Cool Geoffrey Bloom

The more I hear of this guy, the more I like him

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23597233
Old 07 August 2013, 11:09 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could start with hearing his name then. It's Godfrey, not Geoffrey

While the terms used in his rhetoric might not be PC he is talking a lot of sense!
Old 07 August 2013, 11:35 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I thinks he needs to give some justification to his comments like "To buy Ray-Ban sunglasses, apartments in Paris, Ferraris and all the rest of it that goes with most of the foreign aid."

It's probably a good idea to support Pakistan as they have nukes susceptible to take over by Taliban.

dl
Old 07 August 2013, 11:40 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by f1_fan

While the terms used in his rhetoric might not be PC he is talking a lot of sense!

I knew it was Godfrey, I have no idea why I typed Geoffrey
Old 07 August 2013, 12:03 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I thinks he needs to give some justification to his comments like "To buy Ray-Ban sunglasses, apartments in Paris, Ferraris and all the rest of it that goes with most of the foreign aid."

It's probably a good idea to support Pakistan as they have nukes susceptible to take over by Taliban.

dl
Like F1 said, not very pc but he does have a valid point..
Old 07 August 2013, 01:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My MEP.
Old 07 August 2013, 01:13 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The interview on the Today programme is classic. The screeching halt John Humphries performs when Godfrey points out that he is elected as well as David Cameron is just brilliant.

This is the beauty of UKIP, just plain talking, this is a problem, we're going to do something about it stance. By promoting this story, the Guardian and BBC will actually increase UKIP support, rather the opposite of what they intended IMHO

Last edited by warrenm2; 07 August 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07 August 2013, 01:26 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

He must have been listening to the late MP Alan Clark from years back, who landed himself in it with the same phrase.

It's refreshing to hear someone of prominence speaking plainly for a change, and I think he's right, too.
Old 07 August 2013, 01:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Some of them buy Bentleys. !
Old 07 August 2013, 01:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Got a to be better than giving it to Joe blogs to extend his garage
Old 07 August 2013, 03:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Whatever one thinks of his ideas, it was a very stupid remark to make. Takes the attention right away from his argument and also makes him appear self important which is a good way to detract from a lot of the support he might achieve.

Les
Old 07 August 2013, 06:52 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Of course he's talking sense, but why haven't you hit him with the old tried and tested 'racist bigot' label?
Old 07 August 2013, 07:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Of course he's talking sense, but why haven't you hit him with the old tried and tested 'racist bigot' label?
Because he is talking about stopping foreign aid and not about 'chucking out the darkies'.
Old 07 August 2013, 07:19 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Because he is talking about stopping foreign aid and not about 'chucking out the darkies'.
Wouldn't use your term but throwing all our hard earned at foreign aid is just the same as unchecked immigration.
Old 07 August 2013, 07:44 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

His interview just now on CH4 news was amusing. Not quite sure what to make of it but I indeed would rather concentrate on misuse of funds than an old man using a very outdated term for those in particular regions of the world, however daft the use of it was.
Old 07 August 2013, 07:56 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Wouldn't use your term but throwing all our hard earned at foreign aid is just the same as unchecked immigration.
Doesnt get looked at in the same light though. Some people are to stupid to see that its essentially the same thing
Old 07 August 2013, 08:01 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by Torquemada
His interview just now on CH4 news was amusing. Not quite sure what to make of it but I indeed would rather concentrate on misuse of funds than an old man using a very outdated term for those in particular regions of the world, however daft the use of it was.
Indeed. Guru Murty (sp?) "wasn't interested in talking about aid" more interested in one dimensional baiting. I thought the UKIP guy came out of the interview very well. Finally I've seen someone say what they feel on tv. He'dget my vote over the fakers and bullsh1tters.
Old 07 August 2013, 08:07 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Indeed. Guru Murty (sp?) "wasn't interested in talking about aid" more interested in one dimensional baiting. I thought the UKIP guy came out of the interview very well. Finally I've seen someone say what they feel on tv. He'dget my vote over the fakers and bullsh1tters.
It was comedy wasn't it
Old 07 August 2013, 08:10 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

It was, made the interviewer look a complete tool. Let's not talk about supposed wastage and affordability of international aid, let's just focus on 3 words.
Old 07 August 2013, 11:09 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Yup lets miss out the part where the guys is talking sense and probably what a lot of people think anyway, and in my eyes a good way to sort the UK deficit out and a vote winner for many people, and unfortunately concentrate on the bongo bongo land bit.
Maybe I'm still childish but I thought it was funny, and plain old straight talking.

yeah it could have been put across better, but it sure would not got the exposure it has, deliberate - possibly.

