Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Honest answers please

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2013, 11:56 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest answers please

Ok, we've all grown up (at least a little) and I'm sure we all have a, "had I known this 10 years ago" thing I have an interesting question to ask. I'm 33 years old now and still unsure what I want to do with my life (other than travel, experience people and cultures etc but dont let that influence answers, this is a genuine interest of everyone in general)

So for example, had I known 10 years ago the housing market would have gone the way it had, I wouldnt have sold my first house to buy my second etc etc. No regrets... It happened. Again, had I known I was going to knacker my knees I may have joined the Marines and used my fitness and love for outdoor life to an advantage... Too late. These are not the replies I'm looking for.

BUT, given money no object (Ok well £20k but that should get one far) and time not an issue, lets say you have a year or two available to not have the need to work) What would you study? What job would you want from it at the end and why?
Old 20 May 2013, 11:57 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

a dr
Old 21 May 2013, 12:00 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I'm sure I asked 3 questions, do you honestly think you would enjoy being a doctor? Hardly seems fun, lots of bad news to hand out, hanging around either ill or sleep deprived depressed people.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:05 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Start your own business?
Old 21 May 2013, 12:14 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I'd love to, but I wouldnt want to waste a wedge of money on something that could easily fail without a quality idea. This opportunity 10 years ago I would have been laughing. It's a tougher world to do something like that now.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:17 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Boro
Start your own business?
Absolute Rubbish, why risk your own money,

go into banking and risk someone else's money

the rewards are better too

Or plumbing
Old 21 May 2013, 12:18 AM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

You will never be out of work as a doctor and you will be rewarded by helping people as well as having good pay.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:20 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

In terms of further studies, what are you interested in studying, Dave? It really depends upon that tbh.

You don't have to take total time out for further studies. You can do postgrad and doctoral on part time basis. But if you have a luxury to take a long Sabbatical on your savings, choose something that really interests you. Then you can put your heart and soul into studying it.

Last edited by Turbohot; 21 May 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:22 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Absolute Rubbish, why risk your own money,

go into banking and risk someone else's money

the rewards are better too

Or plumbing
Plumbing? Seriously? Sticking my hand down someone elses sh!tter is not my idea of enjoying life
Old 21 May 2013, 12:24 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Or plumbing
Haha, an answer that I have a bit more respect for.

In all honesty though guys, it was meant to be a little more thought provoking? I'm not actually looking for ideas (would be great if I see one) but just in general.

I came up with a mini list, I think top of them was along the lines of Architect or archeologist, but obviously thats more something on a personal scale.

Last edited by davegtt; 21 May 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:26 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
I'd love to, but I wouldnt want to waste a wedge of money on something that could easily fail without a quality idea. This opportunity 10 years ago I would have been laughing. It's a tougher world to do something like that now.
If you'd seriously love to. Think about it. Something might just click.

Old 21 May 2013, 12:30 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Turbohot
In terms of further studies, what are you interested in studying, Dave? It really depends upon that tbh.
All I feel Ive done is study. I get the qualifications but without an end product because its not what I want to do. Like recently the last 3 years Ive done my AAT's, found it really easy and seemed like a sensible career. But if I'm not going to win the lottery (I dont play btw) then I dont want to sit behind a desk filling out accounting reports each month for people who most likely are not reading them and making the most out of the business. Its just mundane.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:32 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Boro
If you'd seriously love to. Think about it. Something might just click.

Im more likely to invest in a friend with talent for something else. My ideas are extinguished now technology caught me up
Old 21 May 2013, 12:34 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Haha, an answer that I have a bit more respect for.

In all honesty though guys, it was meant to be a little more thought provoking? I'm not actually looking for ideas (would be great if I see one) but just in general.

I came up with a mini list, I think top of them was along the lines of Architect or archeologist, but obviously thats more something on a personal scale.
Architect, are you having a laugh, 7 to 8 years to qualify, little prospect of work after that

A secretary at Goldman Sachs will earn more than 60% of architects
Old 21 May 2013, 12:39 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Bugger, I was going to recommend the forces until i read about your knees! Its a shame you didnt join originally bud. Still not too late though.....

