Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Colleague got dismissed

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2013, 09:26 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Colleague got dismissed

He's been with the company at least 10 years.
Nice chap but not what you'd call **** hot.
Was put on a performance improvement process late in 2011.
Finally got the boot yesterday.

As he got dismissed for poor performance he got no redundancy, no bonus (paid today) and I assume is going to have a big black hole in his CV when it comes to getting a reference as I believe the only company reference he will get is:
Employed from x to y: Dismissed for poor performance.

I was driving into work early today as I have had to pick up a few of his tasks and missed listening to radio 5 live as my car stereo is broken.

So - the question is this.

With the additional few hours a week I will be billing I have approximately £1K soon to spend on a really nice in car entertainment system.

What do you recommend?

Old 07 March 2013, 09:34 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A trip to Halfords
Old 07 March 2013, 09:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

We had to let a guy go due to poor performance*...on two occassions he 'forgot' to torque up wheel nuts on people's cars.

Parrot Asteroid looks good Had a play with a Pioneer app radio and thats nice too.

But neither have DAB, and still choice for DAB in the aftermarket is bit limted IMO. I really really would like to see better choice and some nicer looking DAB head units (the current crop of DAB head units look a bit chavvy )

*He now works at a tyre fitters

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 March 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07 March 2013, 09:40 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jods
He's been with the company at least 10 years.
Nice chap but not what you'd call **** hot.
Was put on a performance improvement process late in 2011.
Finally got the boot yesterday.

As he got dismissed for poor performance he got no redundancy, no bonus (paid today) and I assume is going to have a big black hole in his CV when it comes to getting a reference as I believe the only company reference he will get is:
Employed from x to y: Dismissed for poor performance.

I was driving into work early today as I have had to pick up a few of his tasks and missed listening to radio 5 live as my car stereo is broken.

So - the question is this.

With the additional few hours a week I will be billing I have approximately £1K soon to spend on a really nice in car entertainment system.

What do you recommend?

shame he didn't work for a bank, he would of got a bonus and promotion lol
Old 07 March 2013, 09:50 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Wow thats some duration for a performance plan.
Old 07 March 2013, 09:57 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I had a Sony DAB, crystal clear listening to the radio, USB port you can play your music straight off of your USB if need be no more ******* around with CD's getting scratched and **** which I thought was good and no more CD's cluttering up every orifice in the cabin, it was £100 quid but I had to buy a DAB ariel for it to work.
Old 07 March 2013, 10:21 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Wow thats some duration for a performance plan.
Big company and managers in USA. Chap was living on a charm. I do feel really sorry for him as he's not "Street-Wise"

It's a dog eat dog world out there and he's a vegetarian.

We've been asked NOT to contact him for a while - to allow him to come to terms with his position.

I really want to reach out to him to express my concern.

On the other hand I don't want to appear disloyal to my paymasters.

Mark
Old 07 March 2013, 10:25 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
I had a Sony DAB, crystal clear listening to the radio, USB port you can play your music straight off of your USB if need be no more ******* around with CD's getting scratched and **** which I thought was good and no more CD's cluttering up every orifice in the cabin, it was £100 quid but I had to buy a DAB ariel for it to work.
I've calculated that the additional hours I pick up will allow me to save up enough in 3 months to buy a Breitling :-)
Old 07 March 2013, 10:26 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

On the other hand I don't want to appear disloyal to my paymasters.

Mark
**** them, what you do out side of work is nothing of their concern.
Old 07 March 2013, 10:36 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

**** them, what you do out side of work is nothing of their concern.
I'll reach out to him.

Probably not to ask which Breitling I should get though.
Old 07 March 2013, 10:40 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I'll reach out to him.

Probably not to ask which Breitling I should get though.
Yea best not say thanks for the overtime thats going to buy you a new stereo lol.

Seriously though if he's a nice enough guy I woulden't give a toss about what the company say, bit of a shame this has happened but like you say its survival of the strongest out there..
Old 07 March 2013, 11:54 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took my employer 11 years to appraise me and 9 years to make an appointment for a job plan which is tomorrow at 1pm, both are conditions of my contract.

