Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gas engineer training course.

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2013, 10:11 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas engineer training course.

I have been looking into going on one of these courses as I feel I need a change in career and the earning potential for a gas engineer is pretty good. My only worry is that I won't get any experience compared to someone who has spent 3 yrs at college and apprenticeship, and that i may struggle to get a decent start in the industry.

Is the any gas engineers on here that are able to comment on the quality of these courses?

Lee

Last edited by L.J.F; 13 March 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 13 March 2013, 11:07 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What course is it? There are all sorts of gas/plumbing courses.
Old 14 March 2013, 12:43 AM
THORP3Y83
Scooby Regular

You need to do a certain amount of on the job training to get these qualifications. You can't let's say gain a qualification and go out and do the job. Being on the job is whole different thing to working in a classroom. This is where you learn! I've been a plumber gas fitter from leaving school in 1999.

Anyway I hope you sort something out if you do go down this path and good luck!
Old 14 March 2013, 09:13 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the course is with Ableskills and below is a their outline of the course-

This is without a doubt the most comprehensive package of learning that we have for any New Entrant looking to change career and move into the gas industry.

Although this package is predominantly aimed at those who have little in the way of basic site skills and pipe-work skills, there is no reason why anyone who wants to be the best they possibly can be, shouldn’t consider this package if they have the time and money available to them.

This is a complete package of training and assessment, from start to finish, from novice to Gas Safe registered Engineer.

As well as provision of pipe-work skills and site-skills, this complete package will also provide you with essential gas safety knowledge, portfolio/work experience and ACS assessment, all of which is required to become Gas Safe registered so that you can start a new career as a Gas Engineer.

New Entrant (Category 3) Candidates are:
•those of you who are brand new to the industry and
•those of you do not hold the relevant gas trade associated qualifications, even if you have been working within the Gas industry

Access and entry to the Gas industry has previously been known to be a long-drawn-out process, typically taking at least 2 years. However, there are now quicker ways to access the gas industry and there is no longer the requirement to spend years at College before even being considered for the industry.

The areas of knowledge and skills that you will need to undertake to be able to register with Gas Safe are broken down into
•Practical skills
•Knowledge units
•Performance units and
•Assessments

Able Skills has devised a complete training programme to incorporate all of these aspects to make the whole process as accessible as possible for you.

New Entrant Pipe-Work Skills / Site-Skills / Domestic Gas Safety Training / Portfolio Placement / ACS

If you have no prior experience undertaking anything remotely relating to domestic plumbing or gas work then this comprehensive complete gas training package is ideal for you, the package comprises of:
•Training in the use of copper and low carbon steel so that your pipe skills are established at an acceptable standard.
•Training on all gas related site-skill requirements
•Training in all areas of domestic gas and gas safety
•We will provide a work placement to build evidence for a mandatory portfolio
•We will provide assessment for the purposes of achieving your Core Gas Safety (CCN1) and related appliances, certificated by CITB

Stage 1 - Pipe-work Skills: Copper Pipe And Low Carbon Steel

This 5 day course will provide you with the pipe skills required to undertake gas work to an acceptable and safe standard. During this course we will teach you how to solder copper pipe and how to deal with low carbon steel. You will undertake assessments throughout the week so that we are satisfied that you have fully grasped these skills which will ensure safety when eventually, you are dealing with gas related situations and appliances.

For those of you with a background or experience of pipework related skills, please visit 3 Week Gas Training-Portfolio-ACS where this aspect of the package is omitted.

Stage 2 - Site-Skills

This Gas Site-Skills course has been put together following consultation with the Gas Engineers that we use when we place our gas portfolio students.

Throughout this Site-Skills course which is predominantly practical, we will endeavour to cover training in the most common aspects of gas related work so that you are completely prepared for most eventualities, providing you with the essential skills for working on pipe-work in industry

Stage 3 - Domestic Gas Safety Training

For new entrants to the gas industry, Able Skills provides a comprehensive managed learning programme which covers all aspects of domestic gas work and gas safety which will prepare you for working on various gas appliances. This new entrant's gas training course is a real mix of workshop and classroom study to ensure that all aspects of domestic gas and related appliances are covered.

Progress is monitored with regular practical and written assessments and all evidence is recorded and retained for any Governing body to view at any time; these strict control methods safeguard all candidates and assessors and ensure that accurate, quality Gas training is delivered.

Stage 4 - Work Placement (Portfolio Completion)

Part of the process to becoming Gas Safe registered is to prove competence working on various aspects of gas. This will need to be undertaken under the supervision of a Gas Safe registered Engineer whereby a portfolio is completed detailing the gas work that has been done, supported by photographic evidence and signed by your Gas Safe registered Engineer.

Able Skills are able to arrange this placement for you, taking the hassle out of you searching for a suitable Gas Safe Engineer. Able Skills sister company: Able On-time Services, has secured a variety of gas work and placements will be arranged for students to ensure that the requirements of the portfolio are met to a very high standard.

Stage 5 - ACS (Approved Certification Scheme)

During this final hurdle, you will undertake assessment to achieve CCN1 (Core Gas Safety) and then any appliances which you are eligible to undertake (this is determined by the evidence in your work based portfolio).

Able Skills is approved by CITB for the purposes of Gas Assessment and successful candidates will receive certification for their CCN1 and Appliances from CITB.

CCN1 and at least one appliance is a requirement in order to register with Gas Safe. This year (2011), we have expanded our Gas assessment area to meet the demand of students completing their gas portfolios and this should ensure that students can be booked in immediately after their portfolio is completed to achieve this final stage of the gas training/assessment process.

I have looked at a few other places that offer this sort of training but this one seems to be highly rated with the added bonus of being the closest too

link to their site- www.ableskills.co.uk
Old 14 March 2013, 10:07 AM
THORP3Y83
Scooby Regular

Fair enough! I hope it works out for you! But do try and get some work experience if you can even if its going out with a gas engineer on a Saturday in your spare time! Experience is everything in this game I'm afraid. I'm still learning and every day is different! Good luck!