Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Heating gone mental

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2013, 09:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heating gone mental

Our heating decided to come on at 3am this morning and at the moment the thermostat is set at 68 and the temp is more like 80, radiators are really hot, its a traditional boiler, i.e. not a Combi or Condensing, a "Valiant" with an electronic programmer and an old school Danfoss thermostat, the clock is set right and it shoudl be on now, just not trying to roast us !
Old 18 January 2013, 09:47 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a frost stat somewhere kicking it in? If not check your zone valves.
Old 18 January 2013, 09:48 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Im no expert but sounds like your thermostats had it. it seems its telling the boiler its needed even though its up to and over reqd temp
Old 18 January 2013, 10:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

The frost stat is under the boiler in the loft, my understanding with these is that it just turns the heating on as a failsafe if it gets cold, it is a Honeywell thing but doesnt appear to have any adjustment, it isnt that cold up there and its never kicked in before when its been colder.
Old 18 January 2013, 10:09 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

The frost stat will have a removable cover,under that is the adjustment ****/scale put a thermometer in the loft and check ambient temp.Check the setting temp of frost stat...turn it off/down and see if your heating goes back to normality...it will generally click when its turned...as the heating came on at 3am its the most likely cause.
Old 18 January 2013, 10:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cool, cheers Buster, I did kind of have that at the back of my mind as I remembered the plumber mentioning it but wasnt actually sure where it fitted in !

Will go and take another look, it seems to have calmed down as I am sat here and I dont feel like i have a Space Shuttle that has just come through re-entry behind me.

I was quite coll up there and thinking about it, I added more insulation in summer so potentially it has worked and it is a couple of degrees colder up there than last year,
Old 18 January 2013, 10:28 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

As a rule of thumb the frost stat will be set at about 5/6 degrees C.If you have no heat satisfying the call then it will remain on until the loft warms...at least its working..better than frozen pipes....this is exactly the reason a loft boiler install is the last resort.That and the fact it brings an extra ceiling down if it does all go **** up.
Old 18 January 2013, 10:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It was set about 3 or 4 c, have put a thermomenter up there to see what it goes down to, I think opening the loft hatch let some of the excess heat up there and it warmed up and the heat subsided, nice to know it works, I suspect the extra insulation has made a difference, a boiler in the loft wouldnt be my first choice either.
Old 19 January 2013, 08:10 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You can also fit a frost 'kit', which adds another themostat attached to the return pipe near to the boiler. They're wired so that the boiler comes on when the ambient temperature is below about 5 deg C, but goes off again when the temperature of the pipes is 25 degrees or thereabouts. This keeps the pipes from freezing without the boiler running flat out unnecessarily.