Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

eBay buyer claiming my item is fake!

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2013, 03:06 AM
Subadann
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay buyer claiming my item is fake!

I recently sold a Ralph Lauren hoodie on eBay which I bought from House of Fraser in London.
I have a feedback score of 200, and 100% positive.
I've sold more than 120 items with no issues whatsoever.

I sold this top for £40 which retails for £80, it was in mint condition and I know it's 100% genuine since I bought it brand new from House of Fraser.

The buyer just opened a dispute case with me on eBay claiming that "this is not genuine Ralph Lauren UK" and that he wants a partial refund of £20.

The back story:
Before he bought the top, he sent me a message and asked if he can buy it now and "pay for it next Wednesday", but my listing required immediate payment. I didn't reply to this message, and he bought it anyway.

He sent me a message asking for it to be sent the next day, and sent me another message the next day reminding me to send the top.
I always send my items the next day, so found his messages a bit pushy.

Anyhows, I kept my side of the deal, but now he is claiming my top is fake.

I've replied to him that it is genuine, and bought from a store, and if he's still unhappy, then to return it to me and I'll give him a full refund, but cannot give a partial refund for an item that is worth more than what he wants to pay.

What action/options do I have now?
In all the years I've been selling on eBay (and I've sold ALOT of high value items, iPhones, iPads, LV wallets, TAG watches etc) and I've never had any problems until today.

What makes me angry is I know the top is real and that this guy is trying to take me for a ride, all for the sake of £20! I mean come on, what is wrong with some people out there!

I'm now worried that he may send another top back to me (mostly likely fake) and I'm not sure what to do in this case.

Last edited by Subadann; 15 July 2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:14 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Stick to your guns and ride it out. It's a shame people like this exist.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:09 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I bought a fake Fred Perry polo shirt in the middle east years ago for about £2 and I swear it was as good as the real deal, lasted years.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:23 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Tell him to send it back and you'll give him a full refund upon receipt.

Nik
Old 15 July 2013, 07:27 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

ebay is garbage these days and there isnt enough support for the people who sell on there (even tho thats where ebay make their money)

at least its only a small amount,i know there is the principal of it but it could be alot worse

**** ebay
Old 15 July 2013, 07:49 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Chancer, Fvckem

A truism in business is that the pushy arseholes, pre the actual sale/deal, are always the worst payers
Old 15 July 2013, 08:01 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does work both ways though. I bought a 'genuine' item that turned out to be a fake. I've returned it to the seller and I don't think that he will refund my postage. So it's cost me time and money sorting out his fake gear.

Do feel for the OP though, there are some real wan*ers out there.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:16 AM
Subadann
Scooby Regular

I've never had any problems selling on eBay before to be honest, until now.
But doesn't look good, as I've read online that eBay and PayPal tend to side with the buyer.

Yes, what really wound me up was that he accused me of selling a fake, yet didn't ask for a full refund, but rather a partial refund.

and no, he didn't give any reasons as to why he believed it to be fake (I guess there aren't any since it's genuine lol).

Definitely a chancer, but I'll just await his reply.

What is the best way of contacting eBay so I could explain the situation?
Old 15 July 2013, 09:16 AM
Subadann
Scooby Regular

I've never had any problems selling on eBay before to be honest, until now.
But doesn't look good, as I've read online that eBay and PayPal tend to side with the buyer.

Yes, what really wound me up was that he accused me of selling a fake, yet didn't ask for a full refund, but rather a partial refund.

and no, he didn't give any reasons as to why he believed it to be fake (I guess there aren't any since it's genuine lol).

Definitely a chancer, but I'll just await his reply.

What is the best way of contacting eBay so I could explain the situation?
Old 15 July 2013, 09:19 AM
Subadann
Scooby Regular

That's weird. I posted my reply at 9:52am but it's jumped to post no.8 and says 09:16 lol
Old 15 July 2013, 09:25 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Tell him if he thinks its fake he should take it to the police , rather than still buy it at a cheaper price !

I'd be wary incase he has a fake already and is passing it off as yours , tell him you have the receipt or bought it from their online shop and see if it scares him off.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:25 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I'm sick of ebay.
"sold" a car on it. To££er came out to see it, berated it, then said he'd give me less than the original bid, then retracted it. I told him to foxtrot oscar.
The thing that has annoyed me is that i cant really report him & i'll only get back a final listing credit.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:29 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

You must have a picture to compare the returned item too (if it gets returned). If he does return it, make sure he gets proof of postage or he can turn round and say that he posted it but its still hanging in hos wardrobe

There are some sh1te out there that will rob you of a £1 if they can get away with it

I would also contact Ebay explaining what's what before he goes and tries to claim the whole lot back.

You should be able to buy 100% legitimate items from shops, but nowadays even shops can be fooled. Has the buyer said why they think its a fake?
Old 15 July 2013, 10:53 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have found the more hassle you get from the buyer before they even receive the item the more likely the are to try and pull a fast one.
Old 15 July 2013, 01:39 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
It does work both ways though. I bought a 'genuine' item that turned out to be a fake. I've returned it to the seller and I don't think that he will refund my postage. So it's cost me time and money sorting out his fake gear.

