Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Afghan interpreters to get right to live in UK

About bloody time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22620207
Old 22 May 2013, 04:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Suppose it saves them having to sneak in illegally. You're being brave advocating immigrants on here

Served the front line with us then its only fair I say
Old 22 May 2013, 04:42 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree, served and deserved.
Old 22 May 2013, 06:12 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Suppose it saves them having to sneak in illegally. You're being brave advocating immigrants on here

Served the front line with us then its only fair I say
+1 I think that's fair enough
Old 22 May 2013, 06:31 PM
TH9564
Scooby Regular

Yep a lot of them have saved British lives most of them are well on side, wouldn't be able to do the job without them! Residence earned in this case
Old 22 May 2013, 07:58 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Nope. Disagree.

They've put their lives on the line, fair play.

However.....

They've been paid a VERY good wage, knew the risks, and took the money with their eyes open.
They did NOT do this for love of the UK HM Queen, etc. They did it for the money. They would have preferred to work for the Yanks (who paid more) anyway.
They have NO loyalty or even liking for the UK. Most will use UK asylum to move to Canada, USA, etc.
They were all recruited from Kabul, far far away from Helmand, thus reducing the intimidation risk.
There have been very few (under 10) claims of intimidation thus far, so is there a genuine problem?
We are talking of probably over 5,000 people, plus their families, so over 30,000 in total is quite possible. That’s a lot of Afghans – even if most of the Males do at least speak English!
Old 22 May 2013, 08:01 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

1000 only.
Old 22 May 2013, 08:24 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

600, read the stories of these two chaps in the link below, who did help us on the front lines, you might change your attitude, or because it doesnt directly effect you I guess you couldnt care. Theyre going to be sponging off us forever?

These guys are educated and want to make a better life for themselves, no reason why we shouldnt help them along that route.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22625887
Old 22 May 2013, 08:29 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
600, read the stories of these two chaps in the link below, who did help us on the front lines, you might change your attitude, or because it doesnt directly effect you I guess you couldnt care. Theyre going to be sponging off us forever?

These guys are educated and want to make a better life for themselves, no reason why we shouldnt help them along that route.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22625887
We could always swap them for 600 residents of Scunthorpe. Having read the Scunthorpe thread it might improve the place.
Old 22 May 2013, 08:36 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I'm more than happy with that suggestion.
Old 22 May 2013, 09:36 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Definitely let them in, but put the bill on the (personal) Blair/Bush credit card!!! They chose to invade, so they should pay for the consequences!

mb
Old 22 May 2013, 10:38 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

We where "invited" to assist the new free government. It went Pete Tong after Bliar shagged Bush and went after WMD.
Old 23 May 2013, 12:15 AM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRIS_D
Nope. Disagree.

They've put their lives on the line, fair play.

However.....

They've been paid a VERY good wage, knew the risks, and took the money with their eyes open.
They did NOT do this for love of the UK HM Queen, etc. They did it for the money. They would have preferred to work for the Yanks (who paid more) anyway.
They have NO loyalty or even liking for the UK. Most will use UK asylum to move to Canada, USA, etc.
They were all recruited from Kabul, far far away from Helmand, thus reducing the intimidation risk.
There have been very few (under 10) claims of intimidation thus far, so is there a genuine problem?
We are talking of probably over 5,000 people, plus their families, so over 30,000 in total is quite possible. That’s a lot of Afghans – even if most of the Males do at least speak English!
Agreed.

What they did was a job, a very brave job, but a job none the less. They didn't join the British Army, and they didn't carry out the work for the benefit of Britain. They did it for money, and the benefit of their own country.

Now if they had joined the British Army and worked under the rules and served like other members, then it would be a different story.

How many of them will end up on benefits, and how many will bring their extended family over? This is setting up the benefit system for one long kick in the nuts.
Old 23 May 2013, 02:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richy P1984
Agreed.

What they did was a job, a very brave job, but a job none the less. They didn't join the British Army, and they didn't carry out the work for the benefit of Britain. They did it for money, and the benefit of their own country.

Now if they had joined the British Army and worked under the rules and served like other members, then it would be a different story.

How many of them will end up on benefits, and how many will bring their extended family over? This is setting up the benefit system for one long kick in the nuts.
You must be a pretty ungrateful sort of person as well as very selfish.

Our Services could not have succeeded in the job they were doing without the help they got from those people who were brave enough to offer their services knowing well enough the risks they were taking.

I think you should be ashamed of yourself for your uncaring comments.

Les
Old 23 May 2013, 02:47 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Just to put it into perspective.

I'm serving. Have been to Afghanistan twice and I'm going again this year, for 8 months. I've patrolled the green zone, on foot and been in contact. I have worked closely with the locals be it ANA, ANP or terps.

As this was announced the other day the majority of my unit were in disagreement with the decision. Some, but not many welcomed it.

