Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

An old one, but still makes me smile.

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2013, 11:18 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An old one, but still makes me smile.

CONGRATULATIONS** TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and80's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........**WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.** Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,** and we learned

HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS**!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

PS -The BIG type is because your eyes are shot at your age
Old 30 May 2013, 11:22 PM
Lee225
Scooby Regular

Spot on my friend!
Old 30 May 2013, 11:27 PM
ant1973
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superbly done!
Old 30 May 2013, 11:29 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

and the fun we had with airguns huge knives and motorbikes
Old 30 May 2013, 11:39 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

So true. I work in a supermarket and listening to mum's saying "No it's dirty" as a vegetable falls to the floor and the kid goes to pick it up. I used to go picking Blackberries, blueberries, etc on the side of hills or in a ravine and would eat them whilst picking. No option to wash them, I knew how to tell a bad one so no issues. Getting scratched by thorns cutting fingers when moving over rocks, no trips to A&E or mad cleaning with wipes a plenty.
Old 01 June 2013, 03:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
CONGRATULATIONS** TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and80's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........**WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.** Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,** and we learned

HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS**!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

PS -The BIG type is because your eyes are shot at your age
I remember all that!

Les
Old 01 June 2013, 10:16 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

me too!!
Old 01 June 2013, 10:39 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

I remember washing my hand in a puddle to eat a piece and jam ( jam sandwich) my mates mum gave me, and in 11 years of schooling my dad picked me up in the car twice.
Old 01 June 2013, 10:45 PM
jennas
Scooby Regular

I remember all the penny sweets I could get with a green pound note and I could get on the bus for 20p.
Old 02 June 2013, 12:11 AM
Ozne
Scooby Regular

What about 90s kids? Hello!
Old 02 June 2013, 12:41 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Not so much congratulations to all he children in the 60's 70's an 80's that died of simple curable diseases that we now take for granted can be treated

Hooray to the fact that children no longer die of simple diseases like measles, hooping cough etc etc

Hooray to the fact that 90% of childhood cancers are treatable and children survive

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 02 June 2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02 June 2013, 09:51 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jennas
I remember all the penny sweets I could get with a green pound note
One hundred?
Old 02 June 2013, 10:26 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

School holidays we would be out at 7am,not get home till about 6.30pm.Out playing climbing trees,building dens,river jumping,playing tracking,scrumping in the orchard,climbing conker trees,fishing,Choking on gob stoppers,trying to get drunk on cider lollies and shandy,feeling sick from eating too many sherbert dips,bon bons and wham bars.

Great days....
Old 02 June 2013, 02:51 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

or the kids that all that stuff did actually happen too .. the reason behind the changes ..
Old 04 June 2013, 04:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We used to get very nice lollipops for one penny each on the way to school and sell them to the boarders for tuppence!

Les