Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Electronic Ear Defenders for Shooting

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2013, 09:21 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Ear Defenders for Shooting

I have just got back into clay shooting and plan to do a fair bit of it this year. In the past I just used foam ear plugs as cheap as chips. Never really seen the need to spend £100 on a set. However a friend lent me a pair of Peltor Sportacs on Saturday and I was pretty impressed. Firstly it was bloody cold so was nice have these over my ears. Secondly I could clearly hear people several meters away talking so it actually boosts your hearing ability there instead of having to shout & nod as you do with earplugs. And of course it blocks out the harsh part of the shotgun blasts.

Peltors seem to be the defenders of choice unless you want to spend stupid money and the best price I have seen is £105. However I also saw the Howard Leights on Amazon which are only £65 but seem to get a great feedback with 5 stars after 23 reviews:

Anyone got any long term use of either of these and able to offer some advice before I splash the cash?

Oh and if anyone can recommend a good UK Clay Shooting forum that would be great.

Cheers
Simon
Old 14 January 2013, 09:46 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't like them personally, they are too big and sometime you nut the stock with them especially when doing sporting where the clays are coming from all angles, if your just doing skeet or down the line which is boring after a while then it won't be such a problem, but any shooter worth his salt is into sporting.

I use sonic 11 which offer all the benefits without the cost and cumbersome ness of the big a$$ electronic ones.

National clay shooters association should lead you to a decent forum.
Old 14 January 2013, 09:55 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I usually shoot sporting but have always enjoyed Skeet as well so mix & match. Used them for 50 on each on Sat and never noticed that issue tbh. Don’t seem that cumbersome as no big dials sticking out at least on the Peltors. Do you shoot from a gun down position maybe? I just like the fact you can have a normal conversation with others without having to move an earpiece of your ear.

Cheers for the forum tip – will check it out.

Simon
Old 14 January 2013, 10:09 AM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

I use a cheaper set, like those below, have found them to be very good, but for construction work, rather than shooting.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/electronic-e...y+and+Workwear
Old 14 January 2013, 10:12 AM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Peltor sportrak all day! Yes there expensive but well worth it IMO!
Old 14 January 2013, 11:48 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Surfire Ear Pro.
About £12-£15 a pair.
I get a few months out of a pair.
They are worth a go.
EP3 are what I use, or EP5 for full block plugs.
Old 14 January 2013, 12:40 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

I have been using Peltor Sportac for many years now for all types of shooting and wouldn't use anything else. I need to be able to give and receive range commands clearly and the Sportacs will actualy amplify faint sounds from further away whilst still preventing the harmful sounds.

Many people who only wear in earplugs don't realise that hearing damage from high impulse sounds like shooting can damage your low frequency hearing around you ear. Properly fitting over ear protection will help prevent low and high frequency hearing damage.

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2013, 01:16 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

cheers scoobeenut. I am leaning towards them as I have actually tried them in practice over the Howard Leights but will do a bit more research.

Where do you shoot btw? Not exactly local for me but was at AC Sporting Targets next to West London Shooting School (went there for breakfast first lol).
Old 14 January 2013, 01:35 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

AC Sporting targets are very good they have some excellent instructors there and a very friendly shooting ground. I shoot rifles at Bisley and shotgun at various other grounds around Hampshire and Surrey. Bisley is not too far from you and has two clay grounds.
Old 14 January 2013, 01:48 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If you really want over ears then Deben Supreme Pro X Slim gets my vote.
Old 14 January 2013, 01:49 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
AC Sporting targets are very good they have some excellent instructors there and a very friendly shooting ground. I shoot rifles at Bisley and shotgun at various other grounds around Hampshire and Surrey. Bisley is not too far from you and has two clay grounds.
Yeah I liked the fact you can just grab a scorecard and go shoot whatever you like and they do the traps and scoring. If it was closer to me (Reading) I could swing by on the way home from work in the week and shoot by myself.

I know Bisley – used to shoot Air Rifles HFT and that is next to the full bore ranges. Had a Skeet Lesson at the NSC many years ago. Thought it would be pricey but not bad at £7 for a round of skeet for non-members.

Guys I just started shooting clays with also do sporting at Mainstone Hill which is close to Bisley. Have not been there yet myself but should be fairly soon.
Old 14 January 2013, 02:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I used cotton wool-cheap but probably not as good as the modern jobbers.

Les
Old 14 January 2013, 03:04 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Haha Les I am just imagining you in the Vulcan sat there with tampons in your ears as there was no cotton wool handy
Old 14 January 2013, 03:37 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most pro coaches use Peltor ear protection
Old 14 January 2013, 04:13 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

I have used them with upto .50 cal rifle, don't think I could rely on cotton wool for that
Old 14 January 2013, 06:29 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

I use Deben's slim electronic ear defenders can't fault them and wouldn't shoot without them

Last edited by howellsy42; 14 January 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 14 January 2013, 06:52 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Peltor here.

Try pigeonwatch forums, nice lads over there.

Last edited by fitzscoob; 15 January 2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Stupid predictive text on phone
Old 15 January 2013, 11:41 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the input. I did a fair bit more reading and several people said the Howard Leights were uncomfortable after 2hrs. The Sportacs were fine – so much so that I nearly forgot to take them off when we inside for a cuppa. So I have just ordered a pair and hoping they arrive before the weekend as have a sporting shoot on Sunday.
Old 15 January 2013, 11:42 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Peltor here.

Try pigeonwatch forums, nice lads over there.
Yeah that forum came up in quite a few of my searches. Also found this one which seems pretty good and is UK:

http://www.shootclayforum.com/

Could not find an NCSA forum that ditch referred to.
Old 15 January 2013, 12:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Haha Les I am just imagining you in the Vulcan sat there with tampons in your ears as there was no cotton wool handy
More chance of that in the VC10, we had stewardesses on that one!

Les
Old 15 January 2013, 01:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Haha. I remember the VC10 flying RAF between Cyprus and Brize. They had the seats rear facing IIRC? Had a whole row to myself and the best plane food I had ever had. Seem to recall a steak served for breakfast lol.
Old 16 January 2013, 03:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes we used to get good food up front as well. As ever it always depended where the aircraft meals were prepared and picked up from. Singapore meals were always outstanding

Les
Old 16 January 2013, 03:21 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I usually shoot sporting but have always enjoyed Skeet as well so mix & match. Used them for 50 on each on Sat and never noticed that issue tbh. Don’t seem that cumbersome as no big dials sticking out at least on the Peltors. Do you shoot from a gun down position maybe? I just like the fact you can have a normal conversation with others without having to move an earpiece of your ear.

Cheers for the forum tip – will check it out.

Simon
I shoot from the hip

Ok not all the time but yeah i don't have the gun in my shoulder until after i call pull, gun at waist hight pull then shoulder, if that makes more sense, but i have been shooting for 28yrs so i have to spice things up somehow, i have free reign at my local clay ground so i wander about and shoot the clays from different angles not from the stands, otherwise i get bored of going.

Did you google the sonic 11 ?

just read you've orderd some, good luck with them, i wasn't aware that they are better over the ear as in a comment above, so i guess thats why i'm a bit mutton jeff.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 16 January 2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 16 January 2013, 07:21 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
i have free reign at my local clay ground so i wander about and shoot the clays from different angles not from the stands, otherwise i get bored of going.
You must tell me where this ground is so I can avoid it. A ground that allows people to shoot off stand is ignoring the prime requirement for all shooting, and that's safety. And anyone who has shot for 28 years should know better and not boast about such poor behaviour.