Old 13 August 2013, 08:47 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New York / tips & advise

Hi all
me & the mrs are heading to the big apple September ,
Any tips , advise , recommendations would be much app
Staying at the Waldorf Astoria on 51st I think it is .
It's a real treat , so exited , been to US several times but never NY

Thanks in advance

Mic
Old 13 August 2013, 08:56 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Great city.

Obviously just enjoying the atmosphere, finding some great bars and restaurants, and wandering around looking at all the skyscrapers is cool in itself. What to recommend.....

Science museum was cool, also the air and sea museum which is on an old aircraft carrier they have a Blackbird and a nuclear submarine to look at as well as a load of other planes etc. Empire state building was good. Statue of Liberty worth a boat trip but personally I wouldn't bother with Ellis Island, probably means a lot more to you if you're American. Wander round Central Park, so much other stuff to do as well, shopping, maybe see a show, etc. etc.

Makes me want to go on a trip myself now
Old 13 August 2013, 08:57 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only ever transferred via JFK, never spent time in New York itself. But, FWIW, the airport workers, who I would assume are New Yorkers, are both obnoxious and unhelpful.

Enjoy it anyway.
Old 13 August 2013, 09:01 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Don't go to Empire state, go to Rockerfeller centre instead. Less queues, more space and you get a view of the Empire state building.

Don't go to the Statue of Liberty. Get the free Staten Island Ferry. Same views, less time wasted with queues and security.

See if there is anythign on at Madison sq gardens. Book resturants the night before.
Old 13 August 2013, 09:03 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys
yea that aircraft carrier sounds cool
Blackbird is my fav plane of all time if you discount the X15 , wich was basically a rocket ha ha , yea def go thr , state building , & walk around also good advise .
Old 13 August 2013, 09:04 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Thanks Davyboy
Old 13 August 2013, 09:07 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Get one of the visitor cards, http://www.newyorkpass.com/, or similar. You can get free entry to many attractions, queue jump at certain places, plus it means you can avoid the street vendors who try to pester you into buying entrance from them. There is so much to see and changing all of the time, so it's hard to recommend.

Go for a burger at Shake Shack - they are the best burgers I've tasted. Heston Blumenthal thinks they are among the best in the world. They have various locations throughout Manhattan.

I had the best duck ever in Chinatown, at this place http://www.pekingduckhousenyc.com/?page_id=6 - the chef brings the whole duck out to you and starts carving away. It's a great visual treat and very tasty.

If you want to see a show on Broadway, the TKTS booth in Time Square sells discounted tickets.

Use the subway to get around, it's fairly cheap, quick, clean and not like the movies - you're unlikely to see a gun-fight on it

If you make it down to the World Trade Center, don't let your wife near Century 21 if she likes shopping - it's a huge clothes store. Though if you're after brownie points, you can get European designer clothing for just a fraction of the price they are over here My missus got a couple of Calvin Klein outfits for less than the price which one would cost over here. They also let you pay in £s in that store.
Old 13 August 2013, 09:20 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Cool scoobywon't
Thanks vry much for that info
Old 13 August 2013, 09:22 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Yes , as sad as it is
Def want to see were the WTC once stood
Old 13 August 2013, 09:27 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Turtle bay ( united nations, chrysler building ) . Brookyln bridge, maybe take in a bit of a Harlem
Old 13 August 2013, 02:49 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

If you are going to walk Brooklyn bridge and I recommend it, sunset/sunrise is very good, then start at the Brooklyn end. Saves turning around all the time.
Old 13 August 2013, 02:59 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

New York, absolutely a fantastic city. i've been several times (4 i think).

When I last went with the wife we did lots of walking for better exploring. Some suggestions/areas I can give you from memory mind you are China Town, Little Italy, Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, Rockafella, Central Park, Time Square (ofcourse), the financial district, Ground Zero, Manhatten Island, 5th Avenue, Brooklyn Bridge, I would avoid going over to that side as it isnt the most safest place and not a place you would want to stop at traffic lights in your car.
Loads of shopping stores if you enjoy that sort of stuff. Hope this helps
Old 13 August 2013, 03:01 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

oh and I cant remember the actual building/name but the New York City Mayors private office. Think you can visit the building and floor, something like that.

Enjoy, totally jealous!
Old 13 August 2013, 03:53 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Thanks DPB, CHET, & DavyBoy once again
Old 13 August 2013, 04:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I've only been there twice,well once you could say

Coming, sailed on boat (from Caribbean ) up through Varrazona narrows under the bridge (stopping at Rochester for fuel) on our way up the East river, 4th July 1986 , it was mayhem so many boats you could hardly move with the USS Enterprise?? In the middle (world's biggest aircraft carrier).
Got the boat up to place called Mamarroneck, just into Connecticut-delivered.

