Weather forecasting: again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2013, 08:17 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Weather forecasting: again!!!

Two questions:
I have two weather pages bookmarked. The Metoffice one gives this cold snap not going much above zero for the next nine days
Meanwhile, an American site says +6deg next week.
How can they be SO different?

And secondly, the Metoffice site says a min of -1 last night, my outside thermometer says it reached -8. They were even saying that it might get as low as that on the BBC.

Why the difference?
Old 17 January 2013, 08:23 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Daily Mail for my weather predictions - apparently we'll be in an ice age by about 2:30, followed swiftly by a barbeque summer.
Old 17 January 2013, 09:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

LOL, what has the MetOffice said about the coming summer? Because they were 100% wrong on the last two summers AND the last two winters.......
Old 17 January 2013, 09:05 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to look at 3 or 4 UK based sites and take the average of them all.
You will also find that anything beyond 72 hours is pretty much to luck.
Old 17 January 2013, 10:33 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Going by how much money the Met office has had ploughed into them they really are utterly incompetent.
Old 17 January 2013, 11:02 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I compare Meto, BBC (I think their data is METO anyway), Netweather and Metcheck.
Old 17 January 2013, 11:18 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

http://www.weatherspark.com is where it's at. Norway based and more accurate than the Met Office by a mile.

The Met Office is another huge waste of money in the UK!
Old 17 January 2013, 12:17 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
LOL, what has the MetOffice said about the coming summer? Because they were 100% wrong on the last two summers AND the last two winters.......
How can they be 100% wrong???

They only predicted with a stated moderately low levels of probability.

It's your fault if you don't read what they really say, and/or get your weather forecast from the Express
Old 17 January 2013, 12:20 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Weatherpro (mobile app) is the most reliable I know of.

And it WILL snow a LOT tonight even in Cornwall...
Old 17 January 2013, 12:26 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid that is the problem.

Most people don't listen to the weather forecast properly and even when they do they don't understand the differences that can happen due to local conditions.

It got to a minimum of -1.3 in our yard last night, but -5.4 up the other end of our garden (50m away). I understand why that happens.

But if I watched the TV forecast that has 2 minutes to convey three days of weather, and a single temperature forecast for last night covering the majority of the SW of England, the chances of actually getting it right for either of my two thermometers is pretty low.

As for the Met Office being a waste of money, does anyone know how much money they actually save for the country?
Old 17 January 2013, 12:33 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

If you surf a lot, you become a little too interested in forecasts (mostly for wind)...

One weird thing - I have a decent outdoor thermometer and have noticed both here and in the last house that the temperature nearly always dips about 0.5 to 1 degree just before gets light - it's really odd!
Old 17 January 2013, 12:43 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Its due to heat loss. It starts before dark - as the sun sets and only starts to reverse well after sunrise as there is a lag in air temp as the energy from the sun starts to warm the ground beyond its cooler state. This means that the temp can be at its lowest any time from just after sun rise until 2 hours later depending on wx.
Old 17 January 2013, 01:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
How can they be 100% wrong???

They only predicted with a stated moderately low levels of probability.

It's your fault if you don't read what they really say, and/or get your weather forecast from the Express
They stated on TV that we would have two "barbecue summers": we didn't, in fact last summer was the wettest on record.

They stated on TV that we would have two mild winters: we didn't, we got record snowfalls and record low temperatures.

100% wrong, sorry. As are you...again!

And as for the Express, nope, don't read any of the rags.
Old 17 January 2013, 01:35 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Its due to heat loss. It starts before dark - as the sun sets and only starts to reverse well after sunrise as there is a lag in air temp as the energy from the sun starts to warm the ground beyond its cooler state. This means that the temp can be at its lowest any time from just after sun rise until 2 hours later depending on wx.
Handier than Google - cheers!
Old 17 January 2013, 01:50 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Only you could could come out with a lame a$$ comment like that.

We shoulden't have to try and read into anything, this isn't a crystal ******* ball we're talking about here.

It really does surprise me why the Government keep giving these useless ***** money considering they coulden't be further from the truth if they wanted too, Is the Metoffice run by someone in a high position within the Government by any chance?
Old 17 January 2013, 02:02 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk

We shoulden't have to try and read into anything, this isn't a crystal ******* ball we're talking about here.

It really does surprise me why the Government keep giving these useless ***** money considering they coulden't be further from the truth if they wanted too, Is the Metoffice run by someone in a high position within the Government by any chance?

