Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2013, 10:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Benefits - limited to a 1% Rise

Just voted through in the Commons.

I would CUT benefits by 25%!!!

Labour are on a sticky wicket here indicating that they would restore the RPI link .... thereby rewarding those on benefits with higher rises than those in work

Last edited by pslewis; 21 January 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 21 January 2013, 10:38 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
Well done coalition on this one
Quoted in case he decides to edit later.
Old 21 January 2013, 10:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

What are you going on about?
Old 21 January 2013, 10:46 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Whats a benefit?
Old 21 January 2013, 10:48 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Sooner all benefits are gone te better....

Anyone seen botched bodies? Freeloaders getting £9k of work done on NHS for free all because they decided to get it done on the cheap in the first place..
Old 21 January 2013, 10:56 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Sooner all benefits are gone te better....

Anyone seen botched bodies? Freeloaders getting £9k of work done on NHS for free all because they decided to get it done on the cheap in the first place..
That's just wrong on so many levels, Who ever it is that's giving permission/authourising things like this should be made to explain.

Same with boob jobs/nose jobs etc etc.
Old 21 January 2013, 11:28 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I get the right program the 9 grand dental job would not have been done on the NHS

Shaun
Old 22 January 2013, 01:05 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Remove all benefits? Are you as stupid as that makes you sound?

Limiting benefit increases is popularist but it makes little real difference. Ten percent of next to f*ck-all is still next to f*ck-all and rises in the cost of food, travel and energy mean that people on the dole are poorer now than they were in the eighties or nineties, even after RPI linked rises, so people are hardly living it up.

The country is haemorrhaging money but DC is too touchy-feely to tackle the real issues.
Old 22 January 2013, 09:12 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

The way I look at it, benefits should not pay more than the point at which someone in work would start to pay tax. If the worker has enough to live on so the state can start to take tax away from then, then the person on benefits should be able to live on the same amount. Anything else is unfair and inconsistent.
Old 22 January 2013, 09:15 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Quoted in case he decides to edit later.
I bloody knew he'd edit that

Nurse must have sorted his medication out
Old 22 January 2013, 09:44 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Finding myself in the position where my family now needs Disability Living Allowance I'm no longer quite so inclined to complain about benefits and the costs involved.

I choose to believe that as my wife is unlikely to get to state pension age, she's having her contributions early.

What does still annoy me is those that have become ill due to lifestyle.
Old 22 January 2013, 09:52 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Its a no win situation TBH.

Almost everyone I know claims something. Off the top of my head I can only think of 3 friends who dont. 2 are single and have full time fairly well paid jobs, the other one probably could claim something but doesnt.

Everyone else, thats maybe 20-30 friends are claiming either child benefits, housing benefit, disability, job seekers etc. Some of them claim the whole lot! One of my "mates" told me his sister gets 17 different benefits?? Weather this is true or not I dont know, because I dont know the system but if thats the case the country is ***ked.

Most of them are basic rate tax payers, and several of them only work part time to keep their income below what effects their payments.

I know a couple of people who live in fairly nice houses, nice car, holidays etc but dont work. Everything is paid for with state handouts.

Then again I know people who work their behind off for minimum wage, have just enough to pay their rent and food and walk to work.

And thats just "normal" people - I am sure "pro" benefits claimants know how to milk the system for every last penny and probably beyond.

It would need such a huge change and it would affect so many people you wont find a govt that is willing to take the risk. And of course the ECHR would have a dicky mint fit.
Old 22 January 2013, 09:57 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Finding myself in the position where my family now needs Disability Living Allowance ...
Which is the fully justified and valid reasons to have a system in place.
The problem is soo many people abuse the system - as we all know.

If anything we should be paying the disabled and the sick more - a lot more.

But we cant, because we cant afford too... country is
Old 22 January 2013, 10:11 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i am afraid the narrarative has been set by people, who for their own ends, seek to dump the majority of the UK's problems on the poor

and what they are doing to disability allowance is a scandal - plain and simple

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 22 January 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 22 January 2013, 12:02 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

My wife is currently receiving more money than she did when she was working as a self employed hair dresser. She wasn't really taking a wage but she was doing something she loved. As she was pregnant she qualified for maternity allowance which is £270 a fortnight until July 2013. She gets the full DLA of £130 a week as well so at the moment she gets over a £1000 a month - sadly she is now almost immobile and can't spend it!

She would qualify for a motobility car and looking at the cars available it does make you wonder. Mini convertible, BMX X1, X3, all manner of Skoda, Ford etc etc. Now I'm not saying that disabled people can't enjoy themselves but what are all these cars doing on the list? Why not some bog standard 4 door hatch? After all it is supposed to be an added help to your condition not a perk of being ill.

