Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

VED petition

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2013, 02:18 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VED petition

Many of us do far less than the national average in our scoobs yet pay far more than some who do very high mileage. The VED is based on emissions but the fact a high emmition car doing only 3k per year is less enviormentally unfriendly than a lower emission car doing high mileage is not factored in.

An example of this is, i do between 3k and 4k per year and pay £490 ved.
A friend of mine does 4k per month yet pays Zero.

Please sign this and spread it to other forums. Nothing will change if we don't start shouting about it. I recently wrote to David Cameron and H.M Treasury about the unfairness of VED. I receive the standard reply of Bla bla bla. I didn't expect anything else to be honest. I was going to start my own petition but came across one already started.

https://submissions.epetitions.direc...etitions/37145
Old 08 August 2013, 02:24 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I've just noticed this petition closes on 14/08/2013 16:35. If anyone knows of another petition please post it up.

I also think VED should be charged daily not calender monthly. If you pay for a year you should get a year. If you can Sorn online why cant you suspend online ? If i tax in the 4th week of a month i have given away £30. Yet if i go one day over at the end of the tax i will get fined.
Old 08 August 2013, 02:27 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Signed but unfortunately the petition closes in a few days and there have only been 11 people who signed up
Old 08 August 2013, 02:28 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
I've just noticed this petition closes on 14/08/2013 16:35. If anyone knows of another petition please post it up.

I also think VED should be charged daily not calender monthly. If you pay for a year you should get a year. If you can Sorn online why cant you suspend online ? If i tax in the 4th week of a month i have given away £30. Yet if i go one day over at the end of the tax i will get fined.
I'll post up in here if I see another that's running longer mate
Old 08 August 2013, 02:30 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate. If not i will try and work out how to set up a new one.
Old 08 August 2013, 02:33 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

number 12 although i don't think they'll change the tax as both 2 of my motors is 490 thats a bit to loose lol
Old 08 August 2013, 02:40 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve's Sti
number 12 although i don't think they'll change the tax as both 2 of my motors is 490 thats a bit to loose lol
With the amount of zero rated cars on the road now i think they have already lost a fair amount. When they bought that zero rate in i think they under estimated how many cars would be sold that qualify. Cars like ours can only subsidise to a point. A usage rate could actually earn the Treasury more while being fairer to people like us.
Old 08 August 2013, 02:41 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Flogging a dead horse mate
Old 08 August 2013, 02:47 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
Flogging a dead horse mate
Sadly thats the common attitude with us in Britain. Thats why nothing changes and Rip off Britain continues.
Old 08 August 2013, 02:56 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Sadly thats the common attitude with us in Britain. Thats why nothing changes and Rip off Britain continues.
Yep I totally agree, but you cannot beat the system. Motorists are an easy target nowadays, you only have to look at what we pay for fuel. Do you honestly think a petition would make them lower the tax bracket on a 2.5 sti sports car? I wouldn't buy a Subaru after 2005 for this very reason, it would pain me to pay these silly prices in "road" tax. It’s not even about affordability for me, more principle…
Old 08 August 2013, 02:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yeah but it's also the case that the powers that be don't listen anyway.

We got well over 100,000 signatures on the Hacked Off Leveson petition which means the government are supposed to then consider/debate it. They have just ignored it and still no changes have been made to press regulation.

If we do our bit and they choose to ignore it then what is the point? Yes we can vote them out, but what will arrive in their place.... more of the same! it's a **** state of affairs frankly!
Old 08 August 2013, 04:02 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Yeah but it's also the case that the powers that be don't listen anyway.

We got well over 100,000 signatures on the Hacked Off Leveson petition which means the government are supposed to then consider/debate it. They have just ignored it and still no changes have been made to press regulation.

