Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nokia 8310 or Ericsson T68

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2002, 12:45 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is the better phone for me to purchase, the Nokia 8310 or the Ericsson T68?

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 15 May 2002, 03:38 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

I have the 8310.

Can feel a little bit fragile sometimes. I've had it more than 6 months and since i got i've heard a few complaints about how easy the are to break but so far mine has been fine.

When you take the battery cover off it feels as thin as card.

Dead easy to use, big screen, battery lasts more than a few days and the radio comes in handy if i get stuck waiting for a plane or something. It's a life saver when arriving in London at 5:20am before flying up North at 7am.

This was my first Nokia after 6 years of having Ericssons. Always had battery problems. Had to jam paper under the battery just to keep it connected. A little knock would switch off the phone. Maybe the new ones are better but i just got fed up.
Old 15 May 2002, 09:25 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

T68 is the dogs danglies.... had one since December.

Steve
Old 15 May 2002, 09:42 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

T68's a top phone.
Needs charged once a week (once every 2 weeks if you're a low user)
You get all the bluetooth blah blah blah
More importantly, it has good games. Battleships, Erix etc.]
Ooh ooh...and a joystick
Old 15 May 2002, 11:40 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Everyone I know with a T68 (3 people), regret not buying a Nokia. text messaging is awful, and the phone is very buggy apparently
Old 15 May 2002, 12:17 PM
g0d
Scooby Regular

I've had a t68 for about a month and the joystick is broken the button on the side is broken its really easy to delete numbers by accident sending txt messages is indeed a pain in the **** as is saving phone numbers. Basically it has all the toys but is **** to use. The only good feature is that you can have a picture of britney spears as your background, if you can find a nokia that does that buy it and hope the t68 gets buried as the poorly designed piece of crap that it is.
Old 15 May 2002, 12:23 PM
neilb
Scooby Regular

have had 4 nokias and 3 ericssons. All nokias went wrong, never had a problem with ericsson.

now use a t39 excellent phone
Old 15 May 2002, 12:33 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Had loads of Nokias (6 or 7), only problem I had was the screen fading out - which was replaced in 20 mins under warranty
Old 15 May 2002, 12:38 PM
Homer Simpson
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I hate Ericsson phones, they're not as instinctive as Nokia phones.

Played with the T68, but I hated the platic case (wearing on the edges), the slow reaction of the phone and the odd menu layout.

Brilliant if you are going to use Bluetooth, or else it seems like a waste of money.

I have a Nokia 8310 now, and it does everything I need. I don't need Bluetooth (and £120 for a headset is stupid money!!!) I don't use WAP or GPRS (as I have a broadband at home and don't do much travelling)

The Nokia has been a solid reliable phone (dropped on laminate flooring more than once!), and kind of tarty too!!
Old 15 May 2002, 08:46 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Beware of people giving advice from foreign parts
In the USA (and other countries) the software is different on handsets, so their view is possibly not an equal comparison.The T68 has been updated to the T68i, and is nowhere as poor as described above. See my comments on the thread by STI Scooby -Nokia 8890 or Siemens SL45.

Enough said.
Good luck,

Matthew
Old 15 May 2002, 09:02 PM
NICKBG
Scooby Regular

Smile

I would not touch the Eric with a barge pole! My sister had one, and it had to be sent back to the manufacturer 4 times !!!, and in the end got so fed up went back to Nokia....

Nokia all the time i am affraid - they are the market leader, and have the best software....

I thought Eric.. were stopping the mobile phone market anyway - coz they couldn't make any money ! that says it all really..
Old 15 May 2002, 09:08 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

T68 is superb if you want wireless/GPRS connectivity for other devices, I use a Ipaq with it and its very good..

Having used Nokia and Siemens I must admit I find the menu strucuture odd, SMS usability I dont care about as I use the Ipaq for SMS. Biggest pains I find are.

1. Menus slow to react so you can end up selecting something else if you get to quick
2. Call lists only record time/date for most recent call, all others numbers show only date
3. Syncing contacts from Ipaq outlook is per record and doesnt use versioning
4. Config of data services (GPRS/Email) requires some research

Saying that I'm told that the firmware u/g to the T68i is free and that phone is apparently a lot quicker in the menu stakes - which is my biggest issue..

cheerio
Old 15 May 2002, 09:12 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

I have had at least 3 or each....

Nokia is much more user friendly.... so if you're not into all the advanced toys then a Nokia is for you.

If you like you colour screens and bluetooth etc then the Ericsson is the one.

On my Nokia's I had screen problems on every single one But it can be sorted if you have a Nokia service site near you.... If you have an 8850 or 8890 then it has to be sent away as it is their premier product.... and no replacement for the 3 days its gone for

The Ericsson's turn off on their own sometimes... but no other problems that I have experienced really.

I have a T68 at the mo.... but I am going to buy a 7210 next I think.....

