Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

In a new job, but, got an interview for another job

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2013, 07:46 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In a new job, but, got an interview for another job

Typical. About three months ago, I went for an interview for a job I'd love to do. I didn't get the job. But then, I got a job working with a mate and it's going ok. I check my emails this morning, and i see an email from the guy I had the interview with. He wanted to see me for a chat. So I managed to wangle it, and went down there. Smart dress and portfolio in hand. Just incase. All goes well and to cut a long story short, I've got an interview tomorrow.

I would still very much like to work there. Better pay. Better hours. Closer to home and a couple of other good things. But I kinda feel guilty, after all, it was a good mate that got me into where I am now. And I've only been there for coming upto three months. Would it be really bad to leave so soon? I feel kinda guilty.

Never really had this situation before.

What do you think?

Last edited by LDNSTi; 15 August 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 15 August 2013, 07:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LDNSTi
Typical. About three months ago, I went for an interview for a job I'd love to do. I didn't get the job. But then, I got a job working with a mate and it's going ok. I check my emails this morning, and i see an email from the guy I had the interview with. He wanted to see me for a chat. So I managed to wangle it, and went down there. Smart dress and portfolio in hand. Just incase. All goes well and to cut a long story short, I've got an interview tomorrow.

I would still very much like to work there. Better pay. Better hours. Closer to home and a couple of other good things. But I kinda feel guilty, after all, it was a good mate that got me into where I am now. And I've only been there for coming upto three months. Would it be really bad to leave so soon? I feel kinda guilty.

Never really had this situation before.

What do you think?
Be honest with your mate. Tell him that this new offer will be more beneficial for you in every aspect. If he is really your good mate, he will understand, and let you go guilt-free.

Good luck.
Old 15 August 2013, 07:56 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wait until you've had a firm offer first.
Old 15 August 2013, 08:01 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Wait until you've had a firm offer first.
Absolutely. But I am just trying to plan I suppose. And think of "what if". If you get me.
Old 15 August 2013, 08:15 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

I'm sure he will understand, did you tell him about the other job when you joined him say over a coffee ?
Old 15 August 2013, 08:28 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
I'm sure he will understand, did you tell him about the other job when you joined him say over a coffee ?
I must admit, I didn't. Because I didn't want it to seem like I was taking his offer due to me not getting the other job if you know what I mean.
Old 15 August 2013, 09:26 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

As said. Get the offer in writing first then talk to your mate about it. Only thing you can do is work your notice period if it's what you want to do.
Old 15 August 2013, 09:41 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Absolutely. Hopefully, ill be able to leave on good terms. If it gets to that. Just trying to prepare for what might be. We shall see. Many thanks for the comments.
Old 15 August 2013, 09:47 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

I've been in a similar situation, but I just reminded myself I'm only getting one shot here, so when an opportunity comes your way you have to grab it.
Old 16 August 2013, 06:32 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Throw him your wife to soften the blow!

You have to think of you in this day n age, he will understand and there's plenty of unemployed who can't wait for a job.

Who knows, if the new one is rubbish you may be able to go back to your mate
Old 16 August 2013, 07:15 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

One thing I've learnt so far is ,look after number one!
Old 16 August 2013, 07:48 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ant
One thing I've learnt so far is ,look after number one!
This.
Old 16 August 2013, 07:59 AM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Fair comment. Know what you mean.
Old 16 August 2013, 11:33 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

As above, wait for a firm offer before doing anything.

Also, if he's a true "mate" he'll understand and be glad for you.
Old 16 August 2013, 11:50 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I had to do something similar albeit many years ago. When I was about to graduate from Uni I was doing the rounds of potential employers to find a job but then I got a call from the firm I did my industrial placement with offering me a job. I hadn't got in touch with them as when I left things were a bit tight for them financially and I wasn't sure if they'd want me back for that reason. Also it was a long way from my family home and I wasn't sure that I was ready to be moving that far away yet but as it was the only firm offer I had at the time I accepted.