Its a decent deal mind you, we give up her DLA and get a brand new 320d with pretty much everything paid for. But the cynic in me feels that its just the governments way of supporting the car industry in the UK by having disabled people pay for depreciation on new cars. She can't really drive and to be honest I'm not she how long she has so seems pointless to have this car that no one can drive and likely to be handed back in the not too distant future. Blue badge is useful though but thats about it.
Old 22 January 2013, 12:06 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

I know an MS sufferer who has recently been in receipt of a brand new Golf, for a small outlay, as part of his benefit. He has no mobility problems (currently) and lives in central London where there is little need for a car.

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 22 January 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 22 January 2013, 07:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Someone I know is getting paid over £1,000 a week for looking after her own child who has ME ....... now, I find that really odd.

Benefits should always mean that the receipiant struggles to make ends meet - so it encourages the same to get a job.
Old 22 January 2013, 11:42 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Someone I know is getting paid over £1,000 a week for looking after her own child who has ME ....... now, I find that really odd.

Benefits should always mean that the receipiant struggles to make ends meet - so it encourages the same to get a job.
I think you have an extra zero in there.
Old 23 January 2013, 12:05 AM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

Hi all,i know of a few couples who have two Yes two new houses they all get max amount of benefit each as their saying they have split up & kept one child each so they get the max,then they get a disability benefit on top of that someone who knows their family was saying their getting 40 ish grand a ear to live on now is that fair,as their thieving gits as well how much do they want,even their parents are in on it as they own one of the houses one of them says they live there, so they get that paid for as well,i cant understand how they get away with it,winds me right up.scum..
Old 23 January 2013, 12:39 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Motobility has to be one of the biggest benefits.
My mates been on it for years and is a genuine claimant
but if you are on the fiddle this has got to be worth a fortune!

You can pay extra to upgrade but here is an example of what you get for nowt:

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 5 door

A brand new car, powered wheelchair or scooter every three years, or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) every five years
Insurance, servicing and maintenance
Full breakdown assistance
Annual tax disc sent to you in the post
Replacement tyres (and batteries for scooters and wheelchairs)
Windscreen repair or replacement
60,000 mileage allowance over three years for cars; 100,000 for WAVs
Many adaptations at no extra cost
Two named drivers for your car

Any idea what that lot is worth in real terms?
Old 23 January 2013, 06:59 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugblue1
Hi all,i know of a few couples who have two Yes two new houses they all get max amount of benefit each as their saying they have split up & kept one child each so they get the max,then they get a disability benefit on top of that someone who knows their family was saying their getting 40 ish grand a ear to live on now is that fair,as their thieving gits as well how much do they want,even their parents are in on it as they own one of the houses one of them says they live there, so they get that paid for as well,i cant understand how they get away with it,winds me right up.scum..
shop them
Old 23 January 2013, 08:04 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Motability is a registered charity.

The people that have the cars have to pay for them out of their disability allowance, so it's not for nowt.

I don't think that scumbag claimants would prefer a car over money.

This discussion occurs constantly on our local radio station chat show.

Have a read of this article..

http://flashsays.com/2012/02/10/disa...yths-exploded/

What's the package worth? same as any lease car package like Peugeot's 'Just add fuel'

Last edited by Oldun; 23 January 2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 23 January 2013, 08:17 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/
Old 23 January 2013, 09:42 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

If this is true, and you don't report them, you are no better than they are. By doing nothing you are allowing this fraud to continue.
Old 23 January 2013, 09:47 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Report them.
Old 23 January 2013, 09:55 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I've looked into Motability although not in great detail.

You give up some or all of your DLA in return for a new car with pretty much everything paid for. DLA is in two parts - care (2 tiers) and mobility (3 tiers) if you are on the highest mobility tier then you qualify for the scheme.

I don't think its a bad scheme but it did surprise me the type of car that is available. If my wife gives up all of her DLA she could have a brand new Mini convertible - not the most practical car in the world.

We were talking about cars last night and she needs a car that she doesn't have to bend to get into and she also needs an auto. For instance we could give up all the DLA, pay a bit of money on top and get this

http://www.motabilityonline.co.uk/ca...age=carDetails

However, if her allowance is £524 a month and even though pretty much everything is paid for its still seems a bit expensive. I would need to be sure we wouldn't be better off getting a loan for nearly new car and paying the running costs ourselves - she would still get her free tax disc.
Old 23 January 2013, 11:11 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
I think you have an extra zero in there.
No, I am sure about it ... they get £1,000 a week carers allowance (or whatever it's called).
Old 23 January 2013, 11:21 AM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

This is just the tip of the iceberg,literally thousands if not more are doing it.
The problem is the DWP haven't enough staff to investigate it thus it continues to escalate ....
Old 23 January 2013, 11:30 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

No, I am sure about it ... they get £1,000 a week carers allowance (or whatever it's called).
check again

4k net a month, would put them well in the top 10% of earners

I simply do not believe it

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 23 January 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 23 January 2013, 11:32 AM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

That smells like bullshat to me ....

Quick Reply: Benefits - limited to a 1% Rise