"Garmin" Street pilot 3, Any good??

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2002, 02:29 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Would like to find out more about them. Can you select the language
and just how detailed are they for getting around London etc.. ?? I know i will still need my A-z!!!

Cheers
Old 20 May 2002, 11:13 PM
Luke
BANNED

ttt
Old 20 May 2002, 11:32 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Luke don't know much about the Streetpilot, except it's colour and for vehicles specifically.
I have the Garmin EMAP which I use on the bike and mountainbike, in the car and on foot even.
The technology is pretty much the same, except it doesn't have colour or prompt you verbally to go in a certain direction.
You can select the local language as well as loads of other things like:-
mph/kph
Map types (O/S or about 20 other types)
Map details
loads more I forget.

I can tell you the detail on the maps is pretty good.
Even the 'default' map that comes shipped with it (not the one on the CD, the one in EPROM) is good enough to find main roads and stuff throughout Europe, I've used mine in Sweden and Norway for example and it gave me details down to street name level.
Detail maps give things like petrol stations, points of interest etc etc
Also tried it on the flight over once and it told me my max speed was 654mph :-)
I have bought additional CD's for city and/or sightseeing information, which you can download to the RAM onboard. I've also expanded mine with a 128MB plug in card, but I've never used more than about 30MB, as the download interface is pretty slow and you tend to just load the maps you need. i.e I never go to Scotland or Ireland so I didn't install Scotlands detail maps.
I'm well impressed with my EMAP, I believe the StreetPilot is better, but then it's a lot more money.
Shop around though, I know Dixons for example charge full list.
I bought mine at Snow&Rock in a sale and got it for about 100quid off. There are a number of online sites that are selling them in the UK as well (bought my plugin RAM on one of them and service was very good, but I forget who it was to be honest :-()

I've been very impressed with the accuracy of mine.
With good satelite reception it is accurate to about 20ft, to give you an idea if I do a mountain bike run of 30 miles and plot the route on the map, the overlay of the return route is exactly ontop of the outgoing route if you follow the same path exactly on the way back. I've tried riding around small trees and it effectively draws little circles on the route as you go around them - hours of fun, a bit like a grownups Etch-a-Sketch ;-)

Once again, do shop around as I know the savings to be had are huge.
Old 21 May 2002, 07:46 AM
Luke
BANNED

Cheers for a good reply. I would like to get a very good map of central London for it. Just how detailed would it be?? Also Language selections??? Do you have to bt each one or what.??? I would need English and possibly Turkish

Luke
Old 21 May 2002, 09:35 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Not sure about Turkish.
Standard language support includes English/Spanish/Italian/French/German, but I believe the other languages can be support through localised MAPSOURCE maps.

Here's a couple of links to help you out:-

MapSource Map CDs
http://www.adventureshop.co.uk/garmin/mapsource.htm

StreetPilot source
http://www.adventureshop.co.uk/garmin/garmin_gps_mobile_electronics.htm
http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=SubDept&wce=2989

The detailed map of London (and many other citys) is on the European Metroguide.