Advanced drivers/instructors

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2013, 08:42 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced drivers/instructors

Hi guys,

are there any advanced drivers /instructors or even better police traffic officers with advanced qualifications on here? Could you pm me or reply on here as I'd like some information from you please

Thanks in advance

Tom
Old 14 April 2013, 09:17 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I have advanced driving and hgv if that's any good
Old 14 April 2013, 09:17 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Been an IAM member for 15 years, did a cop course a while back.
Old 14 April 2013, 09:29 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

I'm basically looking at getting myself some highly recognised driving qualifications and just want pointing in the right direction as to which courses are best.

What did the police driving course entail and how long did it take? is it a certified qualification?

Cheers
Old 14 April 2013, 09:36 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The cop course was actually part of a temp driving job I did for the Police. Just a days intensive training but I learned a lot above and beyond the IAM stuff) and got something on my driving record. Sadly it's not available to non cops but I think you can now do similar stuff on a course. Would need googling!

The qualifications depend on what you want to do. RoSPA suits some more then IAM then there are the High Performance courses too.
Old 14 April 2013, 09:43 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Look up ihcd driving courses mate. Thats what we use in the ambulance sector. Soon to be reconisged on our driving license
Old 14 April 2013, 09:47 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
The cop course was actually part of a temp driving job I did for the Police. Just a days intensive training but I learned a lot above and beyond the IAM stuff) and got something on my driving record. Sadly it's not available to non cops but I think you can now do similar stuff on a course. Would need googling!

The qualifications depend on what you want to do. RoSPA suits some more then IAM then there are the High Performance courses too.
I've tried googling various courses but there is so much variation in courses and what they give it's difficult to see which one is best suited to my needs

Originally Posted by Bean1984
Look up ihcd driving courses mate. Thats what we use in the ambulance sector. Soon to be reconisged on our driving license
Is this course open to civilians? Is it similar to blue light driver training?
Old 14 April 2013, 09:49 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Been an IAM member for 15 years, did a cop course a while back.
Have you done the VW Camper performance course?
Old 14 April 2013, 09:52 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bean1984
I guess this will only get me work in the NHS/ambulance service should I be looking for it?

if that's the case then wouldn't I also need the supporting qualifications to get myself into an emergency medical role?
Old 14 April 2013, 10:24 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IAM first thing for you
Do the course pass the test and become and observer

ROSPA test when I did it there was gold silver and bronze
When I was a special constabull I did a police driving session which was good too
Old 15 April 2013, 11:47 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lordharding
IAM first thing for you
Do the course pass the test and become and observer

ROSPA test when I did it there was gold silver and bronze
When I was a special constabull I did a police driving session which was good too
As a non-plod, agree with IAM then RoSPA route, not sure what other routes are open to you to be honest.
Old 15 April 2013, 02:40 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

TBH there kind of is no such thing as recognised driver qualifications in the UK, its all a bit muddy - at the moment - there are changes coming up soon though.

The 2 main ones that are mostly recognised are IAM and ROSPA. But they are not vocational. Cadence Master Drivers Course and HPC Gold are both very well known courses, but again not vocational.

Any of the vocational courses are going to be expensive. The BLU courses tend to start at about £2k.

As for the police courses, although most larger forces re-sell their own courses they will only accept candidates from a company or the govt / mil. Also cost is high, very high.

What exactly do you want the training for?
Old 15 April 2013, 08:45 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

As already said - I did IAM then RoSPA - they are both cheap membership then free training from a local group. I've done lots of other track based skills courses, but next for me will be HPC - just got to save up first....
Old 15 April 2013, 09:10 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
TBH there kind of is no such thing as recognised driver qualifications in the UK, its all a bit muddy - at the moment - there are changes coming up soon though.

The 2 main ones that are mostly recognised are IAM and ROSPA. But they are not vocational. Cadence Master Drivers Course and HPC Gold are both very well known courses, but again not vocational.

Any of the vocational courses are going to be expensive. The BLU courses tend to start at about £2k.

As for the police courses, although most larger forces re-sell their own courses they will only accept candidates from a company or the govt / mil. Also cost is high, very high.

What exactly do you want the training for?
I'm considering a career change, I'm currently a courier driver but fancy driving in a different more skilled role if that makes sense? I haven't decided exactly what I want to do but it can never hurt to advance my driving ability and most courses help with the price of insurance costs. I am considering looking into private security so these courses will hopefully go a long way towards any job applications

Originally Posted by alistair
As already said - I did IAM then RoSPA - they are both cheap membership then free training from a local group. I've done lots of other track based skills courses, but next for me will be HPC - just got to save up first....
What are the membership costs like for the IAM and RoSPA courses? I've looked into CAT driver training but it seems very expensive as a starting point
Old 15 April 2013, 09:28 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I can't remember exactly something like £20 for the membership, then free instruction from the local group, then £50 or so for the test itself - it's probably on their respective web sites.
Old 15 April 2013, 09:30 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Getaway driver?
Old 15 April 2013, 09:35 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

RoSPA is £48 for the test plus local club fees

IAM look like they now charge for "Skills For Life" to cover first year and test - £139