Both good in my opinion... depends on what you want it for??
Old 15 May 2002, 09:31 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always had Ericssons - well, for the last 6 years anyway. T10, T29 and now T39 all have problems with their aerials - not being built inside the case they tend to get knocked about and reception suffers. I do like them though and have never had problems with the menus etc.
My T39 is back at SonyEricsson getting repaired and I had been considering replacing it with a T68 although I'm not entirely convinced by it yet. The big advantage of the T39 and 68 for me are that they are tri-band. I travel an awful lot so need tri-band access. The only other tri-bands I know know of are the Motorola Timeports which are pants (IMHO).
If Nokia started Noking out a tri-band phone then I might be interested....
Old 15 May 2002, 10:22 PM
UFO
Scooby Regular

8310 is a superb phone.

Had a look round on a T68i but as far as i could see it really wasnt up to much.

Nokia wins hands down every time for me.

cheers
Old 15 May 2002, 11:09 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Gotta agree Nokia 8310 is the tops.
VERY user friendly, and COOL
See for yourself...

BOB

Old 15 May 2002, 11:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hmm the 8310 looks too cheap to me especially with its plastic keys.
Old 16 May 2002, 12:00 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I've also tried lots of mobile phone manufacturers, and Nokia's user interface is the only one I get on with (although some of it's infuriating -- why don't they make the menus and the order of them customizable?). Pity that Nokia don't do DECT phones, coz my home phone has the 'pick up' and 'put down' buttons the other way round to a Nokia [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 16 May 2002, 07:49 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Plantie - I have an 8850 and they replaced my screen on-site for me in 20 mins!!!
Old 16 May 2002, 08:45 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

My last three phones (prior to current t68) were nokia 6210, 7210 and some other nokia who's model that i cant remember.

ALL of the nokias broke/fell to bits/turned themself off.
but the nokias do have a better interface.

The ericsson feels a little slower to use, but has worked perfectly with no problems, i'm very happy with it.
Old 16 May 2002, 08:48 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

jlanng - might just be the 8890 then??

Simon - The 8890 is Tri-Band!
Old 16 May 2002, 09:41 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

nokia's are for girls every girl you see has 1, ericsson's are for real men with all the gadgets and toys
Old 16 May 2002, 03:17 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

The T68 looks fab and has great features but as said before is a pain to use. I haven't had a play with the T68i yet but people who have say it is a bit better but not by much.
The phone I'm waiting for is the new 7210 from Nokia as I really want a colour screen (have an 8210 at the moment). I tried the 7650 but it is huuuuuuge. Even if it does have a nifty camera.

Anyway have a look at http://www.nokia.com/phones/7210/index.html People who have used it say it is the dogs.
Only problem is that it will be out September time.
Old 16 May 2002, 03:52 PM
andrew420
Scooby Regular

plantie 8890 is not tri-band its dual 1800/900. It just looses one of the european bands 1800 and replaces with a US band 1900
Old 16 May 2002, 04:34 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

have had about 9 different nokia models, and about 7 replacements of each.

I always changed up to nokia as I was a die hard nokia user and used to the menu system.

Finally changed up on orange on a free upgrade to an 8310. Considered T68 but because of ericsson menus, didnt go for it.

Had 8310 a week and hated it.

Plasticky and rubbish. too small, and screen being black and white looks dated now. features were good, but otherwise it was just a recased 8210 which was never that good but with a radio.

So sent it back and got the t68 for free.

text messaging is not a nightmare at all. only problem is that the space and change word for predictive messaging buttons are not what you are used to. It takes a few days to figure out all the menus then it is fine andvery simple to use.

It is still plasticky but the rubberised battery makes it feel far better than the 8310.

the colour screen is great.

enabled me to download my piccie of my car as my back ground which is a nice feature.

blue tooth etc is all great.

only thing I hate is that the phone is very slow indeed. text messaging requires you to wait for the phone to catch up.

still I am happy with it and its staying for now.

games are great.

Q is a real brain teaser and great fun, plus there is erix and patience, great for when you are sitting on the......

anyhoo.

do it.

I will probably consider the 7650 or the 7310 but orange take so long to bring them out I will be entitled to a free upgrade by then anyway.

ps. to anyone on orange, make sure you register for your orange equity points as very few do, and with the amount I spend, there are loads of free gifts available.

dial 402 to set it up, then forget it till you want something for you phone.
Old 17 May 2002, 12:39 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Peeps,

Thank you all very very much for the advice. Some very good descriptions and comments.

I currently have the T28 and know what you mean about the slow text messsaging. It seems Ericsson still have not improved on this bug.

Also my wifes 8210 was stolen a few weeks ago so after she read the comments on here, she decided to go for the 8310 and got it today.

I want to upgrade from my T28 and will have a play with the T68i and see how it feels. However I had a look at the Nokia link, posted above, and saw the 7210 which looks like a beauty. I may wait for that one to hit the shores and then decide.

Once again, thanks to everybody that replied. Very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Wrexy.