Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving with your hand hanging out of the window?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2013, 05:20 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving with your hand hanging out of the window?

The warm weather seems to increase this habit exponentially. I am not sure if these clowns think they are a) showing off because they can drive with one hand only or b) it’s some way to cool themselves down.

I don’t spend much time on the motorway but last week drove the M4 & M5 down to Cornwall and back visiting the parents. I could not believe how many people drive along with one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand either a) hanging off the roof or b) hanging limply over the window ledge. It’s like the warm weather brings these moron’s out in droves. Doing 80+ in the middle lane – anything happens ahead then the chances of them being able to react in time and keep control of their vehicle is slim to none. Might be coincidence but the vast majority were driving Range Rovers, X5’s.

And don’t get me started on women passengers (I am pretty sure I have never seen a bloke do this) putting their feet up on the dash. I would not like to see what would happen to said legs in a hefty crash. Wrapped around your head most likely.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:25 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Not that I do it (I have air-con so window closed), but last time I checked it wasn't particularly difficult to brake hard and adjust your course with one hand...what with servo assisted brakes, power steering and most likely ABS, Stability and brakeforce assistance. If you are going to argue you need more steering angle I'll counter that anything more than a 2/3rd turn at 80mph is too dangerous.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:26 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Hot weather in Manchester seems to being out the M3's, M5's, and various AMG's which are thrashed around the city center by 20-something young men, quite often as you say with one arm out of the window. They stamp down hard on the loud pedal for about 5 secs then hard on the brakes. Not cool in the busy city IMHO.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:34 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

often do the arm dangle thing...like the fresh air and it feels good. Can't drive like that when making progress though.

done the feet on the dash too...probably right about the mess it would make in a crash.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:36 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

My air con has just failed so if you see a black wagon with kids gasping for cool air plus driver that will be me driving along hanging out the window!! ! I do agree tho that they can't be in full control if needed hanging out the window 1 armed (might be working on the farmers tan) if needed to brake or change if lanes
Old 15 July 2013, 05:39 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Not that I do it (I have air-con so window closed), but last time I checked it wasn't particularly difficult to brake hard and adjust your course with one hand...what with servo assisted brakes, power steering and most likely ABS, Stability and brakeforce assistance. If you are going to argue you need more steering angle I'll counter that anything more than a 2/3rd turn at 80mph is too dangerous.
I assume it would be hard to find an X5 or Range Rover without an air-con so either they are trying to conserve fuel or topping up the tan on one arm. I hope one of these plebs isn’t anywhere near you when they do need to make such a reaction. You probably think the lady I drove past eating a baguette out of her spare hand was also doing nothing wrong. Why take the risk especially when your family are in the car with you?
Old 15 July 2013, 05:45 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Just to quantify my one armed driving; it's not something I'd like to attempt on a motorway although I have certainly eaten\drunk in that situation.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:47 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

i drive around with my fat head hanging out the window,im either shouting at some old duffer whos in my way doing 20 mph in a 40 zone or checking out some sunshine beautys or gasping for air as ive just let one go
Old 15 July 2013, 05:49 PM
Emmaroids
BANNED

Originally Posted by the shreksta
i drive around with my fat head hanging out the window,im either shouting at some old duffer whos in my way doing 20 mph in a 40 zone or checking out some sunshine beautys or gasping for air as ive just let one go
Old 15 July 2013, 05:55 PM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

What is with some of the new age diesel cars in this weather laying down WW2 style smoke screens? does the hot weather have some sort of smoke increasing affect? I was considering turning on my fog lights when following a BM last weekend and saw the same thing with a newish Mondeo and Audi.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:03 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
Just to quantify my one armed driving; it's not something I'd like to attempt on a motorway although I have certainly eaten\drunk in that situation.
I think we have all reached over to grab a sweet or taken a quick swig of a drink etc. Whilst we should try not to distract ourselves from driving at all (especially when at motorway speeds) I find it hard to compare that to deliberately driving for miles with just 1 hand.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

And don’t get me started on women passengers (I am pretty sure I have never seen a bloke do this) putting their feet up on the dash. I would not like to see what would happen to said legs in a hefty crash. Wrapped around your head most likely.
Not seen Tarantino's Death Proof? (shyte film, but worth watching just for the car chase/crash )

[quote=saxo boy]If you are going to argue you need more steering angle I'll counter that anything more than a 2/3rd turn at 80mph is too dangerous. [quote]

I'd argue that even 1/4 at 80mph combined with braking can quite easily throw a car out of control. IMO driving one handed with your hand at 12 o'clock in a typical over-assisted PAS car you are more likely to over-correct in a slide or swerve/avoid situation.

