Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangerous dogs at it again.

Something needs doing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk-news/20...-dogs-head-off
Old 08 July 2013, 01:17 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insert generic retort that it's all the owner's fault and nothing at all to do with the predatory instinct of the animal.
Old 08 July 2013, 01:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Both actually:

Its a domesticated wolf. If not controlled, it is dangerous; the person incapable of controlling it is the owner. Ergo; its the owner's fault
Old 08 July 2013, 01:30 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Can't we just ban chavs from keeping dogs.

I think all dogs should be licensed and owners must pass some sort of 'dog' test in order to be able to own a dog.
Old 08 July 2013, 01:33 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Simpler just to ban dogs altogether .... cats are cooler than dogs anyway
Old 08 July 2013, 01:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We were on the front here yesterday some old geezer with headphones on had some young dog on lead, didn't seem paying much to dog when along came someone he knew on a bike - they got chatting and enthusiastic pup drew blood from person on the bike!
Barked the same at passer by

The owners were oblivious to the dangers it seemed, and it was definitely a 'warrior' type dog
Old 08 July 2013, 01:39 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Perhaps dogs should be insured by law, the more 'dangerous' the breed, the higher the premium. Should hopefully, keep such dogs from people who don't necessarily have the means or inclination to train such dogs. Any injuries caused by the dog would see the injured party compensated as well, or just ban certain breeds.

Last edited by jonc; 08 July 2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08 July 2013, 01:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Sounds ideal first step, but definitely should be easier to prosecute
Old 08 July 2013, 01:50 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I went to Western-super-mare at the weekend and there were a lot of dogs loose on the beach with their owners etc.

Anyway, I walked down a path and witnessed a large type dog run up to a middle-aged couple walking their small dog on a lead and the lady was petrified of this big dog, because it went right up to them and started barking at her dog. I guess she thought the big dog was going to attack?

5 seconds later, a young chav-type character ran up to them and told them that his dog wasn't going to attack and when he tried calling her back, she wouldn't even listen to him. He then resulted to pulling her back by the collar. The next time the dog could attack, and he would have no control over his animal.

Last edited by LSherratt; 08 July 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08 July 2013, 01:56 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

I like the idea of dog insurance, though given the demographic usually involved, and the uptake of car insurance in this demographic, I'm inclined to think they'd just ignore it.
Old 08 July 2013, 02:01 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Its a bit of a 50 / 50 call, the people that generally want SBT's (for their image) are generally those that should not have them, and have no idea on controlling them, training them or how to look after them.
Maybe if the owners where put down as well as the dog (after an incident) then there would be less problems ?

Richard
Old 08 July 2013, 02:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richs2891
Its a bit of a 50 / 50 call, the people that generally want SBT's (for their image) are generally those that should not have them, and have no idea on controlling them, training them or how to look after them.
Maybe if the owners where put down as well as the dog (after an incident) then there would be less problems ?

Richard
Maybe just hobbled, while they're tried anyway
Old 08 July 2013, 02:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is important to maintain the fact that a dog owner is fully responsible for the behaviour of the animal.

Les
Old 08 July 2013, 02:09 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is important to maintain the fact that a dog owner is fully responsible for the behaviour of the animal.
In what way is that fact?

When you say responsible, are you talking accountability (in which case I agree) or, that owners are directly the reason for 100% of a dog's behaviour?

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 08 July 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08 July 2013, 02:09 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

It should be made law that the dog is muzzled in public if not then the warden can take it away.

If dog attacks anything for no apparent reason then dog should be removed from owner and owner fined heavily. If they cannot afford the fine then prison.

Seriously - what is it with poor people and staffs and pitbulls? I've never seen a well off or a normal working fella with a staff only neanderthal types.

Furthermore what sort of person decides 'i fancy a pitbull'. They are the most hideous looking creatures ever. I could never love one.
Old 08 July 2013, 03:55 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
In what way is that fact?

When you say responsible, are you talking accountability (in which case I agree) or, that owners are directly the reason for 100% of a dog's behaviour?
Both, the owner should be aware of the dogs behaviour and act accordingly.
Old 08 July 2013, 04:02 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Both, the owner should be aware of the dogs behaviour and act accordingly.
So there are no dogs with good owners, that have behavioural problems? Or don't have at least 1% of free will?
Old 08 July 2013, 04:05 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I like the idea of dog insurance, though given the demographic usually involved, and the uptake of car insurance in this demographic, I'm inclined to think they'd just ignore it.
Good as then we can give them an option.... get insurance or we shoot the dog or better still the dog and the owner
Old 08 July 2013, 04:07 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

So there are no dogs with good owners, that have behavioural problems? Or don't have at least 1% of free will?
No, if your dog is a potential risk, or you are unsure, you don't give them the chance.

