is handy for cooking. I could use the timer on teh oven, but I cabn't hear that when I'm in the lounge

Its also accurate. Being a quartz. And being a watch. Accuracy is second to none. Unlike wind-up / automatic watches which can be inaccurate (over a month), and computers or mobile phones which have to constantly self-update the time to maintain accuracy, without which they are worse than a mechanical watch (why is that? ).

And for the original OP...the strap sized to fit my wrist where I can fit my thumb between my wrist and the strap. Too loose and it gets in the way. Too tight and it feel like I've lost circulation to my hand.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 August 2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 24 August 2013, 05:28 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Alan...
When I go down on my GF, it's easier to take a quick glance at my watch to tell when then the 2 minutes is up. Faffing about with my phone, would make it look obvious I was clock watching.
Old 24 August 2013, 05:57 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
When I go down on my GF, it's easier to take a quick glance at my watch to tell when then the 2 minutes is up. Faffing about with my phone, would make it look obvious I was clock watching.

2 minutes is a bit generous though
Old 24 August 2013, 06:43 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I need to wear a watch tbh. How do I wear it? Well, I wear it on my right hand wrist. The problem is that looking at it is a bit difficult while working. Therefore, I have developed my internal clock, which means I know the time without looking at my watch. My iPhone also re-confirms with my sneaky peak at the time on it, if required. I've been wearing a Sekonda that my daughter dear bought me on Christmas. it's quite glam; all black with three diamonte circles around it.
Old 24 August 2013, 07:02 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

I like to wear mine a little loose. On some watches I have to remove only one link on others two or even three. I have 81/4inch wrists. I'm not really sure whether or not I have large wrists as I haven't compared them to others.
Old 24 August 2013, 07:07 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Oh yes. I forgot to say that I wear my watch snug (if that means tight. New word for me, you see) around my wrist. I don't like it dangling at all. Bangle/s or Pandora on my other wrist can dangle as much as it wants, as long as it doesn't slip off.
Old 24 August 2013, 07:41 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
Left wrist. i wear it quite loose but not loose enough it can rotate.
As for not wearing a watch because you have a phone. Good luck when your battery runs out. I prefer mechanical watches, even if i have to make the odd adjustment. The sound of a high beat watch ticking gives it soul. The sound of tick tock from a quartz watch is just soulless to me and the clock on a phone just has no class what so ever.
I'm with your there but from a rather more modest point of view!

I have four G Shocks - all bomb proof, do loads of stuff, two are solar atomic so deadly accurate but my recent Seiko is just so much nicer. A modest automatic but still a good timepiece.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:11 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

When I'm on unofficial black ops and about to double tap a Tango there is no way I can go fumbling in my flack jacket for my mobile. Hence I wear a watch and it is on my left wrist so I can see it even when my dominant right hand is on the trigger of my trusty MP5
Old 24 August 2013, 09:20 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

The main thing to remember is take it off before foreplay, particularly if it's an expensive one.

Quick Reply: How do you wear your watch ?