Sponsored by:

Scoobs in Estoril 1000km Le Mans Series

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2001, 10:54 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I got tickets for the above, including paddock pass.

Race was on Sunday, timing was on Saturday. So we went on Saturday morning.

After watching the warm-up laps (well, cars going down the main straight; couldn't see any bends) for about 10 minutes and going deaf, plus freezing our bits off, we asked to go in the paddock. No way, only after 2.30pm (ie when it's all over for the day). This was at 11am. So we wandered over to the nearby shopping centre to kill time.

Came back at 3pm and allowed into the paddock to see a group of VIPs being given rides round the track in an Audi RS4 (Audi were one of the sponsors). Asked, but our tickets weren't exclusive enough.

Nevertheless had a chance to realise that the Steward's car was a new WRX. So was the Clerk's. Asked one of the track crew if we could have a ride in that? He mumbled, went off to get a colleague. Colleague started explaining, no, sorry, very busy …. Until I added that I had an older model Impreza Turbo and had just sold it, loved it, wanted another. And lo! the fog was lifted! Big friendly chat ensued, with Nuno (Portuguese) telling me he was a member of the SIDC and is writing an article for True Grip all about how Estoril use Scoobs for their track support; they have Foresters as rescue cars, etc. I had to wait 30 mins, but then was passengered around Estoril in his own MY00 at the expense of a few mm of rubber , despite 3 on the back seat and rain just starting, and given a big welcome back next time! And while waiting, one of the others even took out my 12yr old for a front-seat lap in the MY01!

So a big thanks to Nuno and his colleagues, and ladies and gentlemen, if you are in Lisbon at some point, there might be someone available to open doors next time!

BJH
Old 18 July 2001, 07:38 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

ello Brendan mate - watched the race live on sky sports on Sunday.....the Euro Le Mans series looks like being a good 'un.... did u see any of the De Richebourg accident when he twatted the Audi R8?? Monumental aint the word - luckily the marshalls who were 2ft away were unscathed and Tom C walked out of the car unhurt...