Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

for you plane fans (spitfire)

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2013, 08:10 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for you plane fans (spitfire)

i was up picking my daughter up from work the other week and while i was there this was getting filmed.
Old 19 July 2013, 08:19 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Don't care for that version of the Spit because its not standard as it came out of the factory and was converted into a two seater. Just not cricket in my book dear boy.
Old 19 July 2013, 08:19 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

I don't see the point, but, any film with a Spit in is good enough for me
Old 19 July 2013, 08:35 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Don't care for that version of the Spit because its not standard as it came out of the factory and was converted into a two seater. Just not cricket in my book dear boy.
Totally agree but I wouldn't say no to the offer of a flight in the instructor's seat.
Old 19 July 2013, 08:41 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

What would have made it really interesting would have been for the Range Rover to do a victory roll as well!
Old 19 July 2013, 09:14 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

True but as they are the spitfire academy and train people to fly them (if you have plenty of cash) i supose thats what they have to do, they do have 4 or 5 proper ones up there aswell.
Old 19 July 2013, 10:48 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading up on it, the plane was wrecked. Any rebuild isn't really authentic. And I gather all two-seaters were retrospective conversions anyway.
Old 20 July 2013, 12:24 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I see that plane flying regularly

Went shopping a few weeks ago and was treated to an impromptu display from one of these Spitfire's doing low dives and banks at the Chichester end of the circuit

Mart
Old 20 July 2013, 12:42 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

you must be quite close to me then mart lol
they do have a few based there nowdays and as you say quite often we get a free display which is always a bonus.
Old 20 July 2013, 01:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very few spitfires ended up as they left the factory

Lots were rebuilt after damage, and lots where retro fitted with upgrades and modifications during active service
Old 20 July 2013, 02:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I still grind my teeth when I think of the time that I was offered the chance to fly the Rolls Royce Spitfire only for the opportunity to be lost because of circumstances which could not be helped.

The fact that the aircraft mentioned has been modified to be a twin seater with dual control really does not disqualify the machine from still being essentially that wonderful aircraft to which we owe so much in company with the Hurricane and the Lancaster.

It is still the original airframe which was constructed at the factory and has only been comparatively slightly modified from the original design. The handling will still be virtually the same as the original and the fact that it is in existence makes it possible for more pilots to be safely checked out safely to fly it.

I have flown a good few aircraft which were either solo versions or dual control modified with virtually indistinguishable flying characteristics.

If I was offered a flight in the dual control version of the Spitfire I would be leaving black lines down the road getting to the airfield!

Les
Old 20 July 2013, 03:28 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

les you have a PM mate.
Old 20 July 2013, 05:28 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b road blaster
you must be quite close to me then mart lol
they do have a few based there nowdays and as you say quite often we get a free display which is always a bonus.

More than likley

Mart
Old 20 July 2013, 07:30 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Very few spitfires ended up as they left the factory

Lots were rebuilt after damage, and lots where retro fitted with upgrades and modifications during active service
Rubbish, there were no two seater Spitfires used in action and there were no two seater Spitfires in existence during 1939-45.
Old 20 July 2013, 11:55 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

You are an idiot
Old 21 July 2013, 06:24 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

You are an idiot
No you are the idiot, I'll bet you think the Millennium Falcon is real.
Old 21 July 2013, 06:47 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

A spit and a Lancaster flew directly over us at a very low height yesterday here in Donington,lincs where we are for the MIL's birthday. I told her I'd arranged it for her birthday.
Old 21 July 2013, 06:51 PM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

arm the spit - then wel see - lovely vid mate fantastic - think id roll the rover so i didnt win
Old 21 July 2013, 06:55 PM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I still grind my teeth when I think of the time that I was offered the chance to fly the Rolls Royce Spitfire only for the opportunity to be lost because of circumstances which could not be helped.

The fact that the aircraft mentioned has been modified to be a twin seater with dual control really does not disqualify the machine from still being essentially that wonderful aircraft to which we owe so much in company with the Hurricane and the Lancaster.

It is still the original airframe which was constructed at the factory and has only been comparatively slightly modified from the original design. The handling will still be virtually the same as the original and the fact that it is in existence makes it possible for more pilots to be safely checked out safely to fly it.

I have flown a good few aircraft which were either solo versions or dual control modified with virtually indistinguishable flying characteristics.

If I was offered a flight in the dual control version of the Spitfire I would be leaving black lines down the road getting to the airfield!

Les
old un /leslie - like me you love this machine - come with me and il show you a griffon in the scottish mountains
Old 21 July 2013, 07:07 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

I'm a firm believer that any surviving Spitfire should be kept original as possible and as a mark of respect should be in the original squadron markings and colours of the era, and not be molested and converted to two seats.

