Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BBQ Season...

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2013, 11:11 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BBQ Season...

I know we do the Gas/Charcoal debate every year. 18 months ago I decided to take advantage of what looked like a great end of season offer on a gas BBQ at Homebase which transpired to be possibly the most poorly manufactured product I have ever come across.

The last straw was the unit nearly collapsing due to the rear axles buckling under its own weight. I wrote the following review on their website last night after grinding my teeth for a couple of hours. Let's see if Homebase have the ***** to publish my review...

Lets see if Homebase have the ***** to publish my review of the BBQ I bought from them, you saw it here first:

"As a lifelong charcoal user it took a lot to convert me to gas but seeing this BBQ in a £200 end of summer sale and being in the mood for a bargain I decided to test the water so to speak.

Self assembly was somewhat more complex than the instructions would have you believe. The one man, 30 minute assembly became 2 and a half hours of me and my father in law (a chartered engineer), hampered by a skewed base that required realigning, bolt holes that didn't line up and screws with the eyelet not drilled. Overall, a very poorly machined product.

Now the positives: The coals heated swiftly, food was cooked and enjoyed by friends and family.

Fast forward 18 months and the product is about to collapse. Under its own weight the rear axles have buckled, the doors barely close as their original misalignment caused by the warped frame has been so exacerbated. The self-sealing bolts did not self-seal and are working loose and it's a bugger to clean. No wonder Jamie Oliver is such a wealthy individual if the royalties from products bearing his name keep rolling in whilst the products are made to the lowest possible standards.

I will happily invite members of Homebase's procurement and QA departments over to taste the food from this most poorly engineered BBQ to see that whilst my cooking isn't up to Mr. Oliver's standards (although, not too bad if I do say so myself) his product certainly isn't fit for purpose.

Do not buy this BBQ."

Rant over, feel much better now
Old 28 May 2013, 11:45 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a matter of interest where was it made?
Old 28 May 2013, 12:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I suppose it being the modern age they at least can't play get it in the bin from 3 metres with your letter,

Recently wrote a rather direct letter to the manufacturer /retailers of gunson ezibleed

Of course no word of acknowledgement, which proves to me they're villains
Old 28 May 2013, 12:34 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

My Homebase gas BBQ is still in use this year, nearly six years old IIRC. Made by Camping Gaz according to the rating label on it.

Not bad really as it's not a stainless job, has spent a few winters outside due to laziness on my part not to clean it up and put it in the shed at the end of the season. That said I fear this year will be its last, it's getting quite corroded and the burner has rusted enough for a hole to appear in the middle of it so an additional flame comes out of it. Because of that it seems to be cooking better than ever as I get a bit hotspot in the middle and cooler areas to the side, just move the food around to either sear or cook as required

It does amaze me how the big sheds can sell these BBQs so cheaply when compared to say a Webber but it would seem to be down to quality at the end of the day. I would like to replace this one with a Webber or similar but spending upwards of £1k on a BBQ when I could have 5 or more B&Q/Homebase equivalents for the same money does raise a few questions...
Old 28 May 2013, 01:01 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Our charcoal one was custom made by some engineer bloke; had its first airing on Saturday when we catered for almost thirty people.

Great fun and an excuse to drink plenty while looking like a responsible "chef"
Old 28 May 2013, 01:34 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have one of the big BeefEater BBQs, and you seriously cannot fault it. Solid, sturdy, well built, but it does take a lot of cleaning afterwards (same with most BBQs anyway). It comes down to 'you get what you pay for'.
Old 28 May 2013, 02:43 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

funnily enough years ago I got a 'managers special' from Homebase and without doubt it was the worst gas BBQ I have ever had, even worse than those ****ty 2 inch deep throwaway jobs.

It worked for 1 month, then sooted up the viewing window so you couldn't see anything, it had two temps ignoring what you had it set at, off and 2000 degrees, stand fell apart, took ages to light, a ******* to clean etc.

Gone back to charcoal

Would be interesting to see if they publish it
Old 28 May 2013, 04:59 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We were most disappointed in Oz when every BBQ was a hot plate on a gas ring; why not just fry it?!
Old 28 May 2013, 05:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just means cooking outside nowadays I think
Old 28 May 2013, 05:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

dont see the point in a gas bbq........may aswell cook summat in the oven.a bbq is all about the smoke/taste
Old 28 May 2013, 05:24 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
dont see the point in a gas bbq........may aswell cook summat in the oven.a bbq is all about the smoke/taste
Whilst there is no getting away from the fact that charcoal is king it's the convenience of gas that I like. If the weather happens to be nice one evening when I get home from work I just light it, wait a bit for it to get hot and cook. No mess, no fuss & a big gas bottle means I'm not having to buy loads of charcoal all the time. It's not bad flavour wise, mine is packed with lava rock so the fat still drips onto the hot coals and smokes giving the BBQ taste. You get flames too
Old 28 May 2013, 06:17 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

It's the tightarse in me that makes me use my gas BBQ more than my charcoal one as I usually put enough charcoal to do the job and then when I've finished it just carries on cooking nothing for the next hour, gas BBQ, turn it on - wait 5 minutes - cook your tea - turn it off
Old 28 May 2013, 06:23 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Home base will say you should store it in a dry place when not in use as per the manual so so one.

However. Write a letter to the managing director directly and I assure you he will personally respond with a new unit.
Old 28 May 2013, 06:59 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

I really want a Weber one touch Preminum Charcoal Bbq. They are bloody expensive £150 for a charcoal bbq but they do come with a 10 year guarantee.

Anyone got one
Old 28 May 2013, 07:32 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Me and its fantastic, had one 8 years ago and got a tiny bit of rust in the bowl 2years ago and they changed it for a new one straight away. The one touch has evolved over the years but is still the good old dependable webber and no I don't work for them