Richard
Old 07 August 2013, 11:16 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That's one way of raising the profile of the UK Ignorance Party and keeping them in the public eye. I doubt they will ever get a chance to run this country, but you never know....
Old 07 August 2013, 11:51 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Doesnt get looked at in the same light though. Some people are to stupid to see that its essentially the same thing
Utter tosh, it's not remotely the same thing!

Immigration has been, on the whole, a very positive thing for the UK and many immigrants come here, work and pay taxes (yes I know in your world it all goes out of the country, but in the real world it doesn't of course).

Whereas foreign aid is esesentially just throwing money away with no chance of any return at best.
Old 07 August 2013, 11:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
That's one way of raising the profile of the UK Ignorance Party and keeping them in the public eye. I doubt they will ever get a chance to run this country, but you never know....
Yeah, but they'll keep Cameron from getting in and that's his own fault for a) being a p1ss poor PM and b) trying to buy an election win.

As for ignorance how about off the cuff remarks about fracking the north of England for a start... or no doubt that sort of thing goes unchecked when it's your party of choice saying it

Anyway Milliband will be the next PM, enjoy
Old 08 August 2013, 06:28 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Immigration has been, on the whole, a very positive thing for the UK and many immigrants come here, work and pay taxes (yes I know in your world it all goes out of the country, but in the real world it doesn't of course).

Whereas foreign aid is esesentially just throwing money away with no chance of any return at best.

I'm sorry but just what kind of 'return' were you expecting from foreign aid? It is meant to be aid not an investment.

I would have no problem with our level of FA if it were spent and used wisely. Actually I would like to see it increased, I'd much rather my tax money went to help the real starving and poor of the world than fat lazy chavs in this country.

The issue is it probably isn't spent wisely and unless that can be resolved people will rightly question it.

Thank god nobody has used the phrase 'charity begins at home' yet, it doesn't actually make sense. It is usually used by selfish self absorbed individuals as a justification for why their need for a Playstation is greater than somebody elses need for food or medicine.
Old 08 August 2013, 08:13 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I'm sorry but just what kind of 'return' were you expecting from foreign aid? It is meant to be aid not an investment.
None, which was exactly the point I was making... it's different to immigration for precisley that respect! I thought I made that quite clear to be honst

As to the remainder of your post I wish it was used for neither FA or the fat lazy chavs!

Last edited by f1_fan; 08 August 2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08 August 2013, 08:26 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are people here naive enough to think 'Foreign Aid' means foreign aid?! I thought you lot were cleverer than this.

Lets call a spade a spade and call it what it really is; a foreign bribery fund.
Old 08 August 2013, 10:08 AM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

But we already have people in this country that are capable of working and paying taxes but you would rather condemn them to a lifetime on benefit with no training or prospects and contribute towards the cost from your hard earned.
Old 08 August 2013, 10:26 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

But we already have people in this country that are capable of working and paying taxes but you would rather condemn them to a lifetime on benefit with no training or prospects and contribute towards the cost from your hard earned.
Would I? How?

I keep reading on other threads here that nearly all of them don't want to work, are scroungers etc.

Your take on it is that it's all the immigrants fault yes?

The truth of course lies in the middle and is complex. There are people that don't want to work, there are people that won't work for as little as the jobs pay. There are cases where immigrants will do jobs for less than the indigenous population. There are cases where immigrants will do the jobs others won't. There are caes where the immigrants will do a job better than the indigenious population. And there are cases where the imigrants are a burden on our society as are some of the homegrowns. Overall though I still think immigration has been a positive for the UK!

Foreign aid, however, is a one way street... money ss given out and that's it! Gone and forgotten! As long asit makes the government feel good though that's OK, it's not like it's their money after all
Old 08 August 2013, 11:13 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you honestly believe foreign aid does nothing other than give the government a feel good factor?
Old 08 August 2013, 11:33 AM
Neoscooby
Scooby Regular

[quote=Dingdongler;11172291]I'm sorry but just what kind of 'return' were you expecting from foreign aid? It is meant to be aid not an investment.

Not really though, is it? As someone earlier pointed out, its so we can hopefully get a return on the money we give, e.g. hopefully they'll purchase some of our fairly mediocre military equipment.

The problems are; the 'aid' very rarely reaches the people who need it, and secondly we don't don't seem to be get an awful lot back from it.

So it has failed on both counts, unyet we still continue to supply it