My daughters boyfriend is soon to be leaving school
And he's been given two choices
(1) go to agricultural college
(2) an apprenticeship in a body shop

He has an interest in both cars and animals
And seems a hands on type of lad
His mum wants him to go into agriculture
And for some reason sees the body shop route is a bit of a dead end career

My personal opinion is anyone who's willing to learn and is good with their hands will always find work
But that said I've heard the body shop trade is a little down at the moment
As is farming I would imagine

Also what sort of wage is to be expected as a body shop employee in the East Midlands ?
Same goes for working in agriculture ?

Any thoughts or comments will passed on to the lad

Tony
Old 11 February 2013, 10:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Quite diverse choices aernt they?!

I'd imagine he'll never be out work when there's cars involved

Both my parents went agricultural, degree mind...
Old 11 February 2013, 10:40 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah pretty different career paths for sure
I know a little about the body shop trade , but very little about agriculture

So I can't really give the lad any unbiased advice
Old 11 February 2013, 10:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Actually I know a sprayer ended up doing very well his own set up, must done well cos he'd bought his motor yacht and retired quite early , I'm fairly sure he was still pushing his boys hard mind.

My ole man and me mum got out of agricultural almost before they started and he joined Unilever selling animal feed to the ruskkies, before he had some kind mental breakdown
Old 11 February 2013, 10:50 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

IMHO , I think his mums being a little harsh saying a sprayers a dead end job
I don't really want to influence him either way ( I'm not his parents )
Just wanted to try and give him some pros and cons for both his options
Old 11 February 2013, 10:54 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem you have at the moment in the car industry is work,

The is a massive reduction In work being provided to body shops, be it insurance or non approved.

While I don't think it's a dead end job the money isn't as readily available as it was, insurance have seen to that as we the body shop get screwed on price left, right and centre,

There's currently an influx of unemployed panel beaters/painters due to redundancy
Old 11 February 2013, 11:02 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Yes I heard that on here , black venom posted about it a few weeks ago
Maybe it's not a long term down turn , who knows ?
Old 11 February 2013, 11:03 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough one this, if the body shop was a well known and respected one and the lad wanted to give it a real good go and was keen to learn ( natural ability will also help) then I would be tempted to try and make a go of it.

I know a few young lads that come from farming backgrounds who have all went to agricultural college and other than a few who have stayed on their families farms etc with limited wages most have went onto do other things including the youngin who works with us as an apprentice bricky just now

Mick
Old 11 February 2013, 11:08 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Been like this for 3 yrs so far lol,

The problem you have is will the guy stand the wages, apprentice get about £70 a week when they go collage, then when they qualify they expect £8-12 per hour, reality is there still not really skilled, may have paper to say so, but not really. And the act there are so many highly skilled people out of work they will work at £8phr just to have a job, so it's not always easy to take an apprentice on.
Old 11 February 2013, 11:09 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Motor trade is fooked with fixed cost repairs. Best thing I ever done getting out of painting cars. Money is rubbish even at high end garages. Advise against it!! Everyone I know in the trade still wants out. And it's not just the typical sick of your job wanting out its the fact they hate there jobs with a passion for how the trade has changed over the last 5 years. I worked in some of the biggest insurance approved bodyshops in Newcastle. So I can offer this advice with first hand knowledge.
Old 11 February 2013, 11:12 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

The body shop is local and I've seen some quality cars in there f360 and the like , so I'm guessing they must be trusted

The lad is pretty much like me , not the sharpest tool in the box , but likes getting his hands dirty , taking stuff to bits so I personally think he would be more suited to the motor trade

I don't know what or where you progress to in agriculture , and what it takes academically
Old 11 February 2013, 11:13 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Everything is bugg*red really isn't it.

I'm gonna keep playing the lottery!

Mick
Old 11 February 2013, 11:24 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Not sounding good on the paint front then ,

If I was the lads parents I would have concerns that if he went into agriculture he would just spend most of his time as just a labourer

I'm guessing if you're parents own a farm then the future might not be too bad
But as an employee I can't see it being great

But I'm totally guessing because like I say have no knowledge about it
Old 11 February 2013, 11:35 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Well from what I understand farming isn't that lucrative anymore is it. Unless you lie in emmerdale where they all have brand new rangys haha. If he gets a trade behind him I suppose does open into other places. I work offshore now as a blaster/sprayer. So always a chance to move on.
Old 12 February 2013, 12:00 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I'm a farmer but not sure if I can be much help really to be honest.

My Dad owns a large successful poultry farm which he took over from my Grandfather and further expanded it. I went to University to get a degree (Criminology), and now work on the farm as a farm manager (with a proper salary), and gradually take on more roles. I've been working on the family farm for over 2 years now and throughly enjoy it. However, if it wasn't for it being a family business, I'm not sure I would be here.

Another good thing is that because I live near to the farm (1 minute walk away), on our 'not-so-busy-periods', I can simply walk home and take it easy.

I think it would be a lot more difficult if you went to work on someone else's farm, or a big farming business. Our previous manager left to go traveling (I took his place), and 2 years later after his travelling, he manages a large broiler farm and get's a good salary, so it can work.

