Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving to Disney land Paris for the first time advice please

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2013, 10:30 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving to Disney land Paris for the first time advice please

we are taking our 3 year old daughter to disney in 2 weeks for her 4th birthday but i have never even driven on the wrong side of the road before so im looking for some advice and what to take with us
what do i need in the car
also i have heard there are places in France near the terminals where you can get cheep wine
iv been told you can take your own containers and have them filled is this true
also any advice on general tips would help
thanks ian
Old 24 February 2013, 11:37 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Don't bother, go to Florida, for the full on Disney experience it's cheeper and better.
Old 24 February 2013, 11:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You need your license (both parts), insurance cert and a green card, hi-vis jacket for each occupant (in car, not boot), warning triangle, and two or more disposable breath test kits. Spare bulbs are advised.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nce-monaco.pdf

If you have a camera detector or even a POI database on a sat-nav which warns you of potential camera sites, get rid of it. Stick to the limits and behave. Lots of new cameras going up all the time, unsigned, and signs for the older ones are being removed. They are BIG on speeding, but as usual, speed isn't the issue, just the p!$$ poor attitude of most French drivers with oblivious arrogance that their actions might affect or inconvenience others. They will wind you up, just take a deep breath and let it go.

Buy wine in any supermarket, 'Carrefour' are good and often stock 10 litre boxes for about €17-19, so 13 bottles for about £15-17. I don't know if the prices are better near the ports or not, but I would expect the French to hike up the prices a little to scam the Brits at any opportunity. We bought near my mates in Limousin, well away from the ports.
Old 24 February 2013, 11:50 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's around a 3 and a half hour drive from Calais, don't forget some cash for the tolls.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Rou...emnite=&vh=CAR
Old 25 February 2013, 07:11 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just take a string of onions... a flat cap and NUFC shirt... youll fit right in
Old 25 February 2013, 08:53 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It's easy if you're in a flow of traffic, the 'difficult' bit is when you end up at some traffic lights or junction with nothing to follow. Just take a few extra moments to think which side of the road you're supposed to be using and you'll be fine. IMO of course
Old 25 February 2013, 08:58 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Don't bother, go to Florida, for the full on Disney experience it's cheeper and better.
+1 had a bad experience as all the main rides were closed when i went. Although kids love it so wouldnt worry to much. Just annoying that everything is in French but then you are in France i guess.

Food and drink isnt cheap there so be prepared to pay a small fortune for that, Disney village does have some good places to eat though.

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2013, 08:59 AM
RandyWanger
Scooby Regular

Nice racist comments on here some good advice from corradoboy. One thing that might throw you off is we have a 'priority adroit' rule, which makes sense if you're in the UK but in France, it's the opposite of what you think should happen.
http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/priority-a-droite.htm
Breathalyser law is just about to come in from March too.
Old 25 February 2013, 09:20 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Not too racist i hope, wouldn't want to start an international incident.... and it's not like the French to despise the very sight of and Englishman...
Old 25 February 2013, 09:22 AM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

+2 Maybe not the cheaper part though.

My friend went last year and said the staff (not implying the French before anyone jumps on their high horse) at Disney Land were so rude. He was very disappointed.
Old 25 February 2013, 09:25 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

It's a piece of **** mate. The motorways are a pleasure (as far as motorways can be a pleasure, anyway) services every 10 miles or so.
Remember the French give way to people coming onto the motorway from the slip road.

Disneyland itself is cracking. Expensive, yes, but hey your daughter will love it and that's all that matters.
Old 25 February 2013, 11:14 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

+1 on the ease of driving there. The roads are empty and an absolute pleasure. It will feel strange for about 5 mins and then it's normal. Most dangerous time is after a stop or in the at the start of a day as you're all relaxed and could forget where you are/ which side of the road etc.

Re the racism - lets even it up; I prefer France as at least it's not full of incredibly fat, badly dressed and dense yanks saying "have a good day y'all" every 5 mins even though they clearly would rather pull their assault rifles from under their ill fitting Walmart clothes and murder you and the nearest innocent children/ people....
Old 25 February 2013, 01:32 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saints_forever

My friend went last year and said the staff (not implying the French before anyone jumps on their high horse) at Disney Land were so rude. He was very disappointed.
I agree with the Florida bit, just make sure you go when its not stormy season.

I've been to Disneyland Paris albeit 5 years ago, I thought it was very expensive for food/drinks in the park.
I didn't think the staff were all that friendly, but not rude.
Old 25 February 2013, 01:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Having driven from the Midlands to Northern Spain via France in the space of 12hours, getting to Disney should be a piece of p*ss.

Corrodoboy has it summed up, the speed cameras and mobile traps can be pretty sneaky. Take bulbs, vis jacket (one each) and breath testers and turn off the camera warnings on the sat nav.

Fuel is more expensive on the toll routes, so best to fill up in the towns.

This is the official website for finding cheap fuel....http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/
its in French, but you can find your way around it. Stick it as a favourite on your samrtphone and it'll use your geo-location to find the cheapest petrol station from where you are standing.