Its the same with classic or vintage racing cars, must be kept original as possible or it is just disrespectful to the original design.
Old 21 July 2013, 07:17 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain250
old un /leslie - like me you love this machine - come with me and il show you a griffon in the scottish mountains
Forget going all the way up to Scotland, I can show you a shed load of Griffons (Ex Avro Shackletons) in Pilling, Lancashire.
Old 21 July 2013, 07:45 PM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

Forget going all the way up to Scotland, I can show you a shed load of Griffons (Ex Avro Shackletons) in Pilling, Lancashire.
now that id like to see inverness was a pretty small town 30 ish years ago and the shaks used to use it as a turning point out of lossie i had the drone every day - ps was there not something mad about the prop ? - i now live outside inverness and one crashed up here after losing an engine over the firth - ive tried to track it down
Old 21 July 2013, 08:43 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain250
now that id like to see inverness was a pretty small town 30 ish years ago and the shaks used to use it as a turning point out of lossie i had the drone every day - ps was there not something mad about the prop ? - i now live outside inverness and one crashed up here after losing an engine over the firth - ive tried to track it down
These are factory fresh and crated but never used.
Old 22 July 2013, 10:16 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Rubbish, there were no two seater Spitfires used in action and there were no two seater Spitfires in existence during 1939-45.
in the name clarity can you please explain what is "rubbish" about my post

I will repeat it here

"Very few spitfires ended up as they left the factory

Lots were rebuilt after damage, and lots where retro fitted with upgrades and modifications during active service"
Old 23 July 2013, 07:12 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

in the name clarity can you please explain what is "rubbish" about my post

I will repeat it here

"Very few spitfires ended up as they left the factory

Lots were rebuilt after damage, and lots where retro fitted with upgrades and modifications during active service"
What like blow off valves, roof scoops and alloy wheels
Old 23 July 2013, 07:37 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

"Supermarine developed a two-seat variant known as the T Mk VIII to be used for training, but none were ordered, and only one example was ever constructed (identified as N32/G-AIDN by Supermarine).[130] In the absence of an official two-seater variant, a number of airframes were crudely converted in the field. These included a 4 Squadron SAAF Mk VB in North Africa, where a second seat was fitted instead of the upper fuel tank in front of the cockpit, although it was not a dual-control aircraft and is thought to have been used as the squadron "run-about."[131] The only unofficial two-seat conversions that were fitted with dual-controls were a small number of Russian lend/lease Mk IX aircraft. These were referred to as Mk IX UTI and differed from the Supermarine proposals by using an inline "greenhouse" style double canopy rather than the raised "bubble" type of the T Mk VIII."

Presumably, when the aircrew where converting these aircraft, in the searing heat of the Sahara desert you would be sitting at the back of the hangar whining, "why can't these be left as they left the factory"

Shortly before you we're told to "wind your neck in and fvck off"
Old 23 July 2013, 08:08 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

"Supermarine developed a two-seat variant known as the T Mk VIII to be used for training, but none were ordered, and only one example was ever constructed (identified as N32/G-AIDN by Supermarine).[130] In the absence of an official two-seater variant, a number of airframes were crudely converted in the field. These included a 4 Squadron SAAF Mk VB in North Africa, where a second seat was fitted instead of the upper fuel tank in front of the cockpit, although it was not a dual-control aircraft and is thought to have been used as the squadron "run-about."[131] The only unofficial two-seat conversions that were fitted with dual-controls were a small number of Russian lend/lease Mk IX aircraft. These were referred to as Mk IX UTI and differed from the Supermarine proposals by using an inline "greenhouse" style double canopy rather than the raised "bubble" type of the T Mk VIII."

Presumably, when the aircrew where converting these aircraft, in the searing heat of the Sahara desert you would be sitting at the back of the hangar whining, "why can't these be left as they left the factory"

Shortly before you we're told to "wind your neck in and fvck off"
Rubbish, they were converted after the war for the Irish Airforce, never used by the RAF or in action, get back to your Warlord comics numnuts
Old 23 July 2013, 08:25 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Like I said, you are an idiot
Old 23 July 2013, 08:29 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Like I said, you are an idiot
Listen Podgy, Mitchell never designed the Spitfire as a two seater, and it never rolled out of the factory as a two seater which part of that do you not understand?
Old 23 July 2013, 10:55 PM
Ted Ed
Scooby Regular

R.J. Mitchell died on June 11, 1937, before his masterpiece entered RAF service. He was just 42 years old.
He did not design the Spit as a 2 seater himself
Joe Smith became chief designer in succession to Mitchell, and he presided over the basic concept’s continuous development and improvement. The capability of the basic design, suitably developed, to accommodate ever more powerful engines and carrying ever more armament to greater heights and over increased ranges of the original design

AND ..

A two-seat training version of the Battle of Britain Spitfire was first considered in 1941, but barely a handful of local service conversions were made before 1946. A post-war batch of 20 Mark IX airframes were then converted into two-seat form as the Type 509 model, for supply most notably to the Indian and Irish air forces, while three TR Mk IXs were also acquired by the Royal Dutch Air Force, in whose livery ‘G-ILDA’ is finished today.

Quick Reply: for you plane fans (spitfire)