ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   eBay buyer claiming my item is fake! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/980198-ebay-buyer-claiming-my-item-is-fake.html)

Subadann 15 July 2013 03:06 AM

eBay buyer claiming my item is fake!

I recently sold a Ralph Lauren hoodie on eBay which I bought from House of Fraser in London.
I have a feedback score of 200, and 100% positive.
I've sold more than 120 items with no issues whatsoever.

I sold this top for £40 which retails for £80, it was in mint condition and I know it's 100% genuine since I bought it brand new from House of Fraser.

The buyer just opened a dispute case with me on eBay claiming that "this is not genuine Ralph Lauren UK" and that he wants a partial refund of £20.

The back story:
Before he bought the top, he sent me a message and asked if he can buy it now and "pay for it next Wednesday", but my listing required immediate payment. I didn't reply to this message, and he bought it anyway.

He sent me a message asking for it to be sent the next day, and sent me another message the next day reminding me to send the top.
I always send my items the next day, so found his messages a bit pushy.

Anyhows, I kept my side of the deal, but now he is claiming my top is fake.

I've replied to him that it is genuine, and bought from a store, and if he's still unhappy, then to return it to me and I'll give him a full refund, but cannot give a partial refund for an item that is worth more than what he wants to pay.

What action/options do I have now?
In all the years I've been selling on eBay (and I've sold ALOT of high value items, iPhones, iPads, LV wallets, TAG watches etc) and I've never had any problems until today.

What makes me angry is I know the top is real and that this guy is trying to take me for a ride, all for the sake of £20! I mean come on, what is wrong with some people out there!

I'm now worried that he may send another top back to me (mostly likely fake) and I'm not sure what to do in this case.

paulr 15 July 2013 05:14 AM

Stick to your guns and ride it out. It's a shame people like this exist.

tony de wonderful 15 July 2013 06:09 AM

I bought a fake Fred Perry polo shirt in the middle east years ago for about £2 and I swear it was as good as the real deal, lasted years.

nik52wrx 15 July 2013 07:23 AM

Tell him to send it back and you'll give him a full refund upon receipt.

Nik

the shreksta 15 July 2013 07:27 AM

ebay is garbage these days and there isnt enough support for the people who sell on there (even tho thats where ebay make their money)

at least its only a small amount,i know there is the principal of it but it could be alot worse

**** ebay

hodgy0_2 15 July 2013 07:49 AM

Chancer, Fvckem

A truism in business is that the pushy arseholes, pre the actual sale/deal, are always the worst payers

gpssti4 15 July 2013 08:01 AM

It does work both ways though. I bought a 'genuine' item that turned out to be a fake. I've returned it to the seller and I don't think that he will refund my postage. So it's cost me time and money sorting out his fake gear.

Do feel for the OP though, there are some real wan*ers out there.

Subadann 15 July 2013 09:16 AM

I've never had any problems selling on eBay before to be honest, until now.
But doesn't look good, as I've read online that eBay and PayPal tend to side with the buyer.

Yes, what really wound me up was that he accused me of selling a fake, yet didn't ask for a full refund, but rather a partial refund.

and no, he didn't give any reasons as to why he believed it to be fake (I guess there aren't any since it's genuine lol).

Definitely a chancer, but I'll just await his reply.

What is the best way of contacting eBay so I could explain the situation?

Subadann 15 July 2013 09:16 AM

I've never had any problems selling on eBay before to be honest, until now.
But doesn't look good, as I've read online that eBay and PayPal tend to side with the buyer.

Yes, what really wound me up was that he accused me of selling a fake, yet didn't ask for a full refund, but rather a partial refund.

and no, he didn't give any reasons as to why he believed it to be fake (I guess there aren't any since it's genuine lol).

Definitely a chancer, but I'll just await his reply.

What is the best way of contacting eBay so I could explain the situation?

Subadann 15 July 2013 09:19 AM

That's weird. I posted my reply at 9:52am but it's jumped to post no.8 and says 09:16 lol

CharlySkunkWeed 15 July 2013 09:25 AM

Tell him if he thinks its fake he should take it to the police , rather than still buy it at a cheaper price !

I'd be wary incase he has a fake already and is passing it off as yours , tell him you have the receipt or bought it from their online shop and see if it scares him off.

sti-04!! 15 July 2013 09:25 AM

I'm sick of ebay.
"sold" a car on it. To££er came out to see it, berated it, then said he'd give me less than the original bid, then retracted it. I told him to foxtrot oscar.
The thing that has annoyed me is that i cant really report him & i'll only get back a final listing credit.
:mad:

EOEUMC 15 July 2013 09:29 AM

You must have a picture to compare the returned item too (if it gets returned). If he does return it, make sure he gets proof of postage or he can turn round and say that he posted it but its still hanging in hos wardrobe :(

There are some sh1te out there that will rob you of a £1 if they can get away with it :mad:

I would also contact Ebay explaining what's what before he goes and tries to claim the whole lot back.

You should be able to buy 100% legitimate items from shops, but nowadays even shops can be fooled. Has the buyer said why they think its a fake?

