Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another Vulcan takes to the skies...

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2013, 02:51 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Vulcan takes to the skies...

...only this time it's a model, and what a model it is.

Loved the flypast with the Hunter and Yak.

Dear Santa,

Please can I have....
Old 17 August 2013, 03:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What a lovely sight that must have been. Wish I had been there to see it.

I am surprised that he used the original white paint finish.

It must have cost a lot with four model jet engines installed, did it have all four do you know.

I did do a B.O.B display at Cosford once, bit of a short runway if I remember it right with a bit of a hill at one end-silly place to put a hill I must say! I was also sent once to assess whether it was safe for a Vulcan to be sent there for permanent static display-I wonder if it is still there. It would have arrived with very little fuel so it was easy to stop before it reached the hill!

Les
Old 17 August 2013, 03:17 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The runway is on an incline but I can't remember which direction - we used to speed test the go-karts on it, but I don't remember a hill as such at either end of it - the whole area is quite flat. I spent for years there in the early 90's.

When they brought the vulcan in for the museum if had to land first time and there was no way it was ever going to leave again as the runway is too short.
Old 17 August 2013, 04:15 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

It has 4 turbine engines and the paint is primer, ready for an authentic cold war colour scheme.

The owner also plays with a real Vulcan, this is XM603 which has been parked at Woodford for 30 years

http://www.largemodelassociation.com...le.php?id=6081

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aeroplane.html

Last edited by Oldun; 17 August 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 18 August 2013, 05:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There is an embankment to the north east of the runway. It runs across the runway centreline. It is 300 yds from the runway threshold and is 20 feet high. It is a significant obstruction, mainly to aircraft landing on the south westerly runway since it means you cannot make a flat final approach to the runway. It would be an obstruction to an aircraft taking off towards it if it had an engine failure and was on heavily reduced power. I did not actually land the Vulcan there when I assessed it for the landing of the static aircraft which would have been very light on fuel. The runway is not very long,just less than 4,000 feet. No problem for stopping a Vulcan if it carried out a short field landing though. I did once visit the airfield some years later in a Dominie (HS125) and found that taking off towards the embankment was a bit of a thrill! Not a very powerful aircraft compared with a Vulcan. A Vulcan with a very light fuel load might just manage to take off if it really had to, but it would be pretty tight.

Les
Old 19 August 2013, 01:31 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Les - yes Cosford still has a Vulcan in its 'Cold War' display hanger - its suspended from the ceiling on wires - and when you're standing underneath it it's fecking huuuge!

its XM598 - and it was used as part of the Falklands BLACK BUCK raid build up, as it was the later model with the 301 engines and wing hardpoints
Old 19 August 2013, 02:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That is quite a feat to hang it from the ceiling,I bet that looks pretty impressive.

I am pretty certain I have got 598 in my logbook. We used to fly either the ones with the 201 or the 301 engines. It did not make a great deal of difference for normal operations but you could do an improved air display with the 301 engines of course. The extra 8,000 lbs of static thrust made a definite difference!

I still dream about the wicked fun we used to have in that aircraft-can you blame me?

Les
Old 19 August 2013, 08:45 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

it is testament to the real plane that even a model of it can attract such interest!

Is the Vulcan to the skies team going to be displaying at Dunsfold this weekend coming?
Old 19 August 2013, 09:13 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
Is the Vulcan to the skies team going to be displaying at Dunsfold this weekend coming?
It's on the list
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html