Certainly my mums partner used to drive like that and he also had no "feel" or sense of proportion whe it came to steering. So he'd be constantly twitching the car left to right by turning the wheel too much. I never felt safe with him behind the wheel.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 July 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:13 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
IMO driving one handed with your hand at 12 o'clock
Also not good if you prang it and the air bag goes off.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:23 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

To be fair, my windows are up but I usually rest my right elbow on the door armrest and grip the wheel with my right hand. My left hand usually cups my meat and two veg...for safekeeping. Perfectly easy to keep the car going straight with one hand or to make minor corrections (i.e. to avoid potholes )
Old 15 July 2013, 06:38 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

All the fault of power steering...for those old enough to remember those days you had no choice: two hands or straight on

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I think we have all reached over to grab a sweet or taken a quick swig of a drink etc. Whilst we should try not to distract ourselves from driving at all (especially when at motorway speeds) I find it hard to compare that to deliberately driving for miles with just 1 hand.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:11 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what ?

Trolling ?

I never drive with two hands ..
Old 15 July 2013, 07:25 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's nothing, i saw some bint with her leg crossed up under the steering wheel resting on her other leg doing her toenails! i **** you not. Funnily enough it was also an X5.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:42 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
The warm weather seems to increase this habit exponentially. I am not sure if these clowns think they are a) showing off because they can drive with one hand only or b) it’s some way to cool themselves down.

I don’t spend much time on the motorway but last week drove the M4 & M5 down to Cornwall and back visiting the parents. I could not believe how many people drive along with one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand either a) hanging off the roof or b) hanging limply over the window ledge. It’s like the warm weather brings these moron’s out in droves. Doing 80+ in the middle lane – anything happens ahead then the chances of them being able to react in time and keep control of their vehicle is slim to none. Might be coincidence but the vast majority were driving Range Rovers, X5’s.

It's not exactly hard to drive one handed. I've generally done it since I was 17. Even when hooning around in the Twisties, I still tend to drive one handed. My left hand is used for changing gear.

When not changing gear, my left hand is generally used for either, picking my nose, scratch my gonads, lifting a tasty beverage up to my mouth, or for playing with my lasses minge whilst she has her legs perched ontop of the dashboard.
Old 15 July 2013, 08:00 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think some do it in hot weather is for the same reason a dog sticks its tongue out...
Old 15 July 2013, 08:06 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
It's not exactly hard to drive one handed. I've generally done it since I was 17. Even when hooning around in the Twisties, I still tend to drive one handed. My left hand is used for changing gear.

When not changing gear, my left hand is generally used for either, picking my nose, scratch my gonads, lifting a tasty beverage up to my mouth, or for playing with my lasses minge whilst she has her legs perched ontop of the dashboard.

Now that is multi tasking at the best LOL
Old 15 July 2013, 08:08 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
I think some do it in hot weather is for the same reason a dog sticks its tongue out...
works for me
Old 15 July 2013, 08:10 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Now that is just f-ckin priceless.
Old 15 July 2013, 08:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

LOL... I like your style
Old 15 July 2013, 08:26 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
LOL... I like your style

I'd be fooked off though if i were your mrs,and you picked your nose before playing with my minge...
Old 15 July 2013, 09:46 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drive everyday with my arm hanging out of the window (weather permitting) and doing 500 miles a week - I'm yet to have any trouble behind the wheel! Surely changing gear must be dangerous - make all cars Auto
Old 15 July 2013, 09:56 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK

I'd be fooked off though if i were your mrs,and you picked your nose before playing with my minge...
Er.... is this what they call grooming?
Old 15 July 2013, 10:09 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

I never drive with both hands on the wheel. Like many have said its either on the gear stick or on the arm rest.
Old 15 July 2013, 10:26 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I saw a guy on the M40 today with his hand out of the window rolling a bogey, desparately trying to let it go.. Looked to be a bit sticky!

Nick
Old 15 July 2013, 10:44 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

In Australia its a $700 fine for the driver and half price for passengers
The boy got caught and was let off with a Aussie bollocking by the copper
For not knowing
He was a govt employee
He said g'day I'm just a silly pom
Old 16 July 2013, 07:40 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Would it be sick to have first sniff of your car when you sell it

Also are you sure they are not all doing the w&nker sign at you?

Quick Reply: Driving with your hand hanging out of the window?