If you've served on the front line in Helmand and have a different view to mine, fair enough. I'll accept that. However, I've personally worked with them and IMO some are ok (face value) and some are dodgy as you like. Either way, I wouldn't trust any of them but that's just my opinion.
Old 23 May 2013, 02:50 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I'm serving. Have been to Afghanistan twice and I'm going again this year, for 8 months. I've patrolled the green zone, on foot and been in contact. I have worked closely with the locals be it ANA, ANP or terps.

As this was announced the other day the majority of my unit were in disagreement with the decision. Some, but not many welcomed it.

If you've served on the front line in Helmand and have a different view to mine, fair enough. I'll accept that. However, I've personally worked with them and IMO some are ok (face value) and some are dodgy as you like. Either way, I wouldn't trust any of them but that's just my opinion.
Could not agree more with you.

Unless you have served with interpreters, you will not have a clue about it, simple as that. People are commenting on it because they think all terps' are wonderful people that are only in it to help our troops. NOT TRUE.
Old 23 May 2013, 05:30 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Old 23 May 2013, 11:05 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You must be a pretty ungrateful sort of person as well as very selfish.

Our Services could not have succeeded in the job they were doing without the help they got from those people who were brave enough to offer their services knowing well enough the risks they were taking.

I think you should be ashamed of yourself for your uncaring comments.

Les
I'm not ungrateful at all, I'm thankful to the British soldiers who go out there and face death on a daily basis because they want to defend the country, our way of life and culture.

The army may well be dependant upon the services of guides and interpreters, but that doesn't change the facts that the only reason they are doing it, is for money.

If the work was done on a voluntary basis, or on behalf of the army then they would have a legitimate moral claim, but it wasn't.

The army may have something to be grateful for, but as MoP I don't. There's nothing to be ashamed of when stating facts.
Old 25 May 2013, 05:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richy P1984
I'm not ungrateful at all, I'm thankful to the British soldiers who go out there and face death on a daily basis because they want to defend the country, our way of life and culture.

The army may well be dependant upon the services of guides and interpreters, but that doesn't change the facts that the only reason they are doing it, is for money.

If the work was done on a voluntary basis, or on behalf of the army then they would have a legitimate moral claim, but it wasn't.

The army may have something to be grateful for, but as MoP I don't. There's nothing to be ashamed of when stating facts.
If you actually are loyal to this country, and therefore support our Armed Services, you might even feel grateful to those interpreters for helping to make the Army's job easier. or even possible to do in spite of the fact they were facing great personal risk by doing the job.

Quite unnecessary and even somewhat childish to talk them down in an effort to denigrate what they did.

Did you realise by the way that Soldiers,Sailors and Airmen actually get paid for being members of the Armed Services?

Les
Old 25 May 2013, 05:22 PM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

Totally agree, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. They served a purpose but where well rewarded for their services.
Old 25 May 2013, 06:40 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

If you actually are loyal to this country, and therefore support our Armed Services, you might even feel grateful to those interpreters for helping to make the Army's job easier. or even possible to do in spite of the fact they were facing great personal risk by doing the job.

Quite unnecessary and even somewhat childish to talk them down in an effort to denigrate what they did.

Did you realise by the way that Soldiers,Sailors and Airmen actually get paid for being members of the Armed Services?

Les
Les you need to sit on the fence on this one, there's lads on this thread that have been there and had to work with these people and seen things at first hand. You and I will never share that experience.
Old 25 May 2013, 07:20 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Agree, served and deserved.
I agree. They have worked alongside our military personal in very difficult conditions. In doing so they have made themselves an enemy of the Taliban which genuinely puts their lives in danger. I think we have a duty to protect these brave people, after all they have earned it.
Old 25 May 2013, 08:02 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Les
You know, I never realised that soldiers were paid, and as others have said and I have held back from saying - up until now, people on here who have worked with them don't hold a great opinion of them, so maybe you should ease off on the mud throwing.
Old 27 May 2013, 04:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Les you need to sit on the fence on this one, there's lads on this thread that have been there and had to work with these people and seen things at first hand. You and I will never share that experience.
You might be surprised at the things I have seen during a very long time indeed in the Armed Services.

I have also worked with civilians who were necessary to the job I was doing and I will not retract my admiration of the bravery shown by those interpreters as described above.

Les
Old 27 May 2013, 07:59 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

You might be surprised at the things I have seen during a very long time indeed in the Armed Services.

I have also worked with civilians who were necessary to the job I was doing and I will not retract my admiration of the bravery shown by those interpreters as described above.

Les
Les the description you are ignoring is that that has been given in this thread by members of the military who have actually served at the sharp end in Afgan.
Old 27 May 2013, 11:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All that to tell what a dog is on about ?
Old 28 May 2013, 02:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Les the description you are ignoring is that that has been given in this thread by members of the military who have actually served at the sharp end in Afgan.
Those were individual descriptions, I have worked with enough self opinionated people who regarded locals as subhuman when they had no right to do so too.

I would be ashamed of my country if it left those interpreters to be murdered by the enemy.

Les