Have you considered the reserves i.e TA, RAF reserves etc? Not sure how bad your knees are, but a lot of trades within the reservists dont require a great deal of physical attributes but still provide you with what your after i.e travel, different experiences etc. You also get paid to do it, you gain extra quals, plus its only part time, so you can pursue something else during the week

Last edited by Peedee; 21 May 2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:42 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

No. I'm not having a laugh, hence the question, I dont think I could do architecture but Im just coming up with a profession that is not beyond anyones means. ffs, is it so hard to actually get people to contribute to a damn thread on this website anymore? What a **** place SN has become.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:44 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

As I said plumbing

The biggest bang for bucks this side of banking
Old 21 May 2013, 12:48 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Something that combines computing / technology and cars, but not too sure what. Dyno Guru / ECU mapper perhaps, maybe something in motorsport that combines the two (behind the scenes computer tech for a motorsport team might work).

Why? I like computing / tech, I like cars, and somewhat like bikes, so a combination of the two things would be great.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:48 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Peedee
Bugger, I was going to recommend the forces until i read about your knees! Its a shame you didnt join originally bud. Still not too late though.....

Have you considered the reserves i.e TA, RAF reserves etc? Not sure how bad your knees are, but a lot of trades within the reservists dont require a great deal of physical attributes but still provide you with what your after i.e travel, different experiences etc.
They have very little life left to be honest. Enough to maybe take it easy and reach my 50yr old goal. But hey, at least I abused what god gave me lmao. Must admit, I would tell any school leaver to join the forces (most likely the RAF mind) on the basis on the lack of action you see, but the plus side of, well everything. Not to mention when you leave people employ you just for your disipline

Can I point out once again, although this is an option thats available to me, I do think this is an interesting question for most adults who most likely have thought about their future, or what it could have been had they known to contribute to am interesting conversation.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:49 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

By the sound of it, you want to learn something of your interest, but not for the sake of it. Well, how about Scuba Diving instructor's course or something like that? I know a bloke who did that, left his job as a packaging designer and now he travels around teaching others to Scuba Dive. You like travelling, anyway. Money is not millions, but he's happy and physically fit. That's all one needs in life, really.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:50 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Markus
Something that combines computing / technology and cars, but not too sure what. Dyno Guru / ECU mapper perhaps, maybe something in motorsport that combines the two (behind the scenes computer tech for a motorsport team might work).

Why? I like computing / tech, I like cars, and somewhat like bikes, so a combination of the two things would be great.

Most likely possible to learn through experience, maybe offering yourself as a volunteer at a reputable garage if you have the nessesary skills in exchange for some mapping guidance. Good shout.
Old 21 May 2013, 09:25 AM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

I've just been in a similare situation, I'm 37, married with 2 children. I've worked none stop since leaving college in the same trade (within catering, mostly as a chef). The last couple of years has been a struggle with not seeing family growing up (also personal problems within the last 4 years, diagnosed with hogkins lymphoma, dad passing away and gran passing), so I wanted/needed to change. So, I am just comleating a certificate in education, so I will be able to teach in colleges and once I have my certifications, can apply for QTLS to be able to teach in schools to. I'm just starting to apply for jobs now. Its not been easy, finances have been tight BUT I have spent time with my wife and children, and we have enjoyed our children being with their grandparents. Only hope I can get a job now!!!
Old 21 May 2013, 09:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Locksmith, money for old rope
Old 21 May 2013, 10:12 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Locksmith, money for old rope
Well, new keys really. And locks.
Old 21 May 2013, 10:24 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbohot
By the sound of it, you want to learn something of your interest, but not for the sake of it. Well, how about Scuba Diving instructor's course or something like that? I know a bloke who did that, left his job as a packaging designer and now he travels around teaching others to Scuba Dive. You like travelling, anyway. Money is not millions, but he's happy and physically fit. That's all one needs in life, really.
A mate did this,and did his diving qualification.This is a pic of him a few weeks ago in on hols in Egypt...

Old 21 May 2013, 10:47 AM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Change country and start somewhere else afresh.

