Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Middle Lane Hogs Face £100 On-The-Spot Fines

About time too !!

http://news.sky.com/story/1099507/mi...the-spot-fines
Old 05 June 2013, 08:06 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant see it really been enforced but a step in the right direction.

Richard
Old 05 June 2013, 08:11 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Do we trust the police to enforce this properly?
Old 05 June 2013, 08:12 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But who wants to drive an AWD on the inside lane tramlines?
Old 05 June 2013, 08:18 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richs2891
Cant see it really been enforced but a step in the right direction.

Richard
Exactly, the police aren’t going to pull people over on the Motorway to issue a ticket it’s just too dangerous.
Old 05 June 2013, 08:20 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

I certainly wouldn't trust the police to enforce it fairly.
Old 05 June 2013, 09:40 AM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Do we trust the police to enforce this properly?
This, looks like it could become the new revenue raiser, "I'm sorry Sir you overtook the vehicle but stayed in the middle lane for five seconds too long, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you a ticket".
Old 05 June 2013, 09:43 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

It would make far more sense to make passing on either side legal as it is in other countries.
Old 05 June 2013, 10:34 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Just hold on a minute. I was on a motorway recently. Good conditions, light traffic. Few trucks in left hand lane and in centre was spaced out stream of cars/vans all doing around 75-80. A few fast lane boys went past in outside lane at 90+.

So I was in middle, car 50 yds behind not wishing to overtake but I am supposed to tuck into inside lane as we pass every truck and then out again to pass the next one?

dl
Old 05 June 2013, 10:48 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
but I am supposed to tuck into inside lane as we pass every truck and then out again to pass the next one?
Yes.
Old 05 June 2013, 10:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Easy, they take a picture and send you the bill. As usual.

Time to remove our plates and refuse to put them back.
Old 05 June 2013, 11:00 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Yes.
Well that strikes me as silly when the traffic flow is as I described. dl
Old 05 June 2013, 11:02 AM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
It would make far more sense to make passing on either side legal as it is in other countries.
This would be the sensible option although undertaking is permissable in certain circumstances.
Old 05 June 2013, 11:07 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Undertaking is described as deliberately moving from an outside lane to an inside one just to make the pass, This is not to be confused with driving with the flow of traffic where everyone is in the fast lane and constantly braking so you just go past when in lanes 1 or 2, I do a lot in miles in a year and people hogging the middle lane is one of my biggest pet hates.
Old 05 June 2013, 11:07 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 05 June 2013, 11:08 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i think that is probably what most of the middle laners think; it's easier for them to stay where they are...
Old 05 June 2013, 11:11 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

So I was in middle, car 50 yds behind not wishing to overtake but I am supposed to tuck into inside lane as we pass every truck and then out again to pass the next one?

dl
You have now been fined £100
Old 05 June 2013, 11:24 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Easy, they take a picture and send you the bill. As usual.

Time to remove our plates and refuse to put them back.
You do it first and let us know how you get on
Old 05 June 2013, 11:34 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

If as you described there's only a few trucks in the slow lane, why WOULDN'T you pull in after overtaking? Or to ask it another way, when WOULD you pull into the slow lane if not when there's little traffic?
Old 05 June 2013, 11:46 AM
JayM
Scooby Regular

Generally I pull back in if I'm likely to not need to pull back out again in the next minute or 2, that is, if I can see a slow moving lorry up ahead that isn't significantly in the distance, I stay in the middle lane, however if someone is approaching behind, fast I tend to move back over rather than make them move over another lane..

I never sit in the middle lane doing less than 70 though, unless in heavy traffic - unlike some people who are happy to potter along in the middle lane at 55 - 60, also wagon drivers who like to overtake each other when they have a slightly lighter load, or have managed to slipstream enough to build up enough speed to make the overtake...

Seriously pisses me off having a wagon pull out on me so they can make the overtake over a 3 mile stretch, only to pull in a couple of inches ahead of the other wagon!
Old 05 June 2013, 11:56 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

More worrying is they are also proposing to give on the spot fines not giving way at junctions and being in the wrong lane at roundabouts. Will this mean you will now have wait at junctions even if people give you a wave or a flash to let you out? At what point is it classified as not giving way bar actually T boning another car or causing them to brake sharply? The police will no doubt be hanging out at the "magic roundabout" in Hemel Hemstead!!
Old 05 June 2013, 12:02 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'm too busy tailgating on the outside lane, to be worrying about middle lane hoggers.
Old 05 June 2013, 12:11 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

I see it daily….The problem is where does it stop and start...

a large proportion of drivers just follow the car in front...they are happy to keep a safe distance back and travel at the same speed as the car in front...which is fine...but if said car in front is in the middle lane...where do they sit? The middle lane....they don’t want to overtake so won't move to the outside lane...but they can't undertake as that's frowned upon....so what happens is you end up with a queue of cars all doing 65MPH in the middle lane when they could all easily move over to the left and still travel at 65MPH...If a car was to move over to the left...all of a sudden their gap gets closed so then have to speed up and pass on the left or slow down....and they don't want to slow down...their dinner is at home getting cold...so what do you do? Fine everyone? The first car? The last car?

And the same happens in the outside lane...that's the “fast lane” right? So everyone piles into it in a bid to get home faster and ends up doing 50MPH...Whilst I happily sail past in the "Slow Lane" at 70MPH...but they won’t move into the middle lane if it becomes clear to let the car behind go past…because that is seen as defeat…so then that car behind is faced with three choices…stay at the same speed…undertake or drive right up their **** and try and push them out the way…very few pick the first option….

it’s a cultural thing...doesn't make it any less annoying but I just don't see how a few fines here and there will fix it...

