Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

NTL Tv signal to 2 tv's?

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2002, 01:04 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have NTL cable pluged into the box that sits on the TV- i now need to be able to have a TV in the next room showing the same thing (for the kids) can i slit the signal?

TIggs

ps- it dont matter that if both TV's are on at the same time they will show the same thing- its so the kids can watch TV in the day in their room and i can watch TV later in my room.
Old 15 May 2002, 01:07 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

shouldn't be any problem. What are you using to connext the box to the TV at the minute?
Old 15 May 2002, 01:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

scart lead from NThell box into TV (new tv in other room also has scart socket)
Old 15 May 2002, 01:27 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Cool

There should be an aerial out too - just run that into the next room and tune a TV channel into it.

The the terestial channels you have 2 options, run an aerial input to the cable box, or get a Y combiner/splitter and merge the 2 into the TV in the other room.

There's also the option of a SCART splitter and a digi-sender which transmits the signal to another box which sits in the other room and connects to SCART, but it's more expensive ~£80.

If you've got digital cable, then any remote extenders to allow channel switching from the other room wont work
Old 15 May 2002, 01:28 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Tiggs

'm sure it would be possible to extend the scart if its sending a composite video signal, but not very easy if its RGB. Does the NTL box have a UHF output ? This would be much easier all round.

Do you have a normal TV aerial as well ? Are you likely to want the signal in more rooms at any point in the future. (i.e. is it worth spending time/money now to ensure you can expand later ?)

Anyway I thought you were moving ?
Old 15 May 2002, 01:34 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

yep- im moving- this is the new house.

so if i get it right i just plug a normal aerial lead into the ntl box and plug it in the back of the 2nd TV (ntl then sends the signal down scart to to TV1 and aerial to TV2- sounds easy.

i expect there is a house aerial but why would i want that if the kids TV (TV2) is gonna be showing cartoon network from NTL 24hrs a day!

Tiggs

ps- at some point i may want the signal sent upstairs- should i consider this now or just deal with it at the time.

pps- home automation? worth it?
Old 15 May 2002, 01:42 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Definately consider it now !

I run aerial to Cable box out of the cable box into video, out of video to loft then from a splitter in the loft to all other TV's in the house.

Home automation, loads of cash, very fiddly, but probably worth it once it's working. Have a look at Lets Automate
Old 15 May 2002, 01:48 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Tiggs

I dont have NTL but do have sky digital so the principles much the same. As you knwo I've just moved and as there were no telephone extension or other TV aerial sockets anywhere, I've spent some time adding wires to the house. (To the wifes distinct annoyance )

For TV I've installed one of these.

Advantage = Std TV signal, UHF from Video, UHF from Digibox, VHF FM, UHF from CCTV () to every TV in the house

Disadvantage = Need 2 Coax to the Main TV. One brings signal down, other takes return signal (now including Digibox+Video) back to the loft where its split for the other rooms.

I think you probably "do" want the normal TV signal everywhere, at least if the kids are watching cartoons theres a slim chance you can watch something interesting on BBC1/BBC2/ITV/CH4/CH5.

Now have outlets in Main bedroom and study. As I decorate each room I'll probably just drop a coax down "just in case".

Also seriously considering some X10 home automation bits for controlling Outside lights and errr.... "playing"

Deano
Old 15 May 2002, 02:07 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

ok- so one of them boxes in the loft and i can have my video, cctv, digital cable, normal Tv (and dvd?) going to all the house tv's? that sounds cool enough.

home automation- i spent 2 hrs last night learning about this stuff and i reckon i could manually turn on 600 light switches in that time!

is there any real benifit in it? my plan was to limit it to the living room- i have pronto for the tv stuff, i was gonna set it to do the living room lights and curtains and leave it at that.

any "real" good reasons for having a more comprehensive system?
Old 15 May 2002, 02:20 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

DVD - Only if the DVD player has a UHF out. You could take the composite video signal and convert to UHF (modulate) - but - as 99% of DVDs are widescreen - it will look odd on the more usual 4:3 TVs upstairs.

More reasons for Home Automation.....errrr "to play"

I dont need it but have the oppurtunity to spend some "free" money on techy type stuff. So its seems like a reasonable thing to have fun with. Intend to use the pronto to control lounge lights and outside lights (also timed/PIR). The controller I'm considering can also do IR control of other kit. Would really like some extra control over the C/H but that might be a while longer....

