Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow disruption

Looks like lots of schools shut again on Monday. hate the winter
Old 20 January 2013, 07:40 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went out in car tonight to fuel up for tomorrow.the state of the main roads i was surprised at.
I think its gonna be a effing nightmare with traffic...
Old 20 January 2013, 07:47 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The main roads are pretty good up here but positive thinking had me putting snow tyres on my van two months ago just in case. I bet they are hard to get hold of now
Old 20 January 2013, 07:50 PM
Dale17
Scooby Regular

I used to hate the snow but have loved this winter in scooby
Old 20 January 2013, 07:57 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dale17
I used to hate the snow but have loved this winter in scooby

HAHA i loved winter and ice /snow in the scooby,so much fun.....
Old 20 January 2013, 08:04 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Went out in car tonight to fuel up for tomorrow.the state of the main roads i was surprised at.
I think its gonna be a effing nightmare with traffic...
Main road by us is all ,but, deserted. no buses . More people walking than actual traffic
Old 20 January 2013, 08:06 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Really feel for people that have to travel in weather like this.Cant be nice
Old 20 January 2013, 08:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I still get a giggle after 10 years of being here at seeing the UK just fall apart when there is snow.

We had about 20cm of snow a couple of weeks ago. Did need to clear the drive to get the car out, and our road wasn't cleared, but we got out without too much fuss. It was a little slower going that usual, but trains were still running, perhaps 10 mins behind, but that's about it.

I have seen the winters get worse in the UK since I've been here, some comparable to, if not worse than hear (I think the UK got more snow that we did last year - well, where I live compared to where my family lives in the UK), and I still don't get why there are not proper solutions in place to deal with it. I think it is obvious it's going to come, so be more prepared. It seems like it has always been like this and I don't know why.

Have to admit that it is nastier in the UK though as it's a damp rather than a dry cold. I can handle -17 without a problem here, but -1 in the UK, because it's damp just goes straight to the bone, really not pleasant at all.

The snow tyre thing is interesting. I've been reading CAR mag for a while and noticed they started going on and on about winter / snow tyres. Are things really getting *that* bad? If you live outside of a town, perhaps it is needed, but in most towns and cities I'd think it's not needed at all. Over here, yeah, it's a possible consideration, but so far most people I know don't bother, unless they live out in the sticks. Quebec is another matter, it's mandatory for you to put winter tyres on your car, but I can see why, they do get hit pretty hard and so it does make a lot of sense there, but here, within 30 - 45 drive of Toronto, not so much.
Old 20 January 2013, 08:59 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
I still get a giggle after 10 years of being here at seeing the UK just fall apart when there is snow.

We had about 20cm of snow a couple of weeks ago. Did need to clear the drive to get the car out, and our road wasn't cleared, but we got out without too much fuss. It was a little slower going that usual, but trains were still running, perhaps 10 mins behind, but that's about it.

I have seen the winters get worse in the UK since I've been here, some comparable to, if not worse than hear (I think the UK got more snow that we did last year - well, where I live compared to where my family lives in the UK), and I still don't get why there are not proper solutions in place to deal with it. I think it is obvious it's going to come, so be more prepared. It seems like it has always been like this and I don't know why.

Have to admit that it is nastier in the UK though as it's a damp rather than a dry cold. I can handle -17 without a problem here, but -1 in the UK, because it's damp just goes straight to the bone, really not pleasant at all.

The snow tyre thing is interesting. I've been reading CAR mag for a while and noticed they started going on and on about winter / snow tyres. Are things really getting *that* bad? If you live outside of a town, perhaps it is needed, but in most towns and cities I'd think it's not needed at all. Over here, yeah, it's a possible consideration, but so far most people I know don't bother, unless they live out in the sticks. Quebec is another matter, it's mandatory for you to put winter tyres on your car, but I can see why, they do get hit pretty hard and so it does make a lot of sense there, but here, within 30 - 45 drive of Toronto, not so much.
Just to go off thread for a moment , but do learner drivers learn driving differently over there because of the snow.?
Old 20 January 2013, 09:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevo10
Just to go off thread for a moment , but do learner drivers learn driving differently over there because of the snow.?
I just asked my wife (born and raised here) and she said that they never gave any special instruction / lessons on driving in the snow. That was a fair while ago, but I doubt it has changed much. I think it's all pretty much common sense, ie; slow the eff down!
Old 21 January 2013, 04:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Schools never shut for snow in my day. We never got any days off!

Les
Old 21 January 2013, 10:48 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

A respectable 79F in southern California today
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00138-20130121-1421.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	10956  
Old 21 January 2013, 10:49 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I drove 200 miles today and the roads were brilliant.
Old 23 January 2013, 04:36 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Need to shut schools? 'snow excuse!