Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Traffic Wardens..yes they are mini Hitlers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2013, 09:05 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Traffic Wardens..yes they are mini Hitlers!!!

So flipping annoyed!! I am a nice guy,honest,but here is the scenario...

Pulled on to very large car park at about 5.30 one night just waiting to pick someone up.Car Park empty,its dark,shops shut,offices closed etc

Waiting time probably couple mins.Warden appears,zooms up to my window which I put down and cheerily say 'just waiting for someone ,be two mins...' The response.....

"You are under observation for 5 minutes then I am issuing a ticket"

WTF!!! Enhance your reputation why dont you!

Really brassed me off.Over zealous idiot
Old 04 January 2013, 09:10 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are power hungry and hate their work, so they take it out on the public.
Old 04 January 2013, 09:15 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

You have to be a c*nt to be a traffic warden in the first place, it's in the job description.
Old 04 January 2013, 09:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not all, and it depends on the employers: some are on a target. They are the worst.

Those employed by our local council are quite good, actually
Old 04 January 2013, 10:16 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Well i have yet to meet any 'good' traffic wardens myself.
Old 05 January 2013, 08:19 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Should have drove in a circle really slowly...
Old 05 January 2013, 08:56 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by super_ted
You have to be a c*nt to be a traffic warden in the first place, it's in the job description.
^ this
Old 05 January 2013, 11:41 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Wait till you get one who writes a ticket but because you appear just in time doesn't have the ***** to put it on the car, says he hasn't written you one when aslked, but puts it in the system anyway and you end up spending 6 months trying to sort it out. They are all *****, but there is one that works for Manchester City Council who is a lying ****!
Old 05 January 2013, 11:53 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

There are good ones...

Some years ago I bought a used car from a garage near Cambridge. 20 miles up the road I'm sitting in the queue for a roundabout when the clutch pedal goes to the floor and stays there. It's clear the car is going nowhere, and it's blocking traffic.

Cue a friendly traffic warden, who not only helps me push the car onto the roundabout, then off into a side road with a parking space - he also writes me a note to put in the windscreen so that any of his colleagues will know the car is awaiting recovery rather than just overstaying the time restriction.

At least this one guy understood that his job as a public servant was to actually serve the interests of the public. Top bloke.
Old 05 January 2013, 11:54 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my first parking ticket recently courtesy of Edinburgh City Council. Of course I did park the van in a restricted street... still b@stards though.
Old 05 January 2013, 12:41 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
There are good ones...

Some years ago I bought a used car from a garage near Cambridge. 20 miles up the road I'm sitting in the queue for a roundabout when the clutch pedal goes to the floor and stays there. It's clear the car is going nowhere, and it's blocking traffic.

Cue a friendly traffic warden, who not only helps me push the car onto the roundabout, then off into a side road with a parking space - he also writes me a note to put in the windscreen so that any of his colleagues will know the car is awaiting recovery rather than just overstaying the time restriction.

At least this one guy understood that his job as a public servant was to actually serve the interests of the public. Top bloke.
There are good and bad as there are good and not so good people. My own experience with three different traffic wardens in my home town have all been good. On all three occasions I had parked the car where it shouldn't have been, and on all three occasions I escaped a ticket thanks to the warden's discretion. I hasten to add I was not in the car in any of the instances. Perhaps I was fortunate or maybe they were all having a good day.
On another occasion I got clamped (my own fault) but the clamper put cardboard between the clamp and the wheel (so as not to scuff my white PFF7s). He also put the clamp on as loose as possible so as not damage the wheel. Upon returning to the car and seeing the clamp I was livid! I rang my mate to come down with some bolt cutters. I told the clamp guy this who said he'd be forced to call the police if I did that. After having a brief chat with him, I decided to take it on the chin. It was my fault as there were signs everywhere and this chap had done his best not to damage my wheel. He was actually quite a nice guy and a petrolhead. In the end I paid up the £75 or so and decided discretion was the better part of valour.
Summing up I'd say some wardens do themselves no favours but neither does the public, don't park illegally and you won't get ticketed! Furthermore with the amount of flak they get it takes a thick skin to to do the job.
Old 05 January 2013, 01:35 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife was pregnant - about 30 minutes to drop.
She was illegally parked outside Lloyds bank in Ashtead - on a mission, Christmas eve .
She was booked and was kicked in the belly ( Well the kicking was a porky)
They are definitely (k)uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunts !!!
Old 05 January 2013, 02:21 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
My wife was pregnant - about 30 minutes to drop.
She was illegally parked outside Lloyds bank in Ashtead - on a mission, Christmas eve .
She was booked and was kicked in the belly ( Well the kicking was a porky)
They are definitely (k)uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunts !!!
Kicked in the belly ? I don't get it ?

I'm not sure what her being pregnant has to do with it, had she been getting medication or something, but going shopping and parking illegally ..
Old 05 January 2013, 02:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It would be very difficult to resist kicking him in the fergibblers and burning his note book!

Les
Old 05 January 2013, 02:35 PM
Bugatti
Scooby Regular

They're paid to a job and enforce the rules. If you don't want to be bothered by a Traffic Warden then don't park illegally.

I don't really see what the problem is. Everyone who breaks the rules/law thinks they have a valid reason for doing so and deserve discretion shown to them.
Old 05 January 2013, 03:02 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I pick my wife up from work if I'm off, usually about 5.30 to 6 pm, she works right near a huge council car park. So I'm parked up clearly waiting to collect someone, and I get a knock on the window ordering me to move!

His attitude stank to be honest , so I moved.. to the other end of the car park, which is at least a 5 minute walk. So this guy walked all the way accross the car park towards me, and when he was about 10 meters from the car I drove back to exactly where I was to start with.