If we do our bit and they choose to ignore it then what is the point? Yes we can vote them out, but what will arrive in their place.... more of the same! it's a **** state of affairs frankly!
Very true. We live in a dictatorship but our dictator is the system. What ever party you vote for will work to the same system. Imo the only way to change that system is by everybody not voting or wasting their vote. Why vote for a party you don't want or a party you know will ignore you while fleecing you of your heard earned in anyway they can.
A mass no vote so a government can not be formed. I think Gandhi called it passive rebellion and it worked.
Old 08 August 2013, 04:10 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Old 08 August 2013, 04:23 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
that would work too
Old 08 August 2013, 04:46 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I signed it. Can you see my name
Old 08 August 2013, 04:48 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Very true. We live in a dictatorship but our dictator is the system. What ever party you vote for will work to the same system. Imo the only way to change that system is by everybody not voting or wasting their vote. Why vote for a party you don't want or a party you know will ignore you while fleecing you of your heard earned in anyway they can.
A mass no vote so a government can not be formed. I think Gandhi called it passive rebellion and it worked.
Is this a joke?
Old 08 August 2013, 04:58 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Is this a joke?
Did i put a laughing emotion?
Old 08 August 2013, 05:03 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Did i put a laughing emotion?
Emoticon? You should have, you clown.
Old 08 August 2013, 05:29 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Emoticon? You should have, you clown.
Why not just say you disagree, rather than being a ***** about it?
Old 08 August 2013, 05:47 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Why not just say you disagree, rather than being a ***** about it?
Because the former wouldn't adequately express how breathtakingly absurd I find the clown's post.
Old 08 August 2013, 05:50 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Because the former wouldn't adequately express how breathtakingly absurd I find the clown's post.
Pathetic. You must have a very low self esteem.
Old 08 August 2013, 05:58 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Message received. Carrying on with the being-a-***** thing instead
Old 08 August 2013, 06:00 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Pathetic. You must have a very low self esteem.
Sure, but what system do you propose installing once your passive resistance revolution has succeeded?
Old 08 August 2013, 06:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

With the amount of zero rated cars on the road now i think they have already lost a fair amount. When they bought that zero rate in i think they under estimated how many cars would be sold that qualify. Cars like ours can only subsidise to a point. A usage rate could actually earn the Treasury more while being fairer to people like us.
Exactly - the treasury if given the chance would jump at extracting more money from us....For example; We've come very close to being pressured into having pay per mile road tax put into place. We already have congestion tax on inner city London, with other large cities eager to do the same if given the chance. Not to forget the consideration of charging tolls on existing free motorways....If anyone has ever driven long distance through France or Spain, I can assure you UK road tax for a polluting scooby is alot cheaper than the tolls incurred if one drives from Calais to Bordeaux on a regular basis.

However this is where my opinion differs: On that basis of what it costs to use roads in France, I prefer the current UK system: You have a polluting gas guzzler...pay up....or sell up! Sorry. The only thing I disagree with is zero-rated cars. As I think that every road user and every vehicle should pay a road tax - trailers, caravans, horses, bicycles etc.

I and many of us have a uneconomical performance car...its our choice to. And more notably we (or I do at least) have these types of cars becuase one can afford to run them. That includes tax. Fuel. Insurance etc.

If you can't afford it. Sorry, sell up and get a Skoda 1.4Tdi. Actually if I really were in poverty a second hand Mitubushi Colt 1.5Di would be my choice...Mercedes 3pot engine, goes ok (for a shytebox diesel...even better when mapped ). Sounds interesting (for a diesel). Averages 55+mpg and £100ish to tax.

IMO a fancy/fast car is a luxury....a lifestyle choice. Not a right. For example I can't abide those idiots that buy 4x4s for their missus and then moan about the cost of running them. Much the same as those who moan that a car that does 0-60 in sub 6 seconds has a high running cost. That includes the tax..which when broken down into what it costs per day is pennies!

Another way of looking at it: Road tax is better value than a Sky TV subscription! (or a TV licence )

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 August 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09 August 2013, 11:58 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Exactly - the treasury if given the chance would jump at extracting more money from us....For example; We've come very close to being pressured into having pay per mile road tax put into place. We already have congestion tax on inner city London, with other large cities eager to do the same if given the chance. Not to forget the consideration of charging tolls on existing free motorways....If anyone has ever driven long distance through France or Spain, I can assure you UK road tax for a polluting scooby is alot cheaper than the tolls incurred if one drives from Calais to Bordeaux on a regular basis.

However this is where my opinion differs: On that basis of what it costs to use roads in France, I prefer the current UK system: You have a polluting gas guzzler...pay up....or sell up! Sorry. The only thing I disagree with is zero-rated cars. As I think that every road user and every vehicle should pay a road tax - trailers, caravans, horses, bicycles etc.

I and many of us have a uneconomical performance car...its our choice to. And more notably we (or I do at least) have these types of cars becuase one can afford to run them. That includes tax. Fuel. Insurance etc.

