Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Working age cut off point.

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2013, 08:03 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Working age cut off point.

Just found out today that one of my relatives is 72 years old this month,and is still in a full time job.
I was absolutely gobsmacked by the news.
So do any of you think it's acceptable to be still working at this age,because I am determined to finish work as soon as possible.
Obviously I'm from a different generation...
Old 21 July 2013, 08:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

A great idea that many benefit from if it is their choice.
Old 21 July 2013, 08:45 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously doesn't work as a teacher then?
Old 21 July 2013, 09:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Our one receptionist is 72; still working. We lately hired a 23-yr. old girl on 6-month Government funded work experience contract, but she was very upset upon having to leave because she needed to work. Our 72 yr. old receptionist reduced her working days to accommodate her, but the quality of work is so different. Our 72 yr. old is absolutely mint at her job. Never misses an email to send out by the deadline, never double-books appointments. Whereas the younger one is more from the school of thought- "I have a job for earning money, doesn't matter if I'm not spot on with my job". Massive difference. What I'm saying is that longer people work, longer they remain healthy. I also identify and admire stronger work ethics in older people.
Old 21 July 2013, 09:41 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Our one receptionist is 72; still working. We lately hired a 23-yr. old girl on 6-month Government funded work experience contract, but she was very upset upon having to leave because she needed to work. Our 72 yr. old receptionist reduced her working days to accommodate her, but the quality of work is so different. Our 72 yr. old is absolutely mint at her job. Never misses an email to send out by the deadline, never double-books appointments. Whereas the younger one is more from the school of thought- "I have a job for earning money, doesn't matter if I'm not spot on with my job". Massive difference. What I'm saying is that longer people work, longer they remain healthy. I also identify and admire stronger work ethics in older people.
This is so true. Iv employed people in their 70s as well as school leavers & the work ethic of the older employee is so much better. Kids today want a job, but they just don't want to work hard to earn money & spend most of the day texting their mates & generally skiving off, sick days on Mondays being far too common. Many older people enjoy working & don't do it for the money.
Old 21 July 2013, 09:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
This is so true. Iv employed people in their 70s as well as school leavers & the work ethic of the older employee is so much better. Kids today want a job, but they just don't want to work hard to earn money & spend most of the day texting their mates & generally skiving off, sick days on Mondays being far too common. Many older people enjoy working & don't do it for the money.
I know. Sickness, late arrival to work and skiving with young employees are regular problems. Mind you, I also had a lad (21) on a graduate placement. He was a chilled out kid with terrific work ethics. That's rare in my experience.
Old 21 July 2013, 09:55 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

My dad still works and he is 76. Different things for different people. Work has always been his hobby, why should he give it up. My next door neighbour is retired, what does he do all day, power wash the drive. My mums husband is retired, sits at home all day on pills. Work keeps your mind active and allows you to mix with younger people.
I aim to work until I'm 80 , as long as someone will employ me.

Btw, my dad has never been in hospital, ever. I've never known him take a day off work sick, ever. He has lots of friends and loves the social aspect of work.

Last edited by paulr; 21 July 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 21 July 2013, 10:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Just found out today that one of my relatives is 72 years old this month,and is still in a full time job.
So do any of you think it's acceptable to be still working at this age,because I am determined to finish work as soon as possible.
Finish work and do what.
Old 21 July 2013, 10:06 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Are you for real?
The days where people retired at 60 or 65 are long gone.
Old 21 July 2013, 10:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
My dad still works and he is 76. Different things for different people. Work has always been his hobby, why should he give it up. My next door neighbour is retired, what does he do all day, power wash the drive. My mums husband is retired, sits at home all day on pills. Work keeps your mind active and allows you to mix with younger people.
I aim to work until I'm 80 , as long as someone will employ me.

Btw, my dad has never been in hospital, ever. I've never known him take a day off work sick, ever. He has lots of friends and loves the social aspect of work.
Good on your father.

I'll never retire until I live. It can only be a serious illness that would stop me from working, or my death. I can't see myself counting and pulling weeds in the garden at my old age, I f**king hate gardening, man.
Old 21 July 2013, 10:31 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I have 4 guys who work for me who have retired form previous careers. Three of them are around 60 - they have no intention of giving up work. Despite the odd senior moment, I can not fault the dedication and loyalty they have shown.
Old 21 July 2013, 11:10 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope to be debt free by 67 Then can think about calling it a day if I live that long..........
Old 22 July 2013, 12:30 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
I think it very much depends upon the individual, at least in my experience at work.

We have quite a range of ages employed, from 16 through to 70s. Some of the older folk are of the attitude of I won't do this or that because of age-I'm not saying it's due to age, they use it as the reason (in some circumstances I think it's a lack of confidence, not that they won't do something, just they think they won't be able to). That said, some of them will try their hand at anything asked of them, and give their very best.

