Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Being reported to the police

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2013, 03:20 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Being reported to the police

As above after I stopped to discuss a young lads driving standards on the way to my local ttetescos. I was very civil, didnt swear or get shouty. Called me all sorts. Was walking away once I realized it was going nowhere, he rolled down his window and called me fookin dikhed. Knocked on his window and asked him to pop out and tell me that to my face. Obviously he chose not to. Anyhow, did the shopping and came bsck to find a note on my car saying hes reported me to the local constabulary. Being a law abiding citizen it's never happened to me before, what happens next?
Old 13 July 2013, 03:28 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Old 13 July 2013, 03:39 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing will happen, maybe a talking to.

Bear in mind you can have your shop smashed up and house robbed and the police will do nothing unless someone is hurt.
Old 13 July 2013, 03:45 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Chances are his driving standards are already known about by the police, so it's unlikely they'd take his side if he had in fact reported it, which I doubt. And from what I've read, there doesn't appear to have been any sort of offence committed by you in any case.
Old 13 July 2013, 04:07 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

He is claiming I punched his car window. Knocked on, but certainly no fullon punch. Plus no damage done. Amazed he's bothering to report me.
Old 13 July 2013, 04:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

He might not even have reported it, all you have is a note from him.
Old 13 July 2013, 04:16 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

How will he prove it? If there's any CCTV at the shop, that will perhaps show what happened, but I still doubt it will come to anything. He was being an idiot and didn't like being told not to by a grown up.
Old 13 July 2013, 04:18 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Incidentally, why not ring the local police and report being threatened by him, if you have his number. That way if he is bluffing, he'll get a visit from them and doubtless s*it himself.
Old 13 July 2013, 04:28 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
Incidentally, why not ring the local police and report being threatened by him, if you have his number. That way if he is bluffing, he'll get a visit from them and doubtless s*it himself.
I did consider this but couldn't see the point. If I do get a visit from a plod then I will explain myself at that point. We will wait and see.
Old 13 July 2013, 04:39 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds to me like you were being a public spirited citizen and had a chat to him about his driving in the interest of public safety.

At which point he became abusive and threatening so you defused the situation and walked away at which point he hurled further abuse at you, which you did not quite get the gist of and asked if he would like to get out of his car and repeat it so you could hear exactly what he was saying, an offer which he declined, so you continued about your business, and upon returning to your vehicle discovered he left you a note.

I'd check the car for damage if I were you, maybe he scratched it.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 13 July 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 13 July 2013, 05:45 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd call the 101 (is it ?) none emergency number and report him. Better to cover yourself. Just be honest, they wont care but will record it.
Old 13 July 2013, 07:14 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

oh you are going down surely...I mean they don't prosecute thieves so they will need an easy target and your it.

joking aside if they have reported you they probably wouldn't come out as no one has been hurt and no offence caused really, on private property so unless the supermarket want to push it it'll probably just get filed.
Old 15 July 2013, 10:57 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

depends what he has reported, he will have had to 'flower it up' a degree to give the police any cause for concern - otherwise its just a disagreement between two adults with no offences.

I would do as the others have suggested, phone it in and report it. Mention that you believe the other party has potentially contacted the police first and you are reporting it so it is logged and that you don't want to take any action against the other person. The police will record the incident on the system and your back will be covered - simples
Old 15 July 2013, 01:01 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.
depends what he has reported, he will have had to 'flower it up' a degree to give the police any cause for concern - otherwise its just a disagreement between two adults with no offences.

I would do as the others have suggested, phone it in and report it. Mention that you believe the other party has potentially contacted the police first and you are reporting it so it is logged and that you don't want to take any action against the other person. The police will record the incident on the system and your back will be covered - simples
Follow this advice
Old 15 July 2013, 01:59 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Exact happened to me other month. With a cyclist. Was shouting in at me all hard when I pulled over and jumped out he **** himself and said we take this to the station I work there. To which I replied I couldn't give a f#*k where you work what do you want a medal??!! That saved him from a hiding tbh. Later that night the noddy van was round the house. Started on about all these public order offences but said its his word against yours so just calm it down. Ha I laughed at them when they come to the house that didn't go down well neither did it when I said yes you can come in if you take your shoes off haha. No time for the police at all!!!!
Old 15 July 2013, 02:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I doubt the police will even give it a second look. If they did ask why you are supposed to have punched his window, ask them them if he has shown them a dent in the glass!

Les
Old 15 July 2013, 02:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp
Exact happened to me other month. With a cyclist. Was shouting in at me all hard when I pulled over and jumped out he **** himself and said we take this to the station I work there. To which I replied I couldn't give a f#*k where you work what do you want a medal??!! That saved him from a hiding tbh. Later that night the noddy van was round the house. Started on about all these public order offences but said its his word against yours so just calm it down. Ha I laughed at them when they come to the house that didn't go down well neither did it when I said yes you can come in if you take your shoes off haha. No time for the police at all!!!!

So you cut him off, near killing him, he shouted and you slammed on, jumped out and threatened him ?
Old 15 July 2013, 03:28 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Ha I laughed at them when they come to the house that didn't go down well neither did it when I said yes you can come in if you take your shoes off haha. No time for the police at all!!!!
You find strange things amusing

I'm guessing they just talked to you on your doorstep then
Old 15 July 2013, 04:56 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sprigeteer
I did consider this but couldn't see the point. If I do get a visit from a plod then I will explain myself at that point. We will wait and see.
Explaining yourself to the police would be a major error. The police are concerned with gathering evidence that can support a potential conviction. Never say anything other than your name, dob and address.