In the meantime I got a second interview with Ford which at the time I thought would be my dream job (in retrospect it might not have been). I was unlikely to get a decision from Ford until a week or so before I was due to start back at the old place so I decided to let them know. They were fine about it and whilst hoping I'd come back said that if you really want the Ford job then good luck. As it was I didn't get an offer from Ford and went back to the old place, glad I did as the communications sector has been a lot more buoyant over the years than vehicle electronics and it's more cutting edge so plenty of challenges.
Old 16 August 2013, 12:20 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

think your mate will/should understand. Put the shoe on his foot, what if it were him in a position like you - i'm sure he would feel the same.
Old 16 August 2013, 12:44 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if he's a mte he will back you 100% even if its just an interview, i would in his place.
Old 16 August 2013, 02:44 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Put yourself first, your job second and your mate third. As has already been said; if he's a true mate he'll understand.

You are just a disposable asset to any company, there is no loyalty with companies these days, so make sure you put yourself first: they won't think twice about 'letting you go' should the need arise.

So, go for it.
Old 16 August 2013, 03:05 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you don't end up with nothing.

Mate of mine put in his notice for the job he was doing, after getting an offer for a new one. New one fell through, and the old place had a replacement.

Now he is on the dole......its not an easy choice. Sorry....
Old 16 August 2013, 03:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

LDNSTi, you might have been all done and dusted with your interview, and it may be a little too late to suggest something new. However, what if you tell your new employer that you need to give a month's notice. I'm not sure if there's any contract between you and your mate, but usually you only need to give a week's notice within your probationary period. You'll offer a month with your goodwill to give extra support to your friend who looked after you during your rainy days.

A month will allow your mate to find your replacement while you carry on completing whatever is left over there. This may make him feel less let down, and you less guilty.

I don't think he should feel let down if you call it a day at his in the best way possible. I'm sure he also has family to feed and bills to pay + reasonable drive to do better for himself, so he should be fine with you.

Hope your interview went well.
Old 16 August 2013, 05:56 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

How did the interview go and have you told your mate yet, I'm dying to know . Andy
Old 16 August 2013, 07:22 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Evening folks. Many thanks for all the comments. The interview went well. Well, at least I thought it did. But I'm now waiting to hear back. I don't want to jinx myself so to speak, but it certainly went better this time around. And he seemed to be very keen. With certain things he said, I'm hoping ill get good news. But all I can do now is wait and see.
Old 19 August 2013, 11:04 AM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

)))))))))))))). Just had a long awaited phone call. The position is mine )))))))))))). I'm well happy. All I've gotta do now is hand my notice in eeekkk. They want me to start next Tuesday. So is one weeks notice enough when I'm still on probationary?
Old 19 August 2013, 11:31 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

)))))))))))))). Just had a long awaited phone call. The position is mine )))))))))))). I'm well happy. All I've gotta do now is hand my notice in eeekkk. They want me to start next Tuesday. So is one weeks notice enough when I'm still on probationary?

Did you have a proper contract with your mate employer? Dig it out, have a read to check what it says. Usually, a week notice is fine while still on probationary period.

Congratumulations, too!
Old 19 August 2013, 11:33 AM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Did you have a proper contract with your mate employer? Dig it out, have a read to check what it says. Usually, a week notice is fine while still on probationary period.

Congratumulations, too!
Cheers mate. And to answer your question, no I don't have a proper contract. That's something I've wondered while working there. Never signed anything.
Old 19 August 2013, 11:44 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate. And to answer your question, no I don't have a proper contract. That's something I've wondered while working there. Never signed anything.
In that case, you can leave today, if you like. But if you want to give your mate some credit for what he did for you through your difficult time, work with your internal ethics, and give him at least a week notice to tie loose ends.

Once again, well done, LDNSTi.
Old 19 August 2013, 12:05 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Just to add, perhaps your employer mate didn't ever set a contract with you because he subconsciously knew that you would leave one day for a better opportunity that you really deserved. Perhaps he was taking a bit of a pee in his favour by not having a contract with you.

In any case, I'd still be thankful for what he did because it did help you through that time, and work a week's notice before calling it quits.
Old 19 August 2013, 04:51 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Absolutely agree with those comments. I'm working this week and starting my new position on Tuesday. They were happy with that. They couldn't of been nicer and they said if I ever need a job, then go see em . Can't say fairer than that.
Old 19 August 2013, 05:03 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Congratulations.

Now get the beers in.
Old 19 August 2013, 05:48 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Lol.

Quick Reply: In a new job, but, got an interview for another job