Then came back down from Boston 3 weeks later on the Amtrak,checked baggage into port authority and had a walk round times square and 5th avenue,dindt have spare cash or time

So saw bugger all really, fly out of New Jersey that evening
Old 13 August 2013, 04:27 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Have you applied for your Visa waver from ESTA. You do this now instead of filling out the visa form on the plane.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

My advise with JFK is, don't try and joke with Homeland Security. They have as much humour as a robot.
Old 13 August 2013, 04:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

LOL, yes they'll be doing the speaking if there's any speaking to be done. I remember I had some kind of problem(leaving country I think) cos I'd arrived by boat . Speaking at all to those people was an impossibly, absolutely no response.

On our trip up through new york waters we were stopped at gunpoint about 5 times by fast ribs, requiring the lot

Last edited by dpb; 13 August 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 13 August 2013, 04:41 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Hi chopperman,
Yea sorted with the ESTA
Homeland security ( what a world we live eh!!!!
Old 13 August 2013, 04:45 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze
Hi chopperman,
Yea sorted with the ESTA
Homeland security ( what a world we live eh!!!!
Funny thing for me was, In LAX (Los Angles) Homeland security were fine. All smiles and quite welcoming. In JFK they were wound up so tight they are looking for any excuse to throw your **** back on the plane home. Just do as your told, don't smile or talk unless asked a question. And don't forget to call them sir or maam.
Old 13 August 2013, 04:50 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Some other advice about returning from usa to the uk. Be careful how much american loose change you have on you. It's a federal offence to take out more than $5 worth i think. Also don't bring $100 bills home. Most beauru de change in the uk wont except them.
Old 13 August 2013, 05:04 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
Funny thing for me was, In LAX (Los Angles) Homeland security were fine. All smiles and quite welcoming. In JFK they were wound up so tight they are looking for any excuse to throw your **** back on the plane home. Just do as your told, don't smile or talk unless asked a question. And don't forget to call them sir or maam.
Funnily enough I have a meeting at the American Embassy this week to see if they'll let me in...

The things you do in your youth can come back and haunt you! And no, I'm not sharing !
Old 13 August 2013, 05:08 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Funnily enough I have a meeting at the American Embassy this week to see if they'll let me in...

The things you do in your youth can come back and haunt you! And no, I'm not sharing !
I had a friend that had to do the same. It's a positive they are willing to give you this interview as it would be a lot easier just to refuse you. My friend was granted permission to visit the USA. Good luck.
Old 13 August 2013, 05:11 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Are you Red Ken's left hand man
Old 13 August 2013, 05:42 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

He was on the Jimmy Saville float
Old 13 August 2013, 05:46 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob

Nooooo! Never do this! They will not let you in if you have declared any convictions!

Simply fill the waiver form in and tick "no convictions" box..... They can't check!

Anyway.... If they do let you in:

Go to the visitor desk in Bloomingdales and you will get 15% discount card as a foreign visitor

Helicopter ride is a must

Do a search on here as this subject has been done loads of times and there are loads of threads with good info on
Old 13 August 2013, 05:57 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Def get the new york pass-well worth it.

Visit Michael Jordon's restaurant in Grand Central Station-best steak I've ever had and great place to eat it!!

My step daughter and I also had a trapeze lesson out there which was such good fun!!

Try and get to a sporting event too-we went to a Mets game and it was great. Also I'd agree with using the subway.

Didn't encounter any unfriendly people out there either.

If I could I'd move out there in a heartbeat.
Old 13 August 2013, 06:17 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Thanks mamoon2 & Ritchie 21

Yea catching a sporting event & Heli ride sounds good

I'm a big sopranos fan / I have the addresses
Was thinking of getting my picture taken outside the Bing
Wich is actually satin dolls nightclub on route 17 in Lodi
Old 13 August 2013, 06:56 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

If you go up either the empire state or rockafella buy your tickets online before you go..Well worth paying the extra for vip/fast pass..Saved about 2 hours of lines at the empire state when we went and you also get priority in the lift back down..
Rockafella do a ticket that allows you to go up twice in a day so you can go in daylight and at night...well worth it.. We timed our trip up the empire state just before sunset so could get both day and night pics.. As a few have said rockafella is probably better as you get better views of the park and see the empire state building too..
The 9/11 memorial is worth a look..Its free apart from a donation of $2 dollers each but you need to book online to get a day and time to go..
If the baseball is still on goto to Yankee stadium. If its still the normal season tickets are easy to get and cheap...Football season starts in sept so you could try and see the Giants of Jets..
Shops are ok...but be prepared to pay New york prices but still be cheaper than the UK..
Times sq was a bit of a let down for me but its free so worth it just to say you have been..
Central park is really good if you like a walk or just fancy doing some people spotting.
Staten island ferry is free and you can see the statue of liberty from the boat. The tourist boats were still selling tickets at $48 each when i was there in may even though the island was shut and you only sailed past it like you can on the staten island ferry for free..
New york is an amazing place but it is a big city so be prepared for lots of noise and loads of people..
Old 13 August 2013, 07:02 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Nice one EVOV1
Old 13 August 2013, 07:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Great till you're about 35, then retire to the Hamptons ,unless you're woody allan rich

Quick Reply: New York / tips & advise