I look forward to back pay of £300,000

Surely it's up to the employer to monitor performance?

Shaun
Old 08 March 2013, 12:09 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

I love how the subject and long preamble about a colleague getting dismissed has no real baring on the question you then ask. Very comical.

Hope he doesn't read it though, lets hope he's not into cars. At least he won't be thinking of buying a Subaru for a while.
Old 08 March 2013, 12:24 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by riiidaa
I love how the subject and long preamble about a colleague getting dismissed has no real baring on the question you then ask. Very comical.

Hope he doesn't read it though, lets hope he's not into cars. At least he won't be thinking of buying a Subaru for a while.
I'd expect no less if and when I get the bullet.

It was a bit of an eye opener to me as I've always been a contractor. I've never witnessed a long term permy get binned before.

No-one gives a ****.

I'm used to being in and out of roles and it is part of what I love about my life. This guy is company thru and thru. The othe company people couldn't give a flying Fvck that he has gone. Doesn't seem very Christian to me but I do understand the thinking behind it.

I've been offered a staff role at the company.

In two minds
Old 08 March 2013, 07:29 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

We've been asked NOT to contact him for a while - to allow him to come to terms with his position.

Mark
You should contact him , i'm sure he'd love to hear about your dilema on what sound system to spend a grand on. It'll take his mind of his silly little problem of loosing his job.
Old 08 March 2013, 09:35 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
You should contact him , i'm sure he'd love to hear about your dilema on what sound system to spend a grand on. It'll take his mind of his silly little problem of loosing his job.
I thought the same thing. Unless the OP is giving us an object illustration of irony.
Old 08 March 2013, 12:44 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

I'd take the job - you can always move on - and you have witnessed that the company are happy to drop staff like a stone so you won't be labouring under any misapprehensions, so if a better offer comes up you can still go for it.
Old 08 March 2013, 01:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yea best not say thanks for the overtime thats going to buy you a new stereo lol.

Seriously though if he's a nice enough guy I woulden't give a toss about what the company say, bit of a shame this has happened but like you say its survival of the strongest out there..
Yeah, take the guy (and his Mrs?) out for dinner. And don't be so prissy about what the company think. You're not even an employee.

dl
Old 08 March 2013, 08:18 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
We had to let a guy go due to poor performance*...on two occassions he 'forgot' to torque up wheel nuts on people's cars.

Parrot Asteroid looks good Had a play with a Pioneer app radio and thats nice too.

But neither have DAB, and still choice for DAB in the aftermarket is bit limted IMO. I really really would like to see better choice and some nicer looking DAB head units (the current crop of DAB head units look a bit chavvy )

*He now works at a tyre fitters
DAB doesn't work properly on the move. I've got it in the Merc, it's always going off.
Old 09 March 2013, 10:30 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I'd expect no less if and when I get the bullet.

It was a bit of an eye opener to me as I've always been a contractor. I've never witnessed a long term permy get binned before.

No-one gives a ****.

I'm used to being in and out of roles and it is part of what I love about my life. This guy is company thru and thru. The othe company people couldn't give a flying Fvck that he has gone. Doesn't seem very Christian to me but I do understand the thinking behind it.

In two minds

Like a lot of people have said here, you may freely keep in touch with this gentleman. You may also take that staff role in the company, if you need it. You can talk to him and explain that you were no part of any conspiracy in his uprooting.

We have had someone recently made reduntdant in one organisation. She is on Gardening Leave for next two weeks, so none of the staff is making contact with her; just in case there are any repercussions on either party (sensitive business, sensitive data etc.).

She left with a broken heart, and we understand her. So we will get in touch with her after she has finished her gardening. Luckily, she's streetwise, and had known of this redundancy coming towards her for a while, so she does have a new job to go to. We feel that we have developed a human contact with her, so we will remain in human touch with her.