The other type middle lane hoggers than annoy me are those that will sit level with your rear quarter matching your speed….if you want to overtake…over take…if you want to drive at the same speed as me, pull in behind me…inevitably I end up speeding up to get away from them…

Just my thoughts on the matter…
Old 05 June 2013, 12:25 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I hope this does happen, it needs to as it pi55es me off when folk have no common sense and think its just easier to stay in one lane (middle/top) all the way home etc, no thought for others just their self.
All it requires is a bit of common sense and use lanes accordingly. Fecking roundabouts too, learn some folk about them too, as people don't indicate to let other drivers know their intensions so the can pull out etc and they don't know who's right of way it is.
Rant over
Old 05 June 2013, 12:28 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh and this thinking I'll use the 'fastlane' thing!
IT'S NOT A FAST LANE, IT'S A OVERTAKING LANE JUST LIKE OTHER LANES, NO DIFFERENT.
Old 05 June 2013, 12:32 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
More worrying is they are also proposing to give on the spot fines not giving way at junctions and being in the wrong lane at roundabouts. Will this mean you will now have wait at junctions even if people give you a wave or a flash to let you out? At what point is it classified as not giving way bar actually T boning another car or causing them to brake sharply? The police will no doubt be hanging out at the "magic roundabout" in Hemel Hemstead!!
I guess it is how you deal with being in the wrong lane...just yesterday I got in the wrong lane on a roundabout...I didn't realise until I was on the roundabout...unfamiliar roads...

if the roundabout was empty I could have made my exit safely...it wasn't so rather than making others pay for my mistake by cutting everyone up and just going for my exit I did the logical thing and went right round the roundabout and tried again...

we all make mistakes any new legislation is to try and stop the idiots that do just carry on regardless cutting everyone up rather than taking appropriate action...

as for the not stopping at junctions, again how many times has someone pulled out on you and forced you to take some sort of evasive action? this is not the same as you choosing to flash somebody out...

its the same for those that slam on the brakes when they realise that their motorway exit is coming up...yes I have missed junctions before...and probably swore to myself and had to go to the next junction and turn round...the one thing I didn't think was oh **** must slam on the brakes and nearly cause a multi car pile up...

the other thing to remember is that these are not new laws...everything mentioned here is already an offense...mostly classified under dangerous or careless driving...the legislation changes are to how offenses are dealt with...on the spot fines rather than a court appearance and a fine...
Old 05 June 2013, 12:35 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cockney Wideboy
I see it daily….The problem is where does it stop and start...

a large proportion of drivers just follow the car in front...they are happy to keep a safe distance back and travel at the same speed as the car in front...which is fine...but if said car in front is in the middle lane...where do they sit? The middle lane....they don’t want to overtake so won't move to the outside lane...but they can't undertake as that's frowned upon....so what happens is you end up with a queue of cars all doing 65MPH in the middle lane when they could all easily move over to the left and still travel at 65MPH...If a car was to move over to the left...all of a sudden their gap gets closed so then have to speed up and pass on the left or slow down....and they don't want to slow down...their dinner is at home getting cold...so what do you do? Fine everyone? The first car? The last car?

And the same happens in the outside lane...that's the “fast lane” right? So everyone piles into it in a bid to get home faster and ends up doing 50MPH...Whilst I happily sail past in the "Slow Lane" at 70MPH...but they won’t move into the middle lane if it becomes clear to let the car behind go past…because that is seen as defeat…so then that car behind is faced with three choices…stay at the same speed…undertake or drive right up their **** and try and push them out the way…very few pick the first option….

it’s a cultural thing...doesn't make it any less annoying but I just don't see how a few fines here and there will fix it...

The other type middle lane hoggers than annoy me are those that will sit level with your rear quarter matching your speed….if you want to overtake…over take…if you want to drive at the same speed as me, pull in behind me…inevitably I end up speeding up to get away from them…

Just my thoughts on the matter…
Absolutely spot on mate especially the bit about someone driving on your rear quarter, I do over a thousand miles a week in my van when I'm in the "slow lane" coming up to a lorry I can't overtake because someone is sat there so have to slow down to then pull in behind them!! Grrr
Old 05 June 2013, 12:38 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Oh and this thinking I'll use the 'fastlane' thing!
IT'S NOT A FAST LANE, IT'S A OVERTAKING LANE JUST LIKE OTHER LANES, NO DIFFERENT.
we know that...but just ask yourself...how many drivers do you know that still call the last FAST, Middle and Slow

As I said the way most drivers behave on our motorways is down to a cultural thing....its how they always done it...

...penalty points and fines don't stop mobile phone users, 12month bans doesn't deter drink drivers...what hope has a £100 fine going to have to reverse the way in which a large portion of the driving public use the motorways of the land?
Old 05 June 2013, 01:18 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by Cockney Wideboy
...penalty points and fines don't stop mobile phone users, 12month bans doesn't deter drink drivers...what hope has a £100 fine going to have to reverse the way in which a large portion of the driving public use the motorways of the land?
Agreed, only the death penalty will do for middle lane hogs, especially those in Rovers or Peugeots!
Old 05 June 2013, 01:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
If as you described there's only a few trucks in the slow lane, why WOULDN'T you pull in after overtaking? Or to ask it another way, when WOULD you pull into the slow lane if not when there's little traffic?

If inside lane is clear I will pull into that. If I see a truck say 100 yds ahead I will probably stay in middle lane before pulling over if I won't be holding anyone up.

I would always pull into inside lane if car behind is getting closer and likely to want to get past even if he is well over speed limit.

When I went to live in US it took quite a while to get used to undertaking and I would be a bit dubious introducing it here.

dl

Quick Reply: Middle Lane Hogs Face £100 On-The-Spot Fines