Nonsense
Old 17 January 2013, 02:06 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
They stated on TV that we would have two "barbecue summers": we didn't, in fact last summer was the wettest on record.

They stated on TV that we would have two mild winters: we didn't, we got record snowfalls and record low temperatures.

100% wrong, sorry. As are you...again!

And as for the Express, nope, don't read any of the rags.
'They' who I guess you mean the Met Office, stated that there was a higher than average probability of a hot summer. The BBQ summer was the press

They'd only be 100% wrong if they said there was a 100% probability of a hotter than average summer, they didn't say anything of the sought though.

btw, nobody has mention the fact that it was the Met Office, who called tomorrows whether long before any of the much trumpeted (on here) alternative forecasts !

Last edited by Martin2005; 17 January 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 17 January 2013, 02:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Ignore Martin, he must work in government or for a local authority or something as he never misses an opportunity to defend our corrupt politicians and failing political system.
Old 17 January 2013, 02:11 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Would be interested to know who exactly said we would have "two BBQ summers" and two mild winters. Was it someone on the BBC? Was it something you read in a newspaper? The whole debacle about a BBQ summer was several years ago now, so no idea what you are on about now.

As for being wrong and hence shouldn't have any money from the government. Do you have any statistics on how wrong they are? Or is this just your opinion?
Old 17 January 2013, 02:12 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Ignore Martin, he must work in government or for a local authority or something as he never misses an opportunity to defend our corrupt politicians and failing political system.
Yes because I don't share your unrelentingly depressing, negative and cynical world view, I must work for the government
Old 17 January 2013, 02:14 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
Would be interested to know who exactly said we would have "two BBQ summers" and two mild winters. Was it someone on the BBC? Was it something you read in a newspaper? The whole debacle about a BBQ summer was several years ago now, so no idea what you are on about now.

As for being wrong and hence shouldn't have any money from the government. Do you have any statistics on how wrong they are? Or is this just your opinion?
Of course they bloody well don't, they have their inflated, conspiracy driven OPINIONS, therefore facts are unnecessary
Old 17 January 2013, 02:15 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Your right, I 'should' start 'not' listening to the forecast, but try reading into it a bit more.

******* trumpet!
Old 17 January 2013, 02:18 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Your right, I 'should' start 'not' listening to the forecast, but try reading into it a bit more.

******* trumpet!

Yeah, because that's exactly what I said
Old 17 January 2013, 02:21 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Martin, I have hairy *****, not crystal ***** FFS.

If Met Office tell me it's going to rain then I'm inclined to believe them rather than sit and try and work out if they are telling the truth or not you ******* dumplin.
Old 17 January 2013, 02:25 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Martin, I have hairy *****, not crystal ***** FFS.

If Met Office tell me it's going to rain then I'm inclined to believe them rather than sit and try and work out if they are telling the truth or not you ******* dumplin.

This is actually what the Met Office said in 2009

At the time the chief meteorologist, Ewen McCallum, said there was a 50 per cent chance of above- average temperatures and a 30 per cent chance of average temperatures. The chances of the summer being a washout were around 30 per cent, he declared.

Last edited by Martin2005; 17 January 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 17 January 2013, 02:27 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yes because I don't share your unrelentingly depressing, negative and cynical world view, I must work for the government
No, because you defend the system all the time despite the fact the country is failing financially, socially etc. etc. by any measure you care to call up!
Old 17 January 2013, 02:29 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

******* trumpet!
Yes it's written in such a way that only uber intelligent people like Martin can understand it not plebs like you and me
Old 17 January 2013, 02:31 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

No, because you defend the system all the time despite the fact the country is failing financially, socially etc. etc. by any measure you care to call up!
No because I don't judge everything with my gut, I try and use a bit of rationality.

And I certainly only defend the system to a certain extent, I'm all too aware of the issue we face, I just won't continually conflate, exaggerate and spin to make a dogmatic point
Old 17 January 2013, 02:32 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Yes it's written in such a way that only uber intelligent people like Martin can understand it not plebs like you and me
Did you read my post and are therefore being deliberately thick, or are you actually thick??
Old 17 January 2013, 02:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Did you read my post and are therefore being deliberately thick, or are you actually thick??
Yes I read your post, it was nonsense as it implied what they say and what they really say are two different things. It's a f**kiing weather forecast not the Times crossword.

The fact remains they predicted two summers with a higher than average temperature and two mild winters and they were wrong about all of them.

What is it about that that you do not understand? And I am the thick one?

Quick Reply: Weather forecasting: again!!!