If you can't afford it. Sorry, sell up and get a Skoda 1.4Tdi. Actually if I really were in poverty a second hand Mitubushi Colt 1.5Di would be my choice...Mercedes 3pot engine, goes ok (for a shytebox diesel...even better when mapped ). Sounds interesting (for a diesel). Averages 55+mpg and £100ish to tax.

IMO a fancy/fast car is a luxury....a lifestyle choice. Not a right. For example I can't abide those idiots that buy 4x4s for their missus and then moan about the cost of running them. Much the same as those who moan that a car that does 0-60 in sub 6 seconds has a high running cost. That includes the tax..which when broken down into what it costs per day is pennies!

Another way of looking at it: Road tax is better value than a Sky TV subscription! (or a TV licence )
It's not about griping a gas guzzler pays more tax than a small town car, that was and is always the case. It's the illogical way the rate is set and the unfair way its charged.
You could have 2 identical cars yet one was registered a day later than the other. Because of this one car pays nearly twice as much VED. Same for grey imported cars.
My other gripe is the way VED is charged. You buy your tax at the start of a calender month. For some cars VED works out at £10 per week. So it you tax your car because you need it at the end of the month you give HM Treasury £30 for nothing. This extra 3 weeks they had is not taken into account at the end of you tax disc expiry date and you will be fined for going 1 day over, regardless of the 3 weeks payment they had covering a pre sorned period. If VED is going to be this expensive it should be calculated daily, not calender monthly. If you pay for 12 months you should get 12 months. If you can buy or sorn on-line you should be able to suspend it on-line. There is no need for a date to even be on the disc these days as every disc has a bar-code and every cars tax,ins, and mot is on the national data base.
We would all moan if our insurance company's charged in the same way, yet my ved is £91 per year more expensive than my comprehensive insurance.
Old 09 August 2013, 11:59 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Sure, but what system do you propose installing once your passive resistance revolution has succeeded?
I do have idea's on that but because of your trolling attitude i have no interest in debating them with you.
Old 09 August 2013, 12:20 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I do have idea's on that but because of your trolling attitude i have no interest in debating them with you.
What if someone else asks you? Will you share your ideas then?
Old 09 August 2013, 01:31 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Totally disagree Ali-B
I have a clio 172. It does over 40mpg on the motorway so can't be that bad for the environment. The car cost me £1250 and yet has already cost me nearly £500 in VED over 2 years.
I don't have the money to afford a new car which offers £0 VED. Why do people with money get the tax break?
Also, my clio is a track focused car that does £1K miles per year. Should I really have to pay over £200 every year?
Bear in mind I also have to pay £260 for my ST220 which does £4k miles per year and is probably only worth about £3k.
Yes I could drive more efficient cars, but why should I? You don't get full electric heated leather recaros in a boring diesel mondeo
Old 09 August 2013, 02:47 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
Totally disagree Ali-B
I have a clio 172. It does over 40mpg on the motorway so can't be that bad for the environment. The car cost me £1250 and yet has already cost me nearly £500 in VED over 2 years.
I don't have the money to afford a new car which offers £0 VED. Why do people with money get the tax break?
Also, my clio is a track focused car that does £1K miles per year. Should I really have to pay over £200 every year?
Bear in mind I also have to pay £260 for my ST220 which does £4k miles per year and is probably only worth about £3k.
Yes I could drive more efficient cars, but why should I? You don't get full electric heated leather recaros in a boring diesel mondeo
Good point. I bet the mobility benifit also played a part in this zero rate VED. I bet most of the cars supplied under mobility fall within the ved zero rate which would normally have been paid for by the benifit. People gave up the benefit to get a free new car with tax, insurance ect all paid for. The government now save that money which was swapped from the disabled for their benefit and it is also subsidised by the higher paying ved cars. Government got paid twice !
Old 09 August 2013, 03:07 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Also, company car tax is based on emissions so its in their interest to buy cars with low emissions which means of course £0 VED or a small amount anyway.
So of course that's all subsidised by us with older cars getting stitched up.

The current system is encouraging me to swap my prehistoric car for a nice shiny new one to prop up the car industry and for that I can have free tax and save the environment at the same time. However that's bull**** as its far less efficient to build me another car when I already have one. I am being efficient by getting the most from my old car instead of scrapping it. At least that way it was worthwhile making it in the first place.
Sorry, I'm in rant mode here!

Quick Reply: VED petition