Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fitness Fanatics, dieters, and gym flies

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2013, 01:00 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitness Fanatics, dieters, and gym flies

So c'mon then, what's YOUR motivation for being fit/healthy/insanely addicted to the gym?

I'm asking out of sheer curiosity!
Old 09 August 2013, 01:55 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's a gym?
Old 09 August 2013, 01:56 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
What's a gym?
Lmao. That says an awful lot!!
Old 09 August 2013, 01:58 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Not looking like a fat mess with heart issues I expect
No gym for me but much cycling.
Old 09 August 2013, 02:09 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Always a fair point!

I'm just trying to find out what really gets people to the gym, or outdoors walking/cycling etc.
Old 09 August 2013, 02:16 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've lost 3 stone overall. Gained muscle mass within that loss. I'm fit to the point of cycling 15 miles to work, doing a 12 hour shift and cycling home again, daily. I also do 37 miles on a mountain bike most Sundays. My first ride out I felt like I was dying and made me realise how unfit I was. Look after your body now and you have a higher chance of being firstly alive and secondly not a shuffling wreck later in life. I've also saved a fortune in fuel.

Last edited by scoobynutta555; 09 August 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09 August 2013, 02:23 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The great feeling I have afterwards/the next day.
Old 09 August 2013, 02:25 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

nutters the lot of you, whats a gym?

hang on, i go now

frenchie i blame you!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha
Old 09 August 2013, 02:32 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I race a bit (running and triathlon) and live getting out and about.

Won a tri and a local race and a few high placed finishes but not obsessed. I just like being fit and in shape really; have been at it almost all my life.
Old 09 August 2013, 02:39 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

I haven't been to the gym in years but when I did go I found out that alot of bouncey girls in tight lyrca went there too

fortunately most of the girls at my local gym weren't as skinny as these girls
http://thechive.com/2011/11/18/these...-to-33-photos/

http://acidcow.com/pics/6815-girls-i...s-31-pics.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gy...w=1280&bih=872
Old 09 August 2013, 02:56 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

So my motivation is that my dad had his first heart attack at 37, followed by two more days after.

Luckily he survived, but I swore never to let that happen to me, which isn't easy as my mum, dad and sister are all big, and I do love good food and drink.

I'm now thoroughly addicted, and my motivation is that when fit and strong, everything becomes easier... From simply walking upstairs to heavy lifting and shifting. I love the "pump" afterwards, I love DOMS and I love that I look much better now. It's now at the point that if I had the money, I'd actually open a gym, not necessarily a body builder's gym, but one where anyone could attend and get the right advice to get there where they wanted to be.

One thing I do notice, is the number of young lad that attend gyms, that really don't know how to maximise their efforts. That and the fact that 90% leave the gym without ever having broken a sweat! That's an attitude I'd love to change...

Anyway, I digress.

I just started wondering on other people's motivation, as not everyone has the same reason for attending.
Old 09 August 2013, 03:11 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Almost word for word what I was going to say , except the cycling bit
Old 09 August 2013, 03:12 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I used to lift weights just to gain weight; and I added almost three stone in two years. But now I take the lifting easier but run, swim and cycle (and surf) a lot; trying for a more rounded fitness rather than the impressive looking but slightly pointless gym slave thing.

But the gym does instill you with the mindset of pushing hard every time; broke a running PB yesterday but was almost sick. Felt like I was pushing it properly!

The strength is handy too; being quite light but strong I can do all sorts if gymnastic stuff like The Flag, weird yoga balances (seated lever pushed around to a handstand then free standing handstand press ups...!), etc.

Be careful though; I overdid it just over a year ago and had 11 months of a completely ruined immune system. No fun at all.
Old 09 August 2013, 03:42 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I'm not very good with heights so thought if I walked to the top of tall things (ie mountains) that it would cure me. It hasn't, if I'm on a flattish summit I am fine but when I am on a ridge my legs go to jelly. I got to about fifty summits before realising I wasn't ever going to be cured but by then it was worth carrying on because I found I liked the adrenaline rush after I've scared myself $hitless.
If I'm not walking I'm biking.
It's the only body I've got so I try to look after it and I don't want to get to old age and wish I'd done more when I had the chance.
Old 09 August 2013, 04:38 PM
CarBen Fibre Creations
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frenchwood
So c'mon then, what's YOUR motivation for being fit/healthy/insanely addicted to the gym?