Deano
Old 15 May 2002, 02:26 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

ok- tv stuff makes sense.

home auto/X10- when i explained this to Mrs Tiggs she hit the nail on the head:

me "but they use it a lot in USA"

her "yes- thats why they're fat"

i have a feeling that i could get sucked into an X10 world where the only benifit is to my techno ego.

i think getting IR light switches for the pront in the living room is as far as i'll go. the outside lights will all be rigged to PIR's so they'll do their own thing.

how does your cctv work? ie- does it record when activated or does it just send a current image through the system? i assume they must need to be set to record somehow?
Old 15 May 2002, 02:48 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

CCTV at the moment is just for playing.

Have one v cheap black&white camera (£30 from B&Q) which will go outside covering front door/drive. I use an old anlaogue sat receiver to convert Scart to UHF at the moment and thats it.

The plan is at least two cameras. A linux box will also take the pictures and output of at least 1 PIR (poss via X10) then keep stills (at maybe 5 sec Intervals) or maybe video for 5/10 mins around the alert + a log of alerts. I can them review them probably via a broswer.

"techno ego" would be a reasonable description of the driving factor (plus I may swing it as a skill development bonus from work)

Deano
Old 15 May 2002, 03:34 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Smile

And I thought it was just me I've got a loftbox that I'm going to get round to installing this weekend to replace the amp that's there.

I bought a colour camera this week to get CCTV going with a modulator I already have.....

The Pronto won't drive most of the NTL cable boxes incliding mine So I'm reduced to an all-4-one which will !
Old 15 May 2002, 03:42 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Scoobynet and gratuitous technology ? Its never just the one
Old 15 May 2002, 04:29 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

my pronto works my NTL box fine (i got the .ccf of the net)
Old 15 May 2002, 04:50 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

I guess you've got a 4000 box then and not a 1000 box like me and may other unfortunates like this
Old 15 May 2002, 05:01 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

that thread looks nasty!!! glad i've got the right box!

hope you sort it somehow????

Tiggs
Old 15 May 2002, 10:28 PM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

Why didn't you ask me doombrain!!! I've already got NTL don't forget and I've got 4 TV's feeding off 3 boxes.....Duhhhh

Edited to add some re4al technical help rather than just insult you...

As has alrady been said, if all you want to do is run one extra TV and have it receive terrestrial chanels plus whatever you're watching on cable then you can keep the SCART from the NTL box(you on Digital? - probably will have to if new install...) and then run a co-ax from the NTL box to the second TV.
If you want to get really clever, you can get an ordinary TV splitter/booster from Focus Do-it-all for about 20 quid to split andd boost the signal to 2 or 3 other TV's as well.

That might help if you want to watch TV in bed or something...

In theory the Digital signal can't be amplifioed by a splitter (according to NTL) but experience has shown you can with acceptable results.

[Edited by Timbo33 - 5/15/2002 10:34:27 PM]
Old 15 May 2002, 10:59 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

so in very layman terms- the scart from NTL box to TV stays and i plug an aerial lead into the NTL box and run that to the 2nd telly.

or

i go into the loft like deano said and route up the whole house for a proper job.

sounds simple enough!

Tiggs
Old 16 May 2002, 09:11 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Wink

Or you could always get a second cable box for the other room so that you don't have to watch cartoons too. Mine is an extra £10 per month.
Old 16 May 2002, 09:12 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Tiggs - if you're happy with 1 NTL box and everyone watching Analogue or Video or the same NTL channel then yes.

Think Timbo is suggesting its also possible to split the incoming NTL signal and have multiple NTL boxes so TVs can watch different digital channels. ?
Old 16 May 2002, 09:56 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Yup, if you have multiple NTL boxes the incoming NTL signal can be split no problem for different channels at the same time, but its £10 per month for 2nd box.

BUT with only NTL Signal like we have (new flat) (ie, no separate analogue signal), you don't need another box to get 1,2,3,4 & 5 on another telly if you have a second NTL socket in another room.

D
Old 17 May 2002, 08:49 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Angry

Bloody NTL - it's just gone up to £15 for a second set top box !