In Calais, fuel from Carrefore or Intermarche is usually cheapest. Unless you are a fuel snob and don't like supermarket fuel, in which case I can't help you . Most pumps are self service and pay at pump, so make sure your credit card works ok.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 February 2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: link didn't paste
Old 25 February 2013, 01:47 PM
stonefish
Scooby Regular

As Pete and Fat Boy said.. I thought it was great driving out there, and dare i say it the French were more considerate with there driving and the only lane hoggers were the British (sorry but true)
I drove the Scooby there and back from the Midlands and it cost less than a £200 (I can spend that on a run out to Wales).. They say the Fuel is cheaper off the motorway but i couldnt be bothered with that..
:As for Disney Land... Its F@@king Amazing we all loved it my lad was 4years (we went last year june) the food is great and there is so much to do we will deff be going again..
: The French we found them very helpful and friendly (just say Bonjour & Merci and they see you are trying Its only the same as we are here)
: We didnt find it expensive for eating drinks or snacks but the disney toys are..
I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did ....
Old 25 February 2013, 06:02 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saints_forever

I can guarantee I will have a cheaper 2 weeks in Florida than you will have in Paris.
And once the Yanks get in that "have a nice day" mode you just can't shake them out of it. I have tried to **** them off as a tester and they just keep on smiling that big toothy smile
Old 25 February 2013, 09:03 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I can guarantee I will have a cheaper 2 weeks in Florida than you will have in Paris.
And once the Yanks get in that "have a nice day" mode you just can't shake them out of it. I have tried to **** them off as a tester and they just keep on smiling that big toothy smile
Bollox!
Old 25 February 2013, 09:07 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Bollox!
Ok then, carry on shelling out your Euros and getting ripped off by the great European Union.
Old 25 February 2013, 09:15 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I've been to Florida for the past two years and flights for the four of us have cost the best part of 4k per trip, how you planning on getting there, swimming?

Nik

Last edited by nik52wrx; 25 February 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 25 February 2013, 09:21 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

I want what you're smoking! Find us a link for the best price for Florida then and we'll compare.....
Old 25 February 2013, 10:04 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

When we went to France we had to have a fire extinguisher in the car too and if the bulb kit is now mandatory. Don't forget to get headlight converters to switch the beam from one side to the other
Old 26 February 2013, 06:45 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I've been to Florida for the past two years and flights for the four of us have cost the best part of 4k per trip, how you planning on getting there, swimming?

Nik
4 GRAND!!!!!
What were you flying on, the space shuttle

A fool and his money are easily parted.
Old 26 February 2013, 07:01 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

So Mr Madman, give us a breakdown of your trip to the US then.
Old 26 February 2013, 07:16 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
So Mr Madman, give us a breakdown of your trip to the US then.
Easy, don't go on Virgin Airlines, just hype, no better than Ryanair.
Don't go during darling little Jonny's school holidays.
And if you have a little Jonny, take him out of school, it won't damage him and he will be better for the experience.
Avoid the urge to spend thousands in search of the 'dream holiday'
Use cheap hotels and use the Disney resort areas (not parks) to take advantage of first class facilities - for free, just flash the passport and put on your best English routine., they love us!
And finally, have a daughter that's air crew
Old 26 February 2013, 07:31 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Virgin Atlantic, Manchester to Orlando direct. If you can get me a direct flight from Manchester cheaper with a reputable airline please show me how.

Nik

4 GRAND!!!!!
What were you flying on, the space shuttle

A fool and his money are easily parted.
Old 26 February 2013, 07:34 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

What a load of rubbish.

Who do you fly with?

How do you get past resort security without a pass, flash your passport

I bet you've never even been out of the uk

And if you have a little Jonny, take him out of school, it won't damage him and he will be better for the experience.
Use cheap hotels and use the Disney resort areas (not parks) to take advantage of first class facilities - for free, just flash the passport and put on your best English routine., they love us!
Old 26 February 2013, 08:07 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
What a load of rubbish.

Who do you fly with?

How do you get past resort security without a pass, flash your passport

I bet you've never even been out of the uk

You carry on laughing mate, and i will be doing the same...............in Florida.
Old 26 February 2013, 08:10 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I very much doubt it.

You carry on laughing mate, and i will be doing the same...............in Florida.
Old 27 February 2013, 09:56 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

don't go on Virgin Airlines, just hype, no better than Ryanair.
I haven't been in Virgin economy class in fairness, only premium, but I'd be inclined to disagree with your statement.
Old 27 February 2013, 10:19 AM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Virgin Airlines = one of the best airlines to fly with! No problem with the service. And for the crew/staff, they have very strict rules and regimes they have to follow right down to make up, jewellery and hair (more so than the other airlines), hence why most want to work for Virgin as it looks great on your résumé.

After a very quick search, for a week stay for Disney Land Paris, I've found a total cost of £1199 for a family of 2 adults and 2 children - £514 for a 4 day ticket, £685 for flights, transfer and accommodation for a week.

If you can find flights to Florida for less than that Id be surprised. Plus if anything I've made it more expensive by adding flights to even the trips out rather than driving.