Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Food for thought...............

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2002, 09:03 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

My apologies for it not being entirely Scooby related, but I am sure a lot of you remember the thread I started when I announced that my sister, who is a Downs Syndrome person, had successfully secured 17 weeks worth of work experience at Safeway.

This Wednesday was her last day. As far as I can gather, it went tremendously well and the staf love her. We are not sure if Safeway are going to consider keeping her on in a permanent part time position, but we have our fingers crossed.

The question that I would like to put to you is this:

Knowing that Safeway have employed a person with special needs, would this sway your decision to shop there?

My answer - yes, I now shop at Safeways.

Your thoughts would be most welcome on this subject.

All the best,

Michelle.
Old 16 May 2002, 09:13 PM
feathers
Scooby Regular

Just because some of us are special - that should not deter employers nor the shoppers.

We are all equal, God loves us all.
Old 16 May 2002, 09:21 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Knowing that Safeway have employed a person with special needs, would this sway your decision to shop there?
Yes. I used to shop in Safeways myself before they changed it to Co-op.
Old 16 May 2002, 09:33 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

'Chelle, nothing personal, but no it wouldn't sway where I shopped.

I'll always shop where I can get the best value and tastiest food

Might be different if someone got refused as an employee for a reason beyond their control. Obviously, the place is a business and they are there to make money, but it's nice to see somewhere giving people the chance and judging purely on their ability to the job Well done to your sis and I hope she enjoyed it (and still has the chance to do so).
Old 16 May 2002, 09:35 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Yes, Chelle

Many companies are at last starting to realise that we don't base all our shopping decisions on which is the cheapest. In a competitive market, it is companies that make the little bit of extra effort that will reap the rewards.

I wonder what effect it had on fellow staff and on the shoppers by having someone special working there.

Your original post changed my atitude to supermarket workers. It used to be normal to joke about the grade of staff that work in supermarkets but your post made me think twice and question my attitude. I hope you understand what I mean.

I hope she is able to build on this initial start.

Well done Safeways
Old 16 May 2002, 09:51 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well done to Safeways!

(I always shop there anyway, and it's not even the cheapest in Hinckley.)

Old 16 May 2002, 09:57 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm glad to hear it hopefully others will follow on from it
Old 16 May 2002, 10:09 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Not sure michelle to be honest. I would like to see more people with special needs catered for in general though so we dont have this kind of discusion at all.

I lost my rag with some people at work yesterday on a similar note. We have a cleaner who obviously has some mental disability as she talks to herself all the time, quite loud too. Anyway, i was in the lift and these fellow workers were just taking the ****. I think i educated them a bit!!

Instead of taking the **** people like that should be admired for having the guts to get a job as they are well aware they have disabilities/illnesses.

The more joe public is exposed to people less fortunate than themsleves the beter, i dont think people realise how normal it is to have a disability of some kind.

Best of luck to your sister!
Old 16 May 2002, 10:38 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I think it's great what Safeway have done for your sis and hope she can carry on but then my mum, sister in law, her mum, ex gf and several good mates work at Tesco, who also employ disabled people....

Besides which, I leave the shopping to my dad and there isn't a Safeway for miles

Bob

PS, I don't like the term disabled but didn't know what else to put
Old 16 May 2002, 10:42 PM
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Safeway

Hope she gets a permanent contract with them

But, Did young Boo try any of the other big stores,ie Tesco or Asda ? as i would be interested in how they treated her as a possible employee.

Old 16 May 2002, 11:26 PM
JimmyY
Scooby Regular

No (and nothing personal here) but I used to work for the b*****ds for 4 years to pay my way through college and uni. They had awful managers (started out good, but they all moved on), and used to s**t on people from great heights.

But good on your sis and I'm glad to hear she enjoyed it (makes the world of difference if the people you work with don't have their heads up their own *****!)

Jim

PS If i had staff discount again though might think again about it!!!
Old 16 May 2002, 11:47 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

I hope they keep her on.

M.
Old 17 May 2002, 12:00 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

'Chelle,

I don't even know where my nearest Safeway is (it's not close) but even if there was one close, I'm not sure if this would make me change anyway, I'm just undecided.

Bob,
I don't like the term disabled but didn't know what else to put
Well, in my experience, "Disabled" is the prefered term that Disabled people prefer to the rather old fashioned "Handicapped". In fact, Disabled is about the nicest term that Disabled people use to describe themselves......

Matt
Old 17 May 2002, 12:02 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm just glad it all went well.

I'm sure alot of people will have changed their attitudes (sp?) changed to some who are just a little bit different in some way.

WELL DONE.

Ian
Old 17 May 2002, 12:10 AM
chopper
Scooby Regular

I think most of the big chains are doing something towards promoting this type of issue. Obviously a lot of us on scoobynet have a bit of a personal interest in this , but as to where we choose to shop I would argue is still largely dictated by convenience and price. Unless you have a Sainsburys, Tescos and Safeways all on the same strip, I don't think it would be in the thoughts of most of us, even though given the wonderful story you told a few months back

Good Luck...
Old 17 May 2002, 12:34 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Michelle,

You might remember we had this conversation when we met.

