Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tax Avoidance again...

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2013, 09:21 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tax Avoidance again...

...except, unlike foreign firms like Starbucks, Amazon and Google which have been lambasted by the media, a British firm doing the same goes largely unreported. Rolls Royce, despite making a pre-tax profit of £1.4bn, paid absolutely no corporation tax last year and neither did it the year before. I know tax avoidance is a real bugbear for some on here so how come Rolls Royce allowed to get away with it?
Old 05 March 2013, 09:51 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I for one am boycotting them. I'm not going to buy ANY Rolls-Royces until they start paying tax
Old 05 March 2013, 09:56 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've cancelled my phantom since finding out about this
Old 05 March 2013, 10:04 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

If we're talking about Rolls Royce, the British company, surely this has nothing to do with car manufacturing?
Old 05 March 2013, 10:08 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
If we're talking about Rolls Royce, the British company, surely this has nothing to do with car manufacturing?
Exactly, you'd have to sell a lot of Phantoms to make $1.4bn profit a year!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21661506
Old 05 March 2013, 10:15 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Fair point - I'll boycot buying any private jets with their engines then!
Old 05 March 2013, 10:22 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Yup, and the ******* tax man will chase us plebs from John O'Groats to Lands End for a measly fiver while these massive companies get away scot free, sheer crazy!
Old 05 March 2013, 10:40 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Yup, and the ******* tax man will chase us plebs from John O'Groats to Lands End for a measly fiver while these massive companies get away scot free, sheer crazy!
Why not play the same game? Get yourself a good accountant and minimise your tax.
Old 05 March 2013, 11:10 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Why not play the same game? Get yourself a good accountant and minimise your tax.
Easy to say, but in practice these megabucks dodges used by big corporations only work because of out-of-date cross-border tax rules, meaning they're out of reach for anyone without a multinational presence.
Old 06 March 2013, 07:08 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Plus you then don't have to moan about the way the government is wasting your tax - bonus!
Old 06 March 2013, 07:18 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

But They Are Paying Something, National Insurance For Every One The Employ In The UK, And Don't Forget They Are Actually Making A Real Product Not A Cup Of Coffee!
Old 06 March 2013, 08:38 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Project I'm working on is being managed out of Switzerland, not saying who I work for though
Old 06 March 2013, 08:54 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray T
But They Are Paying Something, National Insurance For Every One The Employ In The UK, And Don't Forget They Are Actually Making A Real Product Not A Cup Of Coffee!
So you're advocating a 0% corporate tax rate?
Old 06 March 2013, 09:05 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

They also have huge VAT liabilities every quarter too.
Old 06 March 2013, 09:06 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Funny enough due to most of my work coming from agencies I'm on the brink of setting up as a limited company..
Old 06 March 2013, 10:20 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray T
Well at least Starbucks "volunteered" to pay the £8m to the Treasury, though the plebs that protested inside and outside of Starbucks probably don't realise they're a franchise and so affected the business of the staff at that particular branch who do pay their taxes fairly.

However, I don't see reports of the same plebs protesting in Derby outside RR HQ.
Old 06 March 2013, 12:23 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

If this is Rolls Royce engines - the aerospace division, I Believe most of their sales are exports to large Aircraft companies like Quantus/Airbus and they will still pay lots of tax, just not to the UK. At least they employ plenty of people and will be paying into the pot that way, as well as actually still producing something decent from the UK.

Its not that long ago I recall they paid a £100m fine for the grounding of some aircraft due to an engine safety issue. things like that will eat into your tax bill nicely. LOL

No arguments from me that it seems odd that they pay NO Tax, but its unlikely to be as cut and dried as Joe Bloggs on the dole will like to make out.

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 06 March 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07 March 2013, 11:12 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

"No man in the country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel in his stores. The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde

Nuff said...
Old 07 March 2013, 11:31 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

+1.

Emphasis on Honestly.
Old 07 March 2013, 12:25 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Shall we create lots of threads about companies not breaking the law????........The words 'tax avoidance' are used liked they are a crime. Not a crime at all, just smart accounting and knowledge of tax laws.
Old 07 March 2013, 01:21 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Graz
Project I'm working on is being managed out of Switzerland, not saying who I work for though
nestle by any chance lol, they don't pay a penny uk tax either. and in another 20 or so years will of raped the yanks of water from the great lakes
Old 07 March 2013, 02:02 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
If this is Rolls Royce engines - the aerospace division, I Believe most of their sales are exports to large Aircraft companies like Quantus/Airbus and they will still pay lots of tax, just not to the UK. At least they employ plenty of people and will be paying into the pot that way, as well as actually still producing something decent from the UK.

Its not that long ago I recall they paid a £100m fine for the grounding of some aircraft due to an engine safety issue. things like that will eat into your tax bill nicely. LOL

No arguments from me that it seems odd that they pay NO Tax, but its unlikely to be as cut and dried as Joe Bloggs on the dole will like to make out.

This ^^^

RR will contribute significantly to the UK economy, notwithstanding that the group is not apparently contributing to the Treasury by way of corporation tax. As do Amazon, Starbucks and all.
Old 07 March 2013, 02:08 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Easy to say, but in practice these megabucks dodges used by big corporations only work because of out-of-date cross-border tax rules, meaning they're out of reach for anyone without a multinational presence.
Precisely. It is a completely anti competitive practice. Amazon can do it. But can the independent book store? Of course not.

What is required is a tax on internal sales or transfers. It would stop EU countries being used as "manufacturing centres" and the sale being counted as outside the EU because the company has done an internal sale to the sales company in Switzerland.