Last edited by LSherratt; 12 February 2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12 February 2013, 12:00 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp
Well from what I understand farming isn't that lucrative anymore is it. Unless you lie in emmerdale where they all have brand new rangys haha. If he gets a trade behind him I suppose does open into other places. I work offshore now as a blaster/sprayer. So always a chance to move on.
I know what you mean , at least the lads thinking about doing something , and as you say no matter what ,while ever your out there working there's always a chance of an opening to something new
As opposed to sitting on your **** thinking the world owes em a living

I think to start any career in this day and age and expect it to be a long and rewarding one is a bit of a tall order

Seems no matter what he chooses its a gamble
Old 12 February 2013, 12:04 AM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

only thing with farming is you're only on good money if you own the farm, if he just turns out to be a farm hand he'll be on minimum wage, worked like a horse and will be just about a cripple by the time he's in his 50's
Old 12 February 2013, 12:06 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

If you are employed onto a small farm as a "handy-man" type guy, then yes, it's going to be crap..

If you are employed on a large farm or farming business managing multiple farms where you are involved in all the paper work, auditing, estate management, livestock and feed management etc, then I would suggest that would be the best route.
Old 12 February 2013, 12:11 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I'm a farmer but not sure if I can be much help really to be honest.

My Dad owns a large successful poultry farm which he took over from my Grandfather and further expanded it. I went to University to get a degree (Criminology), and now work on the farm as a farm manager (with a proper salary), and gradually taking on more roles. I've been working on the family farm for over 2 years now I throughly enjoy it. However, if it wasn't for it being a family business, I'm not sure I would be here.

Another good thing is that because I live near to the farm (1 minute walk away), on our 'not-so-busy-periods', I can simply walk home and take it easy.

I think it would be a lot more difficult if you went to work on someone else's farm, or a big farming business. Our previous manager left to go traveling (I took his place), and 2 years later after his travelling, it manages a large broiler farm and get's a good salary, so it can work.
I suppose there's two ways to look at it
For some folk financial reward is secondary to persuing a career they enjoy

I know a lot of people no matter what , would not work in a factory / indoor environment for all the money in the world
Old 12 February 2013, 12:15 AM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

If you are employed onto a small farm as a "handy-man" type guy, then yes, it's going to be crap..

If you are employed on a large farm or farming business managing multiple farms where you are involved in all the paper work, auditing, estate management, livestock and feed management etc, then I would suggest that would be the best route.
not a dig at you in anyway so don't take it the wrong way

i'm from pembrokeshire which must be 90% farming unless you own your own farm or you are a family member to the owners you'll be worked to the bone for pittance, i've seen it a thousand times over

best bet unless he has family in that trade would be to go on the silage contracting, long hours but (down here at least) isn't bad money, but of course is seasonal
Old 12 February 2013, 12:23 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

So the poor lads in for a hard time either way

I think I would go with the paint shop ,

Btw forgot to mention , I suppose this is more of a short term issue
But if he chooses college he's got to travel from Nottingham to Lincoln ( or get digs there )
The paint shop is just round the corner from his house
Old 12 February 2013, 12:24 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I can't really comment on how hard you'd be worked if you worked for someone else, apart from that our previous farm manager now manages a large broiler farm with normal mon-fri hours and is on an average salary. Could be a minority, I don't know?

Also, a bit different, but has he thought about being a feed rep or a nutritionist for animal feed? I would imagine you'd defiantly need a degree for that, but the nutritionist for the animal feed company where we purchase ours from is on a very good wage.... He helped formulate our feed when we switched companies, and he was quite hands on with it, e.g, visiting the farms and looking at the livestock and other issues.

Last edited by LSherratt; 12 February 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12 February 2013, 12:28 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

I can't really comment on how hard you'd be worked if you worked for someone else, apart from that our previous farm manager now manages a large broiler farm with normal mon-fri hours and is on an average salary. Could be a minority, I don't know?

Also, a bit different, but has he thought about being a feed rep or a nutritionist for animal feed? I would imagine you'd defiantly need a degree for that, but the nutritionist for the animal feed company where we purchase ours from is on a very good wage....
No disrespect to the lad , he's pretty much like me
Not very academic , I'm not saying he couldn't get a degree but , not that type , more of a dirty hands type , if you know what I mean
Old 12 February 2013, 12:29 AM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

what about mechanics? then try his level best to get on the AA / RAC, my cousins fella works for the AA everytime i see him he's parked up by the beach reading a paper for £35k a year

mind you he'll be busier up your neck of the woods
Old 12 February 2013, 12:31 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know, slightly like me then too

In my opinion, with modern farming, you need to be slightly academic anyway these days. You wouldn't believe how much paper work gets passed around, emails, audits, etc to prepare and fill out, blah blah......
Old 12 February 2013, 12:43 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

My bro is a trained mechanic and I suggested that but he didn't seem fussed , which I thought a little odd seeing as he likes messing with motorbikes ,
Maybe it's because he's got two definates body shop /college

I know that he's been going round all the local garages with his cv ( pretty short one lol)
And he's not even left school yet , so the lads keen to get cracking , bless him
Old 12 February 2013, 07:53 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

My parents left agriculture , after their degrees. ( Wye college ) , worked a farm in the midlands ( had me ) and realised pretty quickly that estate managers jobs were more or less inherited and or for the elite
That's where their dream ended