Then the young, I'll class them as the 16-30 group because compared to years gone by, we don't have all that many 16/18 year olds any more (not due to work ethic btw). Again, there is a mix of attitudes. Some like a skive more than others, or are quick to throw a sicky, but plenty work hard and are reliable.

Just going by my observations alone, and I'm not saying they are the rule, I honestly couldn't say there is a massive difference in work ethic between employees of different ages.
Old 22 July 2013, 07:36 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I think it very much depends upon the individual, at least in my experience at work.

We have quite a range of ages employed, from 16 through to 70s. Some of the older folk are of the attitude of I won't do this or that because of age-I'm not saying it's due to age, they use it as the reason (in some circumstances I think it's a lack of confidence, not that they won't do something, just they think they won't be able to). That said, some of them will try their hand at anything asked of them, and give their very best.

Then the young, I'll class them as the 16-30 group because compared to years gone by, we don't have all that many 16/18 year olds any more (not due to work ethic btw). Again, there is a mix of attitudes. Some like a skive more than others, or are quick to throw a sicky, but plenty work hard and are reliable.

Just going by my observations alone, and I'm not saying they are the rule, I honestly couldn't say there is a massive difference in work ethic between employees of different ages.
I think it's the type of work, when I worked in the retail world we had people who were exactly the same.. I've been here 30 years and I've earned the right to do less than the young ones .. that said, my dad is 68 and still working 12 hour days, more because he wants to though.

I don't plan to retire early, unless I have enough money to keep busy, or you're basically just waiting to die
Old 22 July 2013, 09:10 AM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Other than it would cause financial hardship, I can't see why anybody would want to work past their retirement date.
Old 22 July 2013, 10:18 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

I will be 63 this year and I am still working, but for myself rather than for somebody else.
I don't plan to stop working when I reach 65, but might reduce the workload to a part-time level and start to enjoy some free time.
I can't imagine not working at all, I need that challenge in my life.
Old 22 July 2013, 12:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My dad is 65, he has gone to three days, and so has my mum, they both enjoy work more and get time to do what they need that you just dont get with 4 weeks hols a year and a 2 day weekend.

My dad is in a skilled engineering job so there arent many left doing it, so it suits the company for him to stay on, he isn't stopping a youngster from getting a job as there arent any qualified and skilled o do what he does, it doesnt need a media studies degree or similar, it needs to be able to operate a lathe and stuff like that.

He is just going to keep going until he has had enough, my uncle who retired a couple of years ago really struggled going from busy to loads of time on his hands, couldn't sleep and got very bored, after 50 years of work, stopping completely is a big wrench, so I think slowing down, if possible is a good idea.
Old 22 July 2013, 12:36 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

MOst people after this Generation will have to work till they drop dead, as they (Me included) will have no pension to fall back on.

Sad but true.
Old 22 July 2013, 03:53 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Finish work and do what.

How about doing a bit of charity work that will benefit those less well off than yourself. Or are you so wrapped up in your own little world that you have never thought of this.

You will get a lot of pleasure in helping others, believe me. I do.
Old 22 July 2013, 03:53 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'll be going at 53, so 20 more years to go.
Old 22 July 2013, 07:02 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong I've worked from the day I left school,minus the years at college.
Army and mechanic in the police.
I want to travel more....
Old 22 July 2013, 07:08 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I aim to give it all up before 60 but who knows, my father still works albeit part time at 70 this year. Sometimes it's about being busy doing something rather than nothing.
Old 22 July 2013, 10:39 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you are on a police pension then DYK ?

Shaun
Old 23 July 2013, 04:53 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
So you are on a police pension then DYK ?

Shaun

Well being a mechanic then you still classed as a civilian btw i was only a trainee at the time as i originally started in the parts/stores dept,but working alongside mechanics i used to watch them working on the police cars and got interested in it.
Got made redundant though about 18 months into my training when the new Chief Constable made job cuts in transport,six mechanics had to go and i was one of them.
As for pension i was paying into one at the time,but that ended when i left..
wished i had carried on with mechanics though...
Old 24 July 2013, 12:12 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

I'm set up for retiring at 55. What will I do. Go on holiday, play golf and generally chill out. Surely you deserve to work hard and retire. Saying that full time job I have just now means working 21 weeks a years and having 31 off so semi retired at 30. Got to love the oil and gas industry
Old 24 July 2013, 01:07 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
Other than it would cause financial hardship, I can't see why anybody would want to work past their retirement date.
This.

As soon as I'm financially comfortable work is over for me. That's not to say I wouldn't do work, just nothing structured, tying etc the odd job just pottering about for a few pennies.

I just want to be able to do my own thing whenever I want. I couldn't think of anything worse than working til you drop.
Old 24 July 2013, 05:06 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ciaran
Got to love the oil and gas industry
Yep, I finished at 49, got my pension at 50, happy days. Had 6 months off and then started my own company. I choose to work as I like expensive toys, holidays etc. I also like the social interaction you get in work.