EddScott 15 July 2013 10:53 AM

I have found the more hassle you get from the buyer before they even receive the item the more likely the are to try and pull a fast one.

gpssti4 15 July 2013 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by gpssti4 (Post 11149641)
It does work both ways though. I bought a 'genuine' item that turned out to be a fake. I've returned it to the seller and I don't think that he will refund my postage. So it's cost me time and money sorting out his fake gear.

Do feel for the OP though, there are some real wan*ers out there.

As I thought, my seller refunded me for the 'damaged' item!!! However not for my cost to return the crap to him.

OP, get him to return it for a refund. Tell him that you have the original receipt and that you have photographs of the item before it was sent out.

tubbytommy 15 July 2013 01:42 PM

be careful, dont tell lies regarding pictures and receipts as if a dispute is opened and you have messaged the seller saying these things ebay may ask for them as evidence.

let him return the item for a refund... only way to resolve it id say, he is after £20 so he wont want to return at his cost and if he does neither of you lose really as you have the item back

The Pink Ninja 15 July 2013 02:22 PM

Phone PayPal up and speak to them direct, Tell them he has to return it for a full refund and you do not do partial refunds, he will have to return it via registered post with a tracking number, If he doesn't they will find in your favour.

pimmo2000 15 July 2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by GAZ2293 (Post 11149903)
Phone PayPal up and speak to them direct, Tell them he has to return it for a full refund and you do not do partial refunds, he will have to return it via registered post with a tracking number, If he doesn't they will find in your favour.

but what if he sends a fake, or an empty box ?

JDM_333 15 July 2013 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11149635)
ebay is garbage these days and there isnt enough support for the people who sell on there (even tho thats where ebay make their money)

at least its only a small amount,i know there is the principal of it but it could be alot worse

**** ebay

Agree with this, as a seller on eBay you are absolutely nailed / screwed to the floor with little or no support in cases such as this, you can't even leave negative feedback to the buyer and people like the guy you are dealing with now seem to be on the rise.

I recently sold a perfectly working item which subsequently broke at the buyers end, I had returns not accepted (it must have broken either in his possession or in transit but was packed adequately based on the postage offered and clearly accepted by the buyer) - he raised a case I said no returns but eBay over ruled and I had to give a refund. All in all I ended up with a broken item that worked perfectly before I sent it, the hassle of an "eBay case", negative feedback and out of pocket. Its hardly worth the hassle. Stick to car boot sales.

Boro 15 July 2013 03:20 PM

As a seller on Ebay you have to tread very carefully with customers, they can leave you negative feedback in a heartbeat but you can't do the same to buyers.

Offer a full refund on return (at his cost and demand it is sent recorded delivery), proof of postage will only cover £20 I believe?

If it's fake when it comes back then you need to state this if/when a case is opened.

Subadann 17 July 2013 11:09 AM

It's been 2 days now since I replied to the buyer stating that he can return the hoodie to me for a full refund, but I can't give him £20 off.

I've not heard from him since, but my funds are still being held.

Can anyone tell me what the next stage is, because I read that if the case is not closed by the buyer within 8 days, then eBay will escalate the case and get involved?

the shreksta 17 July 2013 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Subadann (Post 11151745)
It's been 2 days now since I replied to the buyer stating that he can return the hoodie to me for a full refund, but I can't give him £20 off.

I've not heard from him since, but my funds are still being held.

Can anyone tell me what the next stage is, because I read that if the case is not closed by the buyer within 8 days, then eBay will escalate the case and get involved?

is there not a help line you can ring for ebay?

The Pink Ninja 17 July 2013 01:32 PM

Did you send him the message direct or did you respond to the dispute page?

The Pink Ninja 17 July 2013 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11149913)
but what if he sends a fake, or an empty box ?

The OP will know if its the one he sent or not, The registered parcel will have the weight on it :thumb:

GazTheHat 18 July 2013 02:52 AM

eBay is a joke the now. I would quite happily sell the odd thing i didn't want anymore, just to raise some funds. But more and more people are "chancing it" with - "the item didn't arrive", "the item is not in the condition advertised, i want some money back".

eBay protects the buyer up to the neck. It's annoying. Hope you get your item back OK and no grief.

Boro 18 July 2013 10:32 AM

Ebay can check messages sent and received but make sure you respond to any communications in the resolution centre. If the buyer doesn't reply from there then ebay will close the case in your favour.

Subadann 22 July 2013 02:36 PM

Just received a message from eBay. Buyer never got back to me, but instead asked customer support to review the case and make a final decision.

So I'm guessing eBay will side with the buyer here then and I don't have a leg to stand on?
This is so frustrating!

JDM_333 22 July 2013 02:49 PM

Welcome to eBay 2013 - as have previously said seller support is next to zero.

I try to avoid using eBay myself but recently had a clear out of my house and used it for this, once again I found it more trouble / hassle / time pit than it should be.

fatscoobfella1 22 July 2013 08:07 PM

If you have offered him a full refund on return of goods through the resolution centre,the Ebay will favour with you for that action to happen.

nik52wrx 22 July 2013 09:14 PM

Offer to refund and collect the goods in person.

Nik