I got him to do it three times before my wife finished work.
Old 05 January 2013, 03:13 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugatti
They're paid to a job and enforce the rules. If you don't want to be bothered by a Traffic Warden then don't park illegally.

I don't really see what the problem is. Everyone who breaks the rules/law thinks they have a valid reason for doing so and deserve discretion shown to them.

Agreed, the guy could of ticketed the OP ..
Old 05 January 2013, 03:34 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Me neither, either he is enforcing the rules, which like It or not is his job

Or is is not

And either the OP was breaking them (tough ****) or he was not - and will in 99% of cases you will win at a tribunal

Sometimes in life you need to accept a good "ol" shafting and just move on

Sore, but wiser
Old 05 January 2013, 04:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
or he was not - and will in 99% of cases you will win at a tribunal
Yep and when you win and it has cost you more in time and effort than it would have done to just pay the ticket that was issued illegally they don't reward you any costs as the traffic penalty tribunal was deliberately set up that way.

The council who are pressing the charges don't even have to attend so of course they take it to tribunal... it costs them nothing. It's a scam from the traffic wardens (civil enforcement officers as the jumped up little d1ckwads are now called) through the councils to the tribuinal itself. *****, the lot of them!
Old 05 January 2013, 05:08 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Got a ticket in my local multi-storey.The car park was half empty.
I was done for having my wheels slightly over the white line marking the bay.
Technically I am in the wrong but given the vast amount of free bays it just gives people a bad impression.

I agree with f1_fan about this title of 'Enforcement Officer'. Gives off a bad message & image. Warden or assistant would be more user friendly and fulfill their brief.
If you ask your local council they will swear that they are there to 'assist' & not as revenue earners & do not have targets.

Also get rid of the black para-military uniform................something in a nice pastel shade would be much more appropriate.
That's not a joke btw.

Last edited by legb4rsk; 05 January 2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05 January 2013, 05:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was once parked on double yellows waiting for the wife .... a warden came up and told me that he is printing out a ticket.

I drove, very slowly, backwards - and then forwards ..... they cannot put a ticket on a moving vehicle, you see?
Old 05 January 2013, 06:38 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I wonder what they would do if you put your wipers on full blast and just left them like that.
Old 05 January 2013, 06:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

**** on the windows proabaly
Old 05 January 2013, 07:19 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I have a number for the Leeds Parking Authority as a lot of jobs I get are in Parking Permit Only areas (LS2, LS9 and LS15 mainly) and not all of the tenants/home owners have Visitor Pass tickets for us to put in our vans.

I once called the number, gave my vehicle details and confirmed that it is a British Gas marked/Signed van, I asked for 90mins and was permitted 2 hours and was told they would inform the local wardens.

Just 45mins into my visit I came out to get something out of my van to find a ticket on my windscreen. Called the number to explain but was told abruptly to submit an "appeal" in writing. It took two weeks for them to admit it was an illegally issued ticket.
Old 05 January 2013, 07:42 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I visited Rochdale, bought a 3 hour ticket, got a bit lost and was 3hours 6minutes. There was a ticket waiting for me. I appealed it as I clearly wasnt trying to flout the parking system stating that 6 minutes out of 3 hours called for some discretion on their part. They couldnt even be bothered to acknowledge my point. Just said I needed to pay as I was out of time.
Old 05 January 2013, 07:54 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Originally Posted by BULLITT
I once called the number, gave my vehicle details and confirmed that it is a British Gas marked/Signed van, I asked for 90mins and was permitted 2 hours and was told they would inform the local wardens.

Just 45mins into my visit I came out to get something out of my van to find a ticket on my windscreen. Called the number to explain but was told abruptly to submit an "appeal" in writing. It took two weeks for them to admit it was an illegally issued ticket.
And they(traffic wardens etc) wonder why people have a bad impression of them.

North Tyneside Council are sneaky *******. They have a Toyota Aygo, with a camera on a periscope! Very discreet signage on the side and park it in amongst other parked cars.

Up periscope and away they go issuing tickets aplenty without ever getting out the car.
Old 06 January 2013, 07:41 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

My tyre went flat in one once so had to leave my car there. Returned to my car and had a ticket only it wasn't filled out regularly. Instead it read "you have a flat tyre, take as much time as you need, Yours, A Fellow Scooby Owner "

Old 06 January 2013, 08:45 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well
22 years ago my ex was a traffic warden for the local constabulary before the council took over the job
Suited her nasty evil personailty

They didn't have targets as such but they were very competitive and the first thing they did when they met up on breaks and an end of a shift was compare how many tickets they issued

They looked after their own and I remember any of their own fellow workers used a symbol next to their tax disc so they would not get tickets

She got a lot of abuse of people and was assaulted once and the guy was arrested and dealt with then a severe fine too
Hitting a traffic warden was a no no as they were part of the constabulary and she was always looked after by the small shopkeepers with cups of tea and cakes on her regular rounds as they were the addional eyes and ears if the police

In them days training was good and common sense was applied as they had to keep the traffic moving and recruits were carefully vetted same as the normal police

After government cuts they were all made redundant and the local council took over the job salerys were really poor compared to the constabulary positions and the quality of the job suffered with generally the position of the job went to power crazed people
It's a hard cold job out on all hours and they get lots of abuse and very few thanks for little money and I assume they will have unofficial targets now to achieve to make them pay thier way otherwise their depArtments could suffer cutbacks
Old 06 January 2013, 10:36 AM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

agree completely . same goes for the police. theres good and bad in all walks of life . just imagine life and society without them .
Old 06 January 2013, 10:48 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevo10
agree completely . same goes for the police. theres good and bad in all walks of life . just imagine life and society without them .

Sadly seeing how some idiots park we need them.

Quick Reply: Traffic Wardens..yes they are mini Hitlers!!!