I've always lived on the basis of "what would I do if I won the lottery tomorrow"...then as I don't do the lottery "how am I going to live like that". I jacked the UK in (had a very well paid London based Consultancy job), sold the house (for a stupid profit) and moved to France 12 years ago. I now sell a half a dozen luxury homes (chateaux, manoirs, etc.) a year and spend the rest of the time enjoying my family (new baby of 7 months, lad of 8 years and girlfriend, dogs, cats, etc.) and my life (quads, bikes, jetskis, cars, etc.) and live on a decent size farm (20 acres) in a lovely area. I earn more than enough for the lifestyle we live and I love every minute of it. I chose my clients (vendors and buyers), manage my own time, report to no-one and get to meet some really great people whilst looking at superb homes and drive a Subaru whilst doing it.

I really don't see the point of spending 20k going back to school to study again for a job that may or may not give you what you want later on. Spend the time and money "trying" different jobs/careers even working for free and you'll know what fits and gives you the life you want.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do
Old 21 May 2013, 11:46 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

No. I'm not having a laugh, hence the question, I dont think I could do architecture but Im just coming up with a profession that is not beyond anyones means. ffs, is it so hard to actually get people to contribute to a damn thread on this website anymore? What a **** place SN has become.
No, but it's a daft question (honest answer). How are we supposed to know what you want to do.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:13 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LVC
I really don't see the point of spending 20k going back to school to study again for a job that may or may not give you what you want later on. Spend the time and money "trying" different jobs/careers even working for free and you'll know what fits and gives you the life you want.
That's contradictory.

You say not to go back to school to study for a job that "MAY OR MAY NOT" give you a job you want, but then you suggest to spend the money "TRYING" different things.

So according to you, you wouldn't want to risk going back to school, but you'd happily risk spending all your money trying to find something you like, bearing in mind there are literally thousands of career paths that someone can take and your not guaranteed to find something you like doing once your 20 grand has gone?

At least if he goes back to education, he will have qualifications at the end of it (whether or not its what he does or doesn't want to do.....it would at least be something to put on his CV.), whereas if he drifts from job to job / hobby to hobby etc slowly withering his money away, he won't have anything at the end if he still hasn't found something he wants to get in to, except that future employers will wonder why he went from job to job and didn't spend very long in any of them. Wouldn't exactly look great would it.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:25 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Do something that would benefit a charity, you will find it very rewarding.

Chip
Old 21 May 2013, 12:28 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
That's contradictory.

You say not to go back to school to study for a job that "MAY OR MAY NOT" give you a job you want, but then you suggest to spend the money "TRYING" different things.

So according to you, you wouldn't want to risk going back to school, but you'd happily risk spending all your money trying to find something you like, bearing in mind there are literally thousands of career paths that someone can take and your not guaranteed to find something you like doing once your 20 grand has gone?

At least if he goes back to education, he will have qualifications at the end of it (whether or not its what he does or doesn't want to do.....it would at least be something to put on his CV.), whereas if he drifts from job to job / hobby to hobby etc slowly withering his money away, he won't have anything at the end if he still hasn't found something he wants to get in to, except that future employers will wonder why he went from job to job and didn't spend very long in any of them. Wouldn't exactly look great would it.
Not really - I don't consider an apprenticeship as "going back to school" - if he was to spend 2 years studying he would, as you correctly say, leave education with qualifications but if those qualifications don't lead to a fruitful or satisfying job (who knows as he won't have "tried" the profession before leaving education) then he's back to square one. If however during the 2 years he travels, tries different jobs and spends the time constructively he should be able to have a better idea of what job he does actually want to spend the rest of his career doing. Most people leave school and often higher education without ever "sampling" their future job until they have "specialised" in that field and then it's often too late. Given his situation I personally would plan a trip around the world with strategic goals set with a view to a "Test" career path - I'm not suggesting "backpacking around Europe" which would have no advantage to his CV as you say, but with his experience and qualifications already he should be able to apply to a number of interesting short term positions.

Just my ideas, I didn't go to Uni but followed an apprenticeship and then with a lot of luck became a very well paid consultant in a different field, my "qualifications" are not very impressive but my CV is and every job I've ever applied for without exception I've had an offer for and now have the chance to do what I enjoy doing and live the lifestyle I wanted - without having to spend years and years in "school" accumulating "paper qualifications".

Quick Reply: Honest answers please