Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Proper tools.

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2013, 09:05 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Proper tools.

Well I have to say that doing a job with the correct tools not only looks neater but it's actually quicker!

My fish tank pump needed rewiring soknife and grips to make a messy but successful Job.

Tonight while cutting the bushes I cut through the wire and tripped the trip on the plug. I thought of my options and decided to pull the wire strippers out, solder and then black tape the cut. Literally within 10minuts I was back up and running. - fish tank pump took me at least double this!
Old 06 July 2013, 11:16 AM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a subscriber to the "correct tools for correct jobs" mentality. Always ends up in less grief for me, no knackered parts or tools and a better quality finish.

Plus when someone views your bodged monstrosity, no "I couldn't be bothered to get the tools out" will cut it. You look like a hamfisted buffoon!

Tim.
Old 06 July 2013, 11:41 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Good thread. Last year a mate of mine asked if I would remove his door cards for him on his Honda. He had tried one and got nowhere, but he knows I have aset of trim removal tools. He coulnd't believe the difference they made and in no time between us all 4 were off with no damage.
Old 06 July 2013, 12:01 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I was just going to mention trim removal tools, I bought a set during a Sunday night amazon shopping spree

(i am a bit addicted to tools too)

Don't use them often, but when you do, boy, do they do the job
Old 06 July 2013, 12:37 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I thought from the thread title this was about most of the NSR contributors.
Old 06 July 2013, 12:40 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
I thought from the thread title this was about most of the NSR contributors.
Old 06 July 2013, 01:29 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I long since discovered the old saying "A bad workman blames his tools" is rubbish, "A bad workman uses the wrong tools" Nothing like having the right tool for the job.
Old 06 July 2013, 02:08 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Well I have to say that doing a job with the correct tools not only looks neater but it's actually quicker!

My fish tank pump needed rewiring soknife and grips to make a messy but successful Job.

Tonight while cutting the bushes I cut through the wire and tripped the trip on the plug. I thought of my options and decided to pull the wire strippers out, solder and then black tape the cut. Literally within 10minuts I was back up and running. - fish tank pump took me at least double this!
Am I reading this right , you fixed a cable you cut through with solder and taped it up ? You may have used the right tools but its still a bodge job im afraid.
Old 06 July 2013, 03:33 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bust my back 2 night ago lying under my car trying to get my backbox off the Alfa. Welded solid it was. Couldn't grind it off as the joint was right beside the petrol tank so decided to try and chisel if off but didn't have a chisel....so I used a screwdriver. 2 screwdrivers later and still no joy and gave up.

Went into work, drove the car over one of the truck pits and and got the hold of a chisel, all going okish but taking forever. One of the technicians comes over with a pneumatic chisel and whipped that sucker off in 10second flat!

I have a halfords professional toolkit and just buy bits as I need to go but much prefer using the technicians Snap-on or MAC tools, far far superior in every way and make troublesome jobs effort free compared to the Halfords equivalent.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 06 July 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06 July 2013, 04:02 PM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

This thread is so cool.

I also found my trim removal kit invaluable. I just bought a 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch socket set off eBay. I am slowly building up my tool collection.