Work/Training?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2013, 08:21 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work/Training?

Looking for some opinions here………

Today I have been given an additional training agreement to sign which basically says that should I leave the company within 12 months of receiving training I have to pay back ‘x’ percentage of the training costs. I can understand from their point of view that they don’t want to spend thousands on training (training is Microsoft stuff so you’re talking a few £k for a few days training) only to have the person up and leave later (I work for a small-ish IT company – 8 people) but I have a few reservations….

I have worked there for just over 9 years, no real intention of looking for anything else but I’m getting more fed up with the job anyway to be honest so im not so sure in another year or two that I wouldn’t be looking to move on. No mention of wage increase either after training etc. Another thing I’m slightly confused over at the moment is the paragraph states “within one year of receiving training in accordance with the following schedule” which then says – less than 6 months’ pay 100%, 6-12 months 75%, 12-18 months, 18-24 months? So is it within a year, or two?? I’m going to ask the question but the person is now away for a few days.

I’m not out to cause a rift or take the p!ss etc (I’m due to go on some training in a few weeks which is what has prompted this agreement thing) but I don’t want to agree to something which is going to cause me potential issues later, especially if it’s a few years down the line. I mean I suspect there will be training again over the next few years so on that basis it will always cost me money to leave the job? They also state that should I refuse to pay then they will take it out of my wages. No mention of any payment terms etc either.

One guy has just done a week of this training and his course was over 4k. Although, they have only now given him the same agreement as me after he has done the training – his in two minds to not agree to it as why would he now want to agree to something that’s potentially going to cost him £’s later on?? (His been there a good number of years too).

Interested to hear what others have done in similar situations??
Old 20 May 2013, 08:40 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

A couple of things ( and I am no expert)

This type of contract is quite normal, even in the very largest companies, and not unreasonable IMO

Often, your next employee will cover the cost, especially If, as a result of your new skills YOU get headhunted

Training will allow you to get a better job, maybe it might be worth it in the long run

Any clawed back monies over 9 months seems a bit strong, and 24 months seems like they are pushing their luck

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 20 May 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 20 May 2013, 10:43 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have the contractual right to do it so tricky to evade. What they cannot do is activate it retrospect for your colleague.....

Shaun