Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay your best and worst experiences. Please share

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2013, 09:44 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay your best and worst experiences. Please share

Over the years I've had some cracking deals in both buying and selling, but also have met "virtually" some nasty buggers, by the same token have dealt with some absolute gentlemen and ladies. I will share my latest rogue (once resolved) but in the meantime please share your tales
Old 20 July 2013, 10:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

My worst one was when I tried to sell Mr. Beans replica teddy. It was brand new with Harrods tag. I said clearly in the description that it was a replica, but a dude from America messaged me with anger- "What??? You want tenner for it??? It's a day light robbery!". Of course I told him- " Ok, then you don't need to bid or even watch the teddy, do you?". He p1ssed off, then. Teddy did sell for good money. I bet he saw his bum. It was quite intimidating, then. That's because he sent a few pressurising messages to me to sell it to him for a fiver.
Old 20 July 2013, 10:35 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best: Got myself a brand new Direnza alloy rad for about £60 - they retail at £200 and it is well made.

Worst: Bought a momo race air gearknob that was described as like new, so tarnished/dirty it was black rather than silver and eBay backed the seller when I raised a dispute

Never really met anyone that angry in the virtual sense except the guy who expected me to pay to post 2 airbags to Europe after I listed them for pick up only...

Last edited by JonMc; 20 July 2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 20 July 2013, 10:45 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Nothing bad in 10 yrs.

Best was I bought two princess Diana auction catalogues from Christies for £75 each. She died, then I sold them on eBay for 2k.
Old 20 July 2013, 10:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

My best one was when I sold my Scooby low level spoiler. It sold in 20 minutes! The gentleman paid instantly, and left top feedback. Same was with old tyres and wheels when I modded for low profilers. He was an awfully nice gentleman who came to collect them. Such a sweet bloke. God bless him.
Old 20 July 2013, 10:49 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

2005 had the both for me best/worst

set of 4 ST200 alloys in vgc inc nearly new branded tyres no reserve auction £41 delivered

paid £7000 for an freshly imported sti type-r (mdb imports) im still waiting for the car and lost another £2000 last year in solicitors fees ive given up and car has not arrived
Old 21 July 2013, 07:21 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Worst - its a long, tedious story, but the end result was a photograph being sent to me from a very, very angry man of himself standing on my front door step holding a large kitchen knife, with the caption "you werent in when I came visiting...."

Best - bought a Citroen van for £150 with a faulty clutch, which was a very easy repair and found a top-spec laser/radar speed trap detector under the seat, which I sold for £120 or so, making the van pretty much free. Its still going strong 5 years later.

most recent - won a nice car for a good price last weekend, but apart from one half-assed email saying he would contact me later, the seller refuses to answer me. He set no reserve price and probably just wants more money for it. I have left him stinking feedback, but there is nothing else I can really do. Shame, as I really want the car!
Old 21 July 2013, 08:37 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

I've been selling as a business on eBay for more than ten years and have a separate buying ID.
Never had a bad sale in over 10 years on there.
Buying is a different matter though. Some people are crap at selling, they put up rubbish photos and one line descriptions. I bought a job lot of what was described as plastic lorries from one such seller, I couldn't tell how good a coindition they were in because the photo was blurred, sent a message to ask about condition and received a short one word answer 'good'. I guessed at the manufacturer of these lorries so took a gamble, paid the tenner and was pleasantly surprised.
They were nicely packed, all in original boxes (not in description) and absolutely mint. I then did 4 or more photographs of each model and put them on eBay on one of my suitable shops. The cheapest sale was £105.90 and the best sold for £250.10, there were 10 models in total and all went back to collectors in the country of manufacture.
I gamble on what I buy from sellers like that, I've just received a job lot of old model railway wagons, they all turned out to be Hornby Dublo made by Meccano of Liverpool, another tenner well spent with a projected profit of over £100. I am now waiting for my next lot of 'old metal cars' to arrive.
Old 21 July 2013, 10:11 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I have never had a bad experience on Ebay, been lucky I guess although I do stay away from anyone with low or irrelevant feedback (e.g. selling a laptop yet all feedback is for buying cushions).

Best deals

2 brand new 500GB SCSI drives for £100 when they were £600 each at the time

Volvo V40 2003 with FVSH for less than a grand - had it 12 months, haven't spent a bean on it other than a service.

Recently snapped up a set of AMG IV 19" split rim wheels.... retail cost new would be £5K for the 4, I paid just over a grand, but they do need a refurb. Usually these go for £2000 plus in that state and even more after a refurb so very happy wtih that deal.

My business partner had the worst expereince I know of. Bought some computer components off a seller that turned out to be stolen. For some reason the police (having little or no understanding of Ebay back then) got very confused and raided my business partner's house, confiscated his car and then somehow accused him of assaulting a police officer and banged him in cells for a night.

They had to do a lot of apologising when they realised he had absolutely nothing to do with this Ebay seller and was actually a victim of his crime and hadn't assaulted anyone!

Last edited by f1_fan; 21 July 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 21 July 2013, 10:21 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put some really bad 14" wheel steelies with crap tyres (hardly any tread left) up on eBay and got £30 quid of them. The man was foreign and travelled all the way from London to collect which is a good 2 hours away from me. I really can't understand it....
Old 21 July 2013, 11:09 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Had some absolute bargains with regards to vinyls over the years. Maybe not so much actual monitery value but rarity or quantity price wise to add to my growing collection.

Worst was when I was naive and bought what I thought was a pair of Pioneer HDJ1000 headphones cheap. Suspicious from the word go when they arrived from Hong Kong in dubious packaging - turned out to be fake and fell to pieces pretty quick.
Old 21 July 2013, 12:35 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Selling a Prodrive mapped ECU from my RB5 for £500 and managing to buy a ECUTEK licensed for £50 and getting it mapped by Andy forrest for £200.

Also buying 3 closed deck blocks for £150 and selling them for £400 each.

I actually had 15 CDB's at one point total profit £2k
Those days are gone though there £300 each now
Old 21 July 2013, 01:25 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worst one...Sent a set of defi din gauges to a guy in france, said he never received them, Only got half the ins/sale value back via Royal Fail!!

Best...Back in 2000 I bought a rare LP for £157...Advertised it back up for auction with a big reserve because i knew what it was worth, Bidding reached just over £3k but i had a reserve of £3.5k on it...Still got it now and its worth £5k+
Old 21 July 2013, 01:28 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Put all my old rallysport annuals up and got no bids. A week later had a PM from a guy in Kent offering me 450 quid for them.