Do feel for the OP though, there are some real wan*ers out there.
As I thought, my seller refunded me for the 'damaged' item!!! However not for my cost to return the crap to him.

OP, get him to return it for a refund. Tell him that you have the original receipt and that you have photographs of the item before it was sent out.
Old 15 July 2013, 01:42 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

be careful, dont tell lies regarding pictures and receipts as if a dispute is opened and you have messaged the seller saying these things ebay may ask for them as evidence.

let him return the item for a refund... only way to resolve it id say, he is after £20 so he wont want to return at his cost and if he does neither of you lose really as you have the item back
Old 15 July 2013, 02:22 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phone PayPal up and speak to them direct, Tell them he has to return it for a full refund and you do not do partial refunds, he will have to return it via registered post with a tracking number, If he doesn't they will find in your favour.
Old 15 July 2013, 02:28 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Phone PayPal up and speak to them direct, Tell them he has to return it for a full refund and you do not do partial refunds, he will have to return it via registered post with a tracking number, If he doesn't they will find in your favour.
but what if he sends a fake, or an empty box ?
Old 15 July 2013, 02:43 PM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
ebay is garbage these days and there isnt enough support for the people who sell on there (even tho thats where ebay make their money)

at least its only a small amount,i know there is the principal of it but it could be alot worse

**** ebay
Agree with this, as a seller on eBay you are absolutely nailed / screwed to the floor with little or no support in cases such as this, you can't even leave negative feedback to the buyer and people like the guy you are dealing with now seem to be on the rise.

I recently sold a perfectly working item which subsequently broke at the buyers end, I had returns not accepted (it must have broken either in his possession or in transit but was packed adequately based on the postage offered and clearly accepted by the buyer) - he raised a case I said no returns but eBay over ruled and I had to give a refund. All in all I ended up with a broken item that worked perfectly before I sent it, the hassle of an "eBay case", negative feedback and out of pocket. Its hardly worth the hassle. Stick to car boot sales.
Old 15 July 2013, 03:20 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

As a seller on Ebay you have to tread very carefully with customers, they can leave you negative feedback in a heartbeat but you can't do the same to buyers.

Offer a full refund on return (at his cost and demand it is sent recorded delivery), proof of postage will only cover £20 I believe?

If it's fake when it comes back then you need to state this if/when a case is opened.
Old 17 July 2013, 11:09 AM
Subadann
Scooby Regular

It's been 2 days now since I replied to the buyer stating that he can return the hoodie to me for a full refund, but I can't give him £20 off.

I've not heard from him since, but my funds are still being held.

Can anyone tell me what the next stage is, because I read that if the case is not closed by the buyer within 8 days, then eBay will escalate the case and get involved?
Old 17 July 2013, 11:10 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Subadann
It's been 2 days now since I replied to the buyer stating that he can return the hoodie to me for a full refund, but I can't give him £20 off.

I've not heard from him since, but my funds are still being held.

Can anyone tell me what the next stage is, because I read that if the case is not closed by the buyer within 8 days, then eBay will escalate the case and get involved?

is there not a help line you can ring for ebay?
Old 17 July 2013, 01:32 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Did you send him the message direct or did you respond to the dispute page?
Old 17 July 2013, 01:34 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
but what if he sends a fake, or an empty box ?
The OP will know if its the one he sent or not, The registered parcel will have the weight on it
Old 18 July 2013, 02:52 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

eBay is a joke the now. I would quite happily sell the odd thing i didn't want anymore, just to raise some funds. But more and more people are "chancing it" with - "the item didn't arrive", "the item is not in the condition advertised, i want some money back".

eBay protects the buyer up to the neck. It's annoying. Hope you get your item back OK and no grief.
Old 18 July 2013, 10:32 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Ebay can check messages sent and received but make sure you respond to any communications in the resolution centre. If the buyer doesn't reply from there then ebay will close the case in your favour.
Old 22 July 2013, 02:36 PM
Subadann
Scooby Regular

Just received a message from eBay. Buyer never got back to me, but instead asked customer support to review the case and make a final decision.

So I'm guessing eBay will side with the buyer here then and I don't have a leg to stand on?
This is so frustrating!
Old 22 July 2013, 02:49 PM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

Welcome to eBay 2013 - as have previously said seller support is next to zero.

I try to avoid using eBay myself but recently had a clear out of my house and used it for this, once again I found it more trouble / hassle / time pit than it should be.
Old 22 July 2013, 08:07 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

If you have offered him a full refund on return of goods through the resolution centre,the Ebay will favour with you for that action to happen.
Old 22 July 2013, 09:14 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Offer to refund and collect the goods in person.

Nik

Quick Reply: eBay buyer claiming my item is fake!