I'm asking out of sheer curiosity!
I used to be 9 stone wet through, im also 6'2 so you can imagine what I looked like. I havent been to the gym for 8 weeks now, due to my new baby keeping me occupied, and my weight now stands at a comfy 13 stone. So all in all I done it to be and look healthy, have to say when I go back though im aiming for 15 stone of henchness
Old 09 August 2013, 04:49 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Its something I really want to do - improve fitness and figure.

I tried swimming one afternoon whilst there with the kids and managed about 6 lengths and had to get out - least when your sick jogging you can go behind a bush!

I've got alot to deal with right now so finding the time is hard but in the future I'll have more time and I would like to make more of an effort.

I've at least tried to make a start by walking eveywhere - with an 8 month old it gives me an excuse to get her some fresh air. I know its not biking 10s of miles or running etc but if I jump in too quick I'll not manage and probably give up. Least with the walking I'm trying to get my body used to actually doing something.
Old 09 August 2013, 05:02 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I used to lift weights just to gain weight; and I added almost three stone in two years. But now I take the lifting easier but run, swim and cycle (and surf) a lot; trying for a more rounded fitness rather than the impressive looking but slightly pointless gym slave thing.

But the gym does instill you with the mindset of pushing hard every time; broke a running PB yesterday but was almost sick. Felt like I was pushing it properly!

The strength is handy too; being quite light but strong I can do all sorts if gymnastic stuff like The Flag, weird yoga balances (seated lever pushed around to a handstand then free standing handstand press ups...!), etc.

Be careful though; I overdid it just over a year ago and had 11 months of a completely ruined immune system. No fun at all.
What was the running PB.

I do a bit of running myself, i'm aiming for a 6 minute mile. Best so far 6.55 so a long way to go.

Not a fan of gyms, full of posers if you ask me.
Old 09 August 2013, 05:19 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
What was the running PB.

I do a bit of running myself, i'm aiming for a 6 minute mile. Best so far 6.55 so a long way to go.

Not a fan of gyms, full of posers if you ask me.
This is an extremely technical off road 3.8 mile coast path route with 900ft of climbing; 27m14s or 7m22s/mile.

I don't run on roads much but managed 5th out of 250 recently in a hilly road 10k in 40m07s (can go well below 40 on flat roads). In a local 3.5 mile race in May I averaged 5m55s/mile and won; way off Elite but not too bad. I prefer off road stuff though!

I sometimes do home weights, sometimes use a good local gym depending on my mood but it's once a week max. Find the strength useful for all sorts of things and its always quiet!

Last edited by Matteeboy; 09 August 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09 August 2013, 07:27 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
This is an extremely technical off road 3.8 mile coast path route with 900ft of climbing; 27m14s or 7m22s/mile.

I don't run on roads much but managed 5th out of 250 recently in a hilly road 10k in 40m07s (can go well below 40 on flat roads). In a local 3.5 mile race in May I averaged 5m55s/mile and won; way off Elite but not too bad. I prefer off road stuff though!

I sometimes do home weights, sometimes use a good local gym depending on my mood but it's once a week max. Find the strength useful for all sorts of things and its always quiet!
Impressive!
Old 09 August 2013, 08:05 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gym 5 nights a week, three heavy and two Yoga, cycling, climbing and if I'm forced running.

My motivation is feeling good.
Old 09 August 2013, 08:09 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Didn't Bruce lee die from being too healthy!
Old 09 August 2013, 08:14 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Just some light free weights and body weight exercises about 3 times a week for me now.

I used to be massively into endurance stuff. My body kind of gave up about 3 years ago as I have elucidated upon in other posts, also have another issue which makes running impossible at the moment, but I want to be able to do a bit of running at some point again. I'd be happy with being able to do 30 min runs a couple of three times a week.