The only risk a dog with behavioral problem should have, is to it's owner, as they choose to keep it.
Old 08 July 2013, 04:10 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Well in many cases you can't be sure of the risk until proven othewise, i.e. it has attacked.
Old 08 July 2013, 04:11 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Its why my dogs are behind 6 foot gate. Not to stop them getting out - but to to stop any other dogs getting in.
Old 08 July 2013, 04:14 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Well in many cases you can't be sure of the risk until proven othewise, i.e. it has attacked.

True, so don't give it the chance. I've had my GSD for 5+ years, soft as anything. Spends time with my cat and my kids, no aggression at all.

Walking in the park, I see another dog, she's on the lead before she gets the chance. I hold her away from strangers until she's calm and meets them in a controlled way.

If she bites someone, it'll be me, as she doesn't get the chance to bite anyone else. I believe a dog can be a ****, like some people but the responsibility of the dogs actions, are the owners.
Old 08 July 2013, 04:45 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Insert generic retort that it's all the owner's fault and nothing at all to do with the predatory instinct of the animal.
Did the owner muzzle the dog. Doesn't look like it. Owners fault.
Old 08 July 2013, 04:50 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Did the owner muzzle the dog. Doesn't look like it. Owners fault.
If a dog is so aggressive that it's necessary to be muzzled in order to take it outside, it really shouldn't be in a public space as it's clearly not under control.
Old 08 July 2013, 04:58 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'd happily pay for a dog license. Might put some off buying the scarier varieties of mutt.
Old 08 July 2013, 05:34 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

I like the idea of a licence or insurance, but as already stated, the morons who are the idiotic owners with potentially dangerous dogs arent going to really care enough to get either.
Also like the idea of having the owner put down, it would be doing society a favour so it's win-win!!

It's pathetic, most of the morons that get bull terrier type dogs do so for the 'hard' imagine, but I suspect most people would just look and think 'scummy chav'. Defeats the point really.
It's a shame for the dogs too, because in the right hands and with someone who had more than half a brain cell, they can be lovely dogs.
Old 08 July 2013, 07:17 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Licenses could be an idea.

The again, I'm sure once upon a time someone said "hey, there are loads of idiots out there who are completely irresponsible when behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. We should license these yobs to curb the danger"......and that is why everyone who now drives and has a license to do so on the road is so damned aware, responsible and never does anything wrong in a car
Old 08 July 2013, 07:33 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Do not click the link if you are a dog lover like me and get very upset> bustaMOVEs sorted

You lot will not like this

btw the dog did nothing wrong

Last edited by Jamie; 08 July 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08 July 2013, 07:38 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
True, so don't give it the chance. I've had my GSD for 5+ years, soft as anything. Spends time with my cat and my kids, no aggression at all.

Walking in the park, I see another dog, she's on the lead before she gets the chance. I hold her away from strangers until she's calm and meets them in a controlled way.

If she bites someone, it'll be me, as she doesn't get the chance to bite anyone else. I believe a dog can be a ****, like some people but the responsibility of the dogs actions, are the owners.
Agree totally.
When a dog is out walking although my rotti is well behaved in normal situations but in a different situation like a dog running upto her acting like a very playfully dog then my dog will run around and play but then it's here where you need to watch as a stranger dog can set off a spark and my dog will get angry ish as you see her back hair strike up as this is where I get it and calm her, same with other peoples dogs acting all defensive when they see another bigger dog I've found although my dog dosent even bother with these hyper acting dogs and just carries on walking but I can tell she's well aware, every dog does the family protection thing but it's how the owner deal with it to avoid it escalating.i.e you should know what mood your dogs getting in and use appropriate actions to defuse before you have no power if the dog gets in a state of rage etc.
I'm saddened to say that if my dog did do anything bad then it would have to be put down if I couldn't control it and avoid a situation. I have a 5 mth old daughter too and we still keep them separate and just do certain learning techniques to avoid gealousy, my dog just licks her to death but gets a bit excited and licks too much. But will never trust them alone no matter how good the dog is, saftey precation IMO.
I also get paranoid as the type of dog we have we get a few funny looks but I appreciate the comments when someone has walked by and you can just about hear them say 'aw see how well that dog was etc' and that's off the lead etc

So bottom line is DOG OWNERS ARE RESPONSIBLE!

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 08 July 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08 July 2013, 07:41 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie
You lot will not like this

btw the dog did nothing wrong

Cops Shoot and Kill Dog after Arresting Owner for Videotapping Police - YouTube

ouch, sounds like everyone was a bit of an idiot except the dog in that one. The owner sounds like a d1ck, cops were complete morons and the dog is the one in a pooch sized body-bag Then again I wasn't there

Quick Reply: Dangerous dogs at it again.