The answer is YES I do shop at Safeways as a direct result of your original thread.

I had a Saturday job at Safeways when I was still at school and I have to say I didn't rate them particularly highly as an employer, but your sister's story has made me see them in a new light.

Hopefully they will offer her a permanent position, but even if they don't, I hope this positive experience will provide a good basis for her future goals.

Please pass on my best wishes.

Rich
Old 17 May 2002, 01:09 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey guys

Thank you so much for your replies so far.......

I want your honest thoughts and opinions as feedback

Michelle
Old 17 May 2002, 01:30 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Chelle, i couldn't even tell you where my nearest safeways is lol.
I think IMHO that it would not sway me as my tesco is just across the road from me (pure laziness!!) however i think that it is excellent that they have employed your sister as many other employers would not (PIGS!) My girlfriend teaches disabled children up to the age of 17 and is always complaining about the lack of companies willing to offer work experience to her pupils.
I think the bottom line is if a person is able to carry out a task then it should not matter if they are disabled or not!!
Good luck to your sis...
Anyway back to the question
Old 17 May 2002, 07:23 AM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Michelle

Could she get a staff discount if we organize a group buy for crisps etc????

Maybe Razorblades,they cost us a fortune!!

Good luck for her future

Luke
Old 17 May 2002, 07:45 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

michelle, probably yes... it does alter your perception of the store in question - and it's always nice to see a wide variety of people (sex, race, religion, ability etc.) in any store. Culturally stimulating really, makes you a wiser chap/chapess.

besides which, safeway do sell simply the best chocolate digestives in the known world..!

hope all turns out well
Old 17 May 2002, 07:59 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Michelle,

Even if i could shop at Safeway i'm not sure this good news would sway my choice of shop. I think it is normal for most people to shop where it is most convenient, whether near home or office. I think this convenience may also have more influence than the prices inside.

Just my thoughts, for good or bad. Good luck to your sister!

bss
Old 17 May 2002, 08:06 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It wouldn't sway me i'm afraid. Our local Sainsburys has certain special staff.

But as LUKE said, group buy on razorblades (MACH3) would be a good idea...

Dom
Old 17 May 2002, 08:19 AM
scooby-babe
BANNED

Michelle,

This is really good news, it could sway me to shop their periodically. Unfortunately, their is not one in the area where I live and I am all for convenience.
Old 17 May 2002, 08:30 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

Afraid to say that while it is great to hear that companies like Safeway give opportunities to people that other companies may not, I don't think it would sway my decision to shop there - other reasons influence that like the convenience, product range etc.

Glad to hear though that everything went well for your sister. Fingers crossed that something more permanent comes up.
Old 17 May 2002, 08:55 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

'chelle - it would certainly make a diference to where I shop, ethics of a company are very important to alot of people and if I saw a store making an effort it would encourage me to go back, just as if you see arrogant and unhelpful people within the store you assume the shop doesn't really care about making an effort for the customers...just MHO though!

Anyway, best of luck for your sister, my step-sister is mentally and physically lessable and she's got a job with her friends stuffing pillows (yeah, I know it's not quite the same!!) but she loves it and it seems to have had a really positive effect on her. Best of luck for your sister in the future, and if something comes of it pass on my congratualtions!

Jen
Old 17 May 2002, 08:56 AM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

I wish your sister the best of luck either at Safeway or elsewhere.

I don't know if it would make me go out of my way to shop there, but if there were two store close by I might choose to shop at Safeway having heard this story.

Antway - Again , Good luck to her
Old 17 May 2002, 09:31 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

'Chelle - well done to Boo for what she has achieved thus far. TBH I nearly always shopat Safeway's as they currently offer 5p off per litre of fuel if you spend £20 in the shop, which is a fair saving, really.

The Safeway's near me isn't the most convenient or the nearest as there is a Sainsbury's literally 1/4 mile from my door step, if that. I just prefer the atmosphere in Safeway's, if that makes any sense...
Old 17 May 2002, 09:40 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Michelle

My local Safeway and Sainsbury's employ people with special needs and its nice to see that these companies often have put these people on the front line AND WITH HUGE SUCCESS.

Wifey and I shop at both and as well as at Tesco's.

Old 17 May 2002, 01:56 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

If I were to say

"I will actively shop at Safeway because they employ disabled people" most people wouldn’t bat an eye lid

But

If I turn round and say:

"I'm going to actively avoid shopping there because they employ disabled people " most people would have a fit and call me all the names under the sun.

It makes no difference to me if a retail outlet employs disabled people, gay people, black people, white people whatever. If they've got what I want at the price I want then I'll shop there.

Mike

[Edited by RB170 - 5/17/2002 2:08:41 PM]
Old 17 May 2002, 02:01 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Have to say I totally agree with Mike.

Bored bunch of people waiting to lambast someone who posts something you don't like after you set them up to express their quite possibly valid opinion.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Food for thought...............