Really depressed about my physical state. Just staying pain free is a goal. I do the light weights to keep a modicum of shape and watch what I eat. Probably about 10 % body fat which is the max I am happy with.
Old 09 August 2013, 10:25 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

There are a lot of posers in my gym... You should see the look I get when I start doing plyometrics... Anyone would think I've just sh@t in their mouths.

I can't run (anymore) unfortunately. I was discharged from the army because of my legs, so that's out.

I still love hiking and mountain biking, but unfortunately I don't always find time to drive to the peaks for a hike, and I don't have a bike rack for the scoob!

I do love time in the gym, especially when it's quiet. Some of the young ******* that come in do annoy me, but I'm (slowly) learning to ignore them and just get on.

Some of the things you guys are posting up is impressive, my target is 14-16% body fat, and maintaining my muscle, I'm aiming for about a 10kg loss over the coming 6 weeks (1st 6lb) so I really need to pull my finger out. No more "cheat days", no more beer all weekend (I haven't had a single one this evening! ) and no more slacking off.

I'm ON IT! Lol

Last edited by Frenchwood; 09 August 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09 August 2013, 10:26 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Didn't Bruce lee die from being too healthy!
I was his "daemons", if you believe in such.

Or maybe it was assassination.

Or just Aspirin. Lol
Old 09 August 2013, 10:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Getting back into it after broke toes, bike but not far pretty decent speed though
Can't run yet but swim 2x 1/2 miles mornings, second half always easier some reason

I'd go gym to improve strength for the above, not even sure there is one here though

Thinking about standard triathlon next year ( Olympic )
Old 09 August 2013, 10:47 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Just about every guy I know who goes to the Gym practically loves themselfs.
Old 09 August 2013, 10:50 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frenchwood
There are a lot of posers in my gym... You should see the look I get when I start doing plyometrics... Anyone would think I've just sh@t in their mouths.

I can't run (anymore) unfortunately. I was discharged from the army because of my legs, so that's out.

I still love hiking and mountain biking, but unfortunately I don't always find time to drive to the peaks for a hike, and I don't have a bike rack for the scoob!

I do love time in the gym, especially when it's quiet. Some of the young ******* that come in do annoy me, but I'm (slowly) learning to ignore them and just get on.

Some of the things you guys are posting up is impressive, my target is 14-16% body fat, and maintaining my muscle, I'm aiming for about a 10kg loss over the coming 6 weeks (1st 6lb) so I really need to pull my finger out. No more "cheat days", no more beer all weekend (I haven't had a single one this evening! ) and no more slacking off.

I'm ON IT! Lol
It's also SN so expect everyone to be built like an Adonis with a rippling six pack and a bench of 350, a panoply of premium investment properties, an IQ of 150, a knowledge of the markets which would shame Warren Buffet, a professional job paying at least 200k which they only do cos they love it (not the money), kids who win scholarships, and an adoring wife who is utterly submissive to them.
Old 09 August 2013, 10:58 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
It's also SN so expect everyone to be built like an Adonis with a rippling six pack and a bench of 350, a panoply of premium investment properties, an IQ of 150, a knowledge of the markets which would shame Warren Buffet, a professional job paying at least 200k which they only do cos they love it (not the money), kids who win scholarships, and an adoring wife who is utterly submissive to them.
Quite a valid point, reading NSR sometimes you would think the average person is into stocks and shares and woulden't bother doing a minutes overtime because they simply don't need the extra wedge..

Perfect people living in perfect worlds lol..

Not!
Old 10 August 2013, 02:59 AM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

I've tried doing the gym thing quite a few times and I really can't stick it.
It just bores the life out of me and I get no pleasure or sense of feeling good from it.
So I don't bother!!

I do walk the dogs daily, horse ride 2-3 times a week, and play netball once a week.
I suppose that will be keeping me fit to a degree, probably a small degree mind! i dont do it for health reasons, just because the dogs and horses need doing.

Diet is probably deficient of everything, but my metabolism is buggered these days so over the week it averages out at about 1/3 of the RDA daily to maintain 9stone.
Old 10 August 2013, 06:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why

Quick Reply: Fitness Fanatics, dieters, and gym flies