For example,

Plod, "Hello sir, we're hear to talk to you about a road traffic incident today"

You, "Oh yes, I've been sort of expecting this."

Plod, "We've got two witnesses (lie) that said that you punched a gentleman's window"

You, "Nah, it was nothing like that, I just knocked on it and..."

Congratulations, you've just convicted yourself as you have admitted the following:

1. You were at the scene
2. You were the other party involved
3. To some degree you struck the other persons window
4. You felt it was severe enough that you expected police involvement

Save all explanation for Court - not that it will ever get there if you shut your mouth and say nothing to the police.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:34 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Explaining yourself to the police would be a major error. The police are concerned with gathering evidence that can support a potential conviction. Never say anything other than your name, dob and address.

For example,

Plod, "Hello sir, we're hear to talk to you about a road traffic incident today"

Plod, "We've got two witnesses (lie) that said that you punched a gentleman's window"

Congratulations, you've just convicted yourself as you have admitted the following:

1. You were at the scene

Save all explanation for Court - not that it will ever get there if you shut your mouth and say nothing to the police.
Spot on, don't tell anyone an answer to a question you aren't being asked.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:55 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
So you cut him off, near killing him, he shouted and you slammed on, jumped out and threatened him ?
Was doing 5 mph over a speed bump nowhere near him. Just annoyed me he was giving it the biggin through the window and his bottom dropped when I got out the car. I had many a dealing with police on a professional level when I worked the door of a night club in town. Don't have any respect for them after that.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:58 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

You find strange things amusing

I'm guessing they just talked to you on your doorstep then
I find it funny that they can come to your house thinking there gona intimidate you and when they realise it does far from that they don't no what to do or say. Like I say had many professional dealings with them when I was on the door and when ever there was trouble they didn't no what to do stood there lost. I have zero respect for the polie in anyway shape or form.
Old 16 July 2013, 10:24 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

I find it funny that they can come to your house thinking there gona intimidate you and when they realise it does far from that they don't no what to do or say. Like I say had many professional dealings with them when I was on the door and when ever there was trouble they didn't no what to do stood there lost. I have zero respect for the polie in anyway shape or form.
Saying that though, I've seen door staff clueless a what they are doing and totally loosing it with people without any need - so swings and roundabouts i suppose.....
Old 16 July 2013, 10:35 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy

For example,

1. You were at the scene

What planet are you on......

points 1-4 are no evidence that an offence has occurred, but since there are witnesses to state that this has developed a little further, then what are you expecting the police to believe is the truth. If you say nothing at all about the incident, then we can only go on what the other party is saying.

I suspect that the police are wanting the other side of the story and not looking at prosecuting anyone for anything - as i said before there are no offences for arguing or tapping on a window.

If the shoe was on the other foot and some oik shouted abuse at you and banged on your window, if you wanted police involvement what would you expect from them
Old 16 July 2013, 10:48 AM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Saying that though, I've seen door staff clueless a what they are doing and totally loosing it with people without any need - so swings and roundabouts i suppose.....
I have worked with many (doormen) who are clueless so fair point there . I had to work the inside one night with over 1800 people in and they sent me one lad who was about 9st and couldn't put the Cat out.
Old 16 July 2013, 10:58 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

What planet are you on......

points 1-4 are no evidence that an offence has occurred, but since there are witnesses to state that this has developed a little further, then what are you expecting the police to believe is the truth. If you say nothing at all about the incident, then we can only go on what the other party is saying.

I suspect that the police are wanting the other side of the story and not looking at prosecuting anyone for anything - as i said before there are no offences for arguing or tapping on a window.

If the shoe was on the other foot and some oik shouted abuse at you and banged on your window, if you wanted police involvement what would you expect from them

I'm on the planet where my wife deals with the police (I presume of which you are one) daily and watches in utter horror at the way they manipulate situations to stitch people up.

Police are not interested in the 'truth'. They are interested in solving crimes to meet their figures and there is no easier way to get a 'tick in the box' than to get a middle class idiot that doesn't know how the system works to start talking under interview.

The only forum for establishing truth is the Courts (...even then!).
Old 16 July 2013, 10:59 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

btw, not calling you an idiot sprigeteer. However, unless you've been in bother before you would be way out of your depth in dealing with the police compared to your average jakeball that knows how the system works.
Old 16 July 2013, 11:01 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

points 1-4 are no evidence that an offence has occurred
No, but they make it so much easier to get to a conviction. If you've said nothing the police have to find evidence that you were a) at the scene, b) involved with the other party c) made some contact with the other guys car.

Talking to the police is like pulling your knickers aside when someone smiles at you....you are giving all the goodies away for free and they can hardly jot it down in their notepads quick enough.
Old 16 July 2013, 11:43 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Was doing 5 mph over a speed bump nowhere near him. Just annoyed me he was giving it the biggin through the window and his bottom dropped when I got out the car. I had many a dealing with police on a professional level when I worked the door of a night club in town. Don't have any respect for them after that.
Begs the question why the cyclist would bother doing what he did. In my experience when that happens the driver in question has nearly wiped out the cyclist.
Old 16 July 2013, 11:47 AM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

This was why I lost my temper. I spotted him went around him and he still went on like he did. And didn't like the response to his hard man antics.