Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tradesmen, does the weather affect the quality of your work?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2013, 04:18 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tradesmen, does the weather affect the quality of your work?

I'm saying it does, especially if it's particularly cold.

Am i wrong?
Old 08 March 2013, 04:19 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Think you need to specify ie crap work due to cold hands or materiel's not working as well in cold temps?
Old 08 March 2013, 04:24 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Just generally really, but with regards the worker themselves. Am i better off getting a job done on a nice spring day rather than a crappy cold winter day?
Old 08 March 2013, 04:31 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

What's the job to be done?
Old 08 March 2013, 04:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of our pointing and outside work has definitely been slower in cold weather, and in some cases frost damaged. Human performance declines with cold temperature.
Old 08 March 2013, 05:01 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Some of our pointing and outside work has definitely been slower in cold weather, and in some cases frost damaged. Human performance declines with cold temperature.
That explains alot about "up north" then
Old 08 March 2013, 05:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Warm up a good example of someone that lives at a northern latitude (that actually wants to live there out of choice not just because they can't afford to live in the south) and they'll run rings around you southern softies though

Last edited by john banks; 08 March 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08 March 2013, 05:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

yes, cold does affect work, most decent contractors wont pour concrete below 2 or 3 degrees c, so exactly the same as pointing
Old 08 March 2013, 05:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TelBoy
I'm saying it does, especially if it's particularly cold.

Am i wrong?

Yes, especially if its wet trades as the freezing cold can cause a lot of issues.
Old 08 March 2013, 06:55 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Human performance declines with cold temperature.
Absolutely. Human performance does decline when the temperature is below normal threshold level. It also declines if the temperature is above human threshold level. That's the reason why people in some hottest countries need rest in the middle of the day, but they work through in their winter day, as the winter there is like summer here.

Never mind tradesman work, even academic work becomes impaired/impossible in unbearable cold or heat.

We even had a sleeping hour after lunch in our school in India during summer months. All pupils had portable mattresses and pillows for the purpose. Our school wasn't AC, but it did have huge ceiling fans. They used to throw hot air back, though. After school lunch, some kids were delegated as the watchers>. They would watch others whether they giggled or really rested with their eyes shut. Those watchers didn't sleep for that hour, but enjoyed the power trip nonetheless that kept them going for the rest of the day. Those were the days.

Last edited by Turbohot; 08 March 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08 March 2013, 07:10 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
yes, cold does affect work, most decent contractors wont pour concrete below 2 or 3 degrees c, so exactly the same as pointing
As above, if they even contemplate doing this, they are morons after a quick buck rather than a long lasting, quality finis to your job.
Old 08 March 2013, 08:23 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I won't even attempt to put water based paint on exterior surfaces below 10c.
Oil based can be used above 6c, but the longevity is questionable.

From a personal viewpoint, I don't want to work in temps less than 10c - inside or out.
Performance is definitely affected - in cold temps I feel like going home by 2pm...
Old 08 March 2013, 10:02 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

We do all aspects of building work and as above concreting ( finished slabs ) and brickwork is best avoided if possible when its really cold/wet.

There's loads of additives on the market but they can only do so much and the finish will never be as good as work done in better conditions.

Mick
Old 08 March 2013, 10:10 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

once a month

i use the tradesmans entrance................
Old 08 March 2013, 10:18 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
once a month

i use the tradesmans entrance................
Well, at least it's warm.
Old 08 March 2013, 10:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Absolutely. Human performance does decline when the temperature is below normal threshold level. It also declines if the temperature is above human threshold level. That's the reason why people in some hottest countries need rest in the middle of the day, but they work through in their winter day, as the winter there is like summer here.

Never mind tradesman work, even academic work becomes impaired/impossible in unbearable cold or heat.

We even had a sleeping hour after lunch in our school in India during summer months. All pupils had portable mattresses and pillows for the purpose. Our school wasn't AC, but it did have huge ceiling fans. They used to throw hot air back, though. After school lunch, some kids were delegated as the watchers>. They would watch others whether they giggled or really rested with their eyes shut. Those watchers didn't sleep for that hour, but enjoyed the power trip nonetheless that kept them going for the rest of the day. Those were the days.
They don't seem to have siesta in southern central Africa, not from watchin them digging roads anyway

I guess the spread the work load over the whole day.....
Old 09 March 2013, 10:11 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
They don't seem to have siesta in southern central Africa, not from watchin them digging roads anyway

I guess the spread the work load over the whole day.....
I know what you mean, I've seen that in West Africa, too. Mali never seems to sleep, it's that bleddy hot there. You go to bed for 11pm or so with the realistic fright of lizards and mosquitos entering your room, then you wake up at 6am in the morning; desperate for a drink of water. Then by 7am, the sun is shining like a fire ball up in the sky to make you restless. You have to get out of bed and do something with your life, even if it is staring at the lizards up and down the mango tree; with a sugary cup of black tea in your hands.

I saw random sellers sitting on the roadside at 4am in the morning, selling their mangoes in their baskets! I don't think they ever slept. Live music is heard all the way through the nights from random houses. They coped with the heat by singing along and beating drums.

You're right. They slow their work speed down to reasonable level, and carry on till late hours. It's like that for Indian offices, factories, roadsides and workplaces. They do have long lunch break, though. They can have a nap during that period, if they like.
Old 09 March 2013, 11:21 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Havnt beeen west Africa, maybe one day. Judes was delegate, women's rights or something at the 11 foire International development dakar, 1994! - going back a bit
Old 09 March 2013, 11:27 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I'll be back there soon. Difficult but homely place for me. It really did